• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr [ENDED]

Brue critted Gnoll2. On her 2d6 crit roll, she rolled a 4 and a 1. She has Great Weapon Fighting, so I think she should re-roll the 1 for the crit? We've never discussed whether GWF applies to crits. In case you decide it does, here's the re-roll:

[roll0]

Without the re-roll, Brue deals 14 damage to Gnoll2. With the re-roll, Brue deals 15 damage to Gnoll2.

Also, I just realized that I've had a 3.x convention stuck in my head regarding movement and diagonals. In 3.x, two diagonals counted as 15' of movement. I can see nothing in the 5e PHB that overtly discusses this, so am left with the impression that in 5e two diagonals is 10'.

And the sky fell.

I'll let the spell drop. None of the enemies are contained in it, and I doubt anyone would willingly enter it.
I don't think it'll come into play here, but it could in a more limited environment were we more tightly sardined. At some point, Brue will probably attempt an Athletics check to shove a foe. If that happens and she's successful, she might could shove someone into the AoE of a spell.

Forged Fury

First Post
Also, I just realized that I've had a 3.x convention stuck in my head regarding movement and diagonals. In 3.x, two diagonals counted as 15' of movement. I can see nothing in the 5e PHB that overtly discusses this, so am left with the impression that in 5e two diagonals is 10'.
I think the PHB says 5' per square, regardless of diagonal. The DMG mentions an optional rule of 5'/10' diagonal from 3.X. For simplicity, we're using the 5' per square for movement and range (spells, bows, etc).

Forged Fury

First Post
[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] Is Lorenzo wearing his shield? My tracker had his AC at 19, but you're showing it at 17. The first attack against him would have still missed just barely, but wanted to make sure I had the numbers right on my stat tracker.

hafrogman

Adventurer
[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] Is Lorenzo wearing his shield? My tracker had his AC at 19, but you're showing it at 17. The first attack against him would have still missed just barely, but wanted to make sure I had the numbers right on my stat tracker.
Your tracker is right, but I assumed he wouldn't have been wearing his shield when driving the cart, and since it's a full action to put it on, he's had other things to do. It's strapped to his back right now.

Edit: Also. Magic item wishlist: Shield of Ease - a shield that can be readied with an object interaction. Also doubles as a pillow.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
OK, thanks. I'll probably let him wear his shield while driving the cart in the future. I know 5E doesn't have distinctions between light and heavy shields, but I think you could still hold reins if you wanted to do so.

We actually had a GWF conversation in this thread a few days ago but I don't think you were part of it. GWF applies to all damage dice, even those from crits.
Face palm. Actually, I was totally present and involved in that bit on conversation. Just plumb forgot that express mention was made of crits. :( Thanks for the gentle reminder. It's been an unusually busy week.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads