[OOC] The Fifth City

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
What else can I know about Wizards of the realm? If I plan on taking a PRC like spell blade, what elite group would this be a part of? I would like to know to feat prep and write up a history and background appropriate Pleeeeeze!

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
The only prestige classes available are in the DMG (remember, we're just using the Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium in addition to the core rulebooks).

Non-human wizards and sorcerers have fewer restraints and laws governing their magic and casting but they are still quite rare. Among humans, arcane casters are simultaneously second-class citizens and a mysterious elite - they have power that the common person doesn't understand and fears and so they are forced to wear black uniforms and gloves to clearly identify themselves.

Regarding prestige classes...

Arcane Archers are elven, obviously, and elite leaders of the Warrior Caste.

Arcane Tricksters are the leaders of the rogue mage movement, those who have fled the Corps of Magi and hide among other races or on distant colonies, actively working toward destroying the Corps and freeing their fellow mages (whether they want to be freed or not).

Archmages are legendary and no race can currently claim to have an archmage among them.

Dragon Disciples are also extraordinarily rare and have no organization or cohesion. House Rule: Dragon Disciples gain a caster level whenever their advancement table indicates they would gain bonus spells.

Eldritch Knights have two distinct origins. One is among the elves. Elven Eldritch Knights are similar to Arcane Archers, elite leaders of the Warrior Caste. The other is among the human Corps of Magi, a very new division of the Corps, selected from those who fought in the Elf/Human War and trained to emulate the elven Eldritch Knights.

Loremasters among the Corps of Magi are keepers of the Corps' history and secrets and are among the top level leadership of the Corps. There are also Loremasters of other races, including the elven Religious Caste, though they operate quite differently than those in the Corps.

Mystic Theurges are almost exclusively members of the elven Religious Caste, seeking to unlock the world's secrets and commune with the world directly.

Red Wizards are the leaders of the Corps of Magi, with their highest ranking members advising the King directly on matters of magic. Induction into the Red Wizards means learning the Corps darkest secrets and serving in a leadership position.

Scott DeWar

Magi pedigrees

I just had a thought on wizards and keeping their 'true name' secret. What if each Apprentice takes the name of their teacher, so that "Nikademes" might be the 64th magi by that name. When they change to another corp, or PRC, they add the name of their sponsor.

Re:

Teacher: Nikademas LXIII taught Nikademas LXIV. Nik LXIII went on to work for super secret Karl XXII, so his name is now Nikademas LXIII-Karl XXIII Or could be known by his superiors as Nikademas Karl.

Nik . LXVI went on [in future] to Corps of Magi to train under his sponsor Dontrius CXI so is known amoungst Magi as Nikademas Dontrius, but his trainer Nik LXIII being under a secret organization would still be known by other magi as Nikademas LXIII.

Does this make sense?

. . . . .

C4R9! I erased my previous thoughts!

thoughts going toward this:
Eldritch Knights have two distinct origins. One is among the elves. Elven Eldritch Knights are similar to Arcane Archers, elite leaders of the Warrior Caste. The other is among the human Corps of Magi, a very new division of the Corps, selected from those who fought in the Elf vs Human War and trained to emulate the elven Eldritch Knights.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Minor correction - Fought against the elves in the Elf/Human War. ;) Some elements in the human kingdom, including some high ranking members of the Corps of Magi, still hold a grudge against the elves and wouldn't mind another shot at beating the elves, using some of their own tricks against them this time around.

Scott DeWar

Minor correction - Fought against the elves in the Elf/Human War. ;) Some elements in the human kingdom, including some high ranking members of the Corps of Magi, still hold a grudge against the elves and wouldn't mind another shot at beating the elves, using some of their own tricks against them this time around.

ah, understood.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I like a good swashbuckling game. I have a few 3.5ed characters on my bucket list I want to try.

However, limiting to PBH classes is probably hurting your recruiting. I might consider playing a swashbuckler or a duskblade if you will expand sources allowed.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I like a good swashbuckling game. I have a few 3.5ed characters on my bucket list I want to try.

However, limiting to PBH classes is probably hurting your recruiting. I might consider playing a swashbuckler or a duskblade if you will expand sources allowed.

I'm using the recent premium reprints and trying to keep things simple. I have come to appreciate the lack of clutter that (mostly) core only provides.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Minor bump.

I'd like to have stats in hand and get started by mid-month (the 15th ish).

I'll set up a Rogues Gallery thread tomorrow sometime.

Scott DeWar

I am trying to get internet at home so I have access to all my books and such. I keep forgetting to look at the point costs.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
MV said:
Minor bump.

I'd like to have stats in hand and get started by mid-month (the 15th ish).

I'll set up a Rogues Gallery thread tomorrow sometime.
I took some time to consider some Core only builds, but I am not excited about them. I will have to pass.

Remove ads