[OOC] The Fifth City

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Of course! I seriously regret not being able to finish that campaign. I've revised the setting a few times since then and am currently using it for my home campaign (D&D Next rules).

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
By the way, Voda Vosa , Shayuri and [MENTION=11732]Helfdan[/MENTION] (brother to Ragnor Lothbrook?) are still about. You want me to shake them out the amond trees??

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
If you want. I'd be happy to have them (I'm going to be playing with Voda and Shayuri in the Jade Regent PbP that Tailspinner has started up...if I can find time to get my character done).

Scotley

Hero
Ideas are coming together in my head for a young man with a fascination for games, puzzles and mysteries. I see him and a combination gambler/investigator. Any thought on how that might fit in with the world? Would there be a place for someone like that in the establishment or should he be a sort of independent private eye type? I'm thinking he ended up in the Fifth City because his father was an architect or builder who worked on the city.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Works quite well, especially if the gambling is a problem he is trying to get over. The city's governor may see the character's potential and gives him a chance to prove himself as part of the city's constabulary (an investigator, specifically).

The father angle works quite well, also. The father has fallen on hard times but refuses to leave due to a superstition...he was on the construction crew for all of the artificial cities. The first four were either destroyed or vanished shortly after he left so he refuses to leave the Fifth City because he believes if he does something terrible will happen.

Does that work for you?

Scotley

Hero
Absolutely, I like it. I wasn't really seeing the gambling as a problem, but it is easy enough to make it one. He sees it as part of the puzzle/game thing. Puzzling out what cards the other players are holding is very stimulating to him. Of course learning to solve those puzzles may involve losing more money than he can afford. He isn't interested in games of pure chance, but instead ones more like poker where figuring the odds and predicting what the other players are doing are central to the game.

I like your take on the father's reasons. Now that I have a sense of who this guy is I'll start trying to make the number fit.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Of course! I seriously regret not being able to finish that campaign. I've revised the setting a few times since then and am currently using it for my home campaign (D&D Next rules).

*SIGH* I really enjoyed that campaign!

I am thinking a wizard, apprenticed to a greater wizard, both members of the Corps of Magi.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Excellent! Any ideas on the mentor? Here are a couple of suggestions that will fit the overall story of the campaign...

A high-ranking member of the Corps who, after finishing your character's training, was assigned to a secret division of the Corps...your character has heard rumors but nothing concrete...something about enhancing inherent magical ability.

OR

A high-ranking member of the Corps who is a member of the enforcement branch of the Corps. Non-magical folk distrust mages and so the Corps is left to police itself. The rules are quite strict...to protect the mundanes of course.

Remove ads