OOC: The Enemy Within, using 4E

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I'm cool with not getting magic items so long as Dr Simon recognizes that 4e has an absolute assumption that players have a certain level of equipment at every level to be able to defeat "level-appropriate" encounters. Without magic items, monsters will need to have downward adjustments to defenses and we'll need more time to rest in between encounters.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I didn't say no magic items, only that magic items (and money) are harder to come by in this campaign. But as the campaign is written with that in mind, you won't come into situations where the lack of them will harm you. Well, probably not.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
It would be more challenging this way :) And it's not like there won't be magic, it's just that Kildrak will have to make them. So think long and hard if you want weapons/armor or wondrous because I'm getting only one of them :)

Also, there are rules for inherent bonuses (as a math fix). Example is Athas/Dark sun.

Walking Dad

First Post

Also, there are rules for inherent bonuses (as a math fix). Example is Athas/Dark sun.
And in the DMG2. It basically gives enhancement bonuses (the same as weapons, armor and neck items give) on certain levels. This is much easier as judging the changed difficult of the encounter or downgrade the monsters each time.

Insight

Adventurer
And in the DMG2. It basically gives enhancement bonuses (the same as weapons, armor and neck items give) on certain levels. This is much easier as judging the changed difficult of the encounter or downgrade the monsters each time.

I would recommend this to deal with the math issue if we're not getting the "normal" amount of items and gold.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Well, don't apply anything yet. Let me look them over in more detail first. Part of the "feel" of the campaign is that the characters are a bit more vulnerable than usual. Mind you, WHFRP criticals are pretty decisive....

Dr Simon

Explorer
Re: Money.

The setting, and the campaign in general, are fairly tight-fisted when it comes to found treasure, particularly compared to D&D of any edition. Whilst I've converted encounter stats, I've not altered the treasure in any way. Coming up, however, are some opportunities to make money in other ways...

Walking Dad

First Post
If we do a low money game, may I suggest the alternate reward rules as found in the DMG2 or Darksun? Basically giving fixed enhancement bonuses to attack and defenses at certain level and provide alternatives to the other effects of magic items.

Remove ads