[OOC] Underdogs [a core dnd game][4/4]

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm getting Mogro together, he should be posted by the end of today. Although... I'm on vacation all next week so I won't be online to post unfortunately. If this precludes me from participating... I understand. But if Mogro can show up late to the party, then that'd be awesome. Up to you, doghead.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Code:
[B]Name:[/B]       [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Mogro Bardican[/B][/COLOR]
[B]Class:[/B]      Fighter
[B]Race:[/B]       Halfork
[B]Size:[/B]       Medium
[B]Gender:[/B]     Male
[B]Alignment:[/B]  Neutral Good     

[B]Str:[/B] 18 +4 (10p.)     [B]Level:[/B]    4     [B]XP:[/B]   10,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2  (6p.)     [B]BAB:[/B]     +4     [B]Speed:[/B]   20'
[B]Con:[/B] 16 +3 (10p.)     [B]Defense:[/B] +8     [B]Init:[/B]    +2
[B]Int:[/B] 08 -1  (2p.)     [B]Soak:[/B]    +9
[B]Wis:[/B] 10 +0  (2p.)     
[B]Cha:[/B] 08 -1  (2p.)     

[B]Con  Armor  NatArm  Size  Misc[/B]
[B]Soak:[/B]    +10           +3    +7     +0     +0    --

[B]BDB   Dex   Shield  Size  Misc[/B]
[B]Defense:[/B]  +8           +4    +2     +2     +0    --

[B]Base  Mod  Misc[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]  +7              +4    +3   --
[B]Ref:[/B]   +3              +1    +2   --
[B]Will:[/B]  +1              +1    +0   --

[B]Weapon:               Attack  Damage  Critical[/B]
Bastardsword +1       +10     1d10+7    19-20
Dagger                 +8      1d4+4    19-20
Lance                  +8      1d8+4     x3
Longbow                +6      1d8       x3

[B]Languages:[/B] Speak Grell, Dornish

[B]Abilities:[/B]
Darkvision 30' (Halfork)
Orc Blood (Halfork)

[B]Feats:[/B]
Bastardsword Proficiency (Gen1)
Bastardsword Focus (Fig1)
Mounted Combat (Fig2)
Powerful Charge (Gen3)
Bastardsword Specialization (Fig4)

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 21      [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 7

[B]Skills:               Ranks  Mod  Misc[/B]
Climb +6                2     +4   --
Handle Animal +6        7     -1   --
Jump +6                 2     +4   --
Perception +2           2     +0   --
Ride +9                 7     +2   --
Speak Dornish           1

[B]Equipment:                Cost  Weight[/B]
Backpack                   2gp     2lb
Bedroll                    1sp     5lb
Belt Pouches (2)           2gp     1lb
Flint & Steel              1gp     0lb
Lantern, Hooded            7gp     2lb
Oil (3)                    3sp     3lb
Rations (4 days)           2gp     4lb
Waterskin                  1gp     4lb
Whetstone                  2cp     1lb

Bastardsword +1         2335gp     6lb
Dagger                     2gp     1lb
Longbow                   75gp     3lb
Arrows (40)                2gp     6lb
Lance                     10gp    10lb
Banded Mail +1          1350gp    35lb               
Shield, Lg Metal          20gp    15lb

Warhorse, Heavy          400gp
Barding, Chainmail       700gp    80lb
Bit & Bridle               2gp     1lb
Saddle, Military          20gp    30lb
Saddlebags                 4gp     8lb

Total 4996.42

[B]Total Weight:[/B] 98lb
[B]Money:[/B] 3gp 5sp 8cp

Appearance: Mogro is actually rather short for a half-orc, only 5'8". However, whatever he loses in height he more than makes up for in girth. Weighing in at 265lbs, the thickness of his chest, arms and legs makes him look almost like a bulldog walking upright. His skin is pale peach tinted with just a hint of green, his long, black hair covers his entire body, and his pronounced canines have been capped with attractive gold bands. If you look straight at him you will notice his lazy right eye, and coupled with his less-than-perfect speech, the overall effect is that he is a man made for fighting and not for diplomacy. However, with the large smile he tends to always wear, Mogro does not necessarily seem the fighting type.

History: It is unknown how many generations back the Bardican line has lived in Horak-krel. All Mogro knows is that his family has been a respected member of the community since he can remember, although his father's job has caused some costernation at various points. His father, Malco Bardican, was a soldier in one of the kingdom's mercenary companies, the Flying Serpents. He spent his days traveling to and from the various hamlets throughout the Hella kingdom, protecting them from the overt and covert threats. When Malco declared his intention of working for the kingdom in this manner, many of the Bardican family were troubled by this... as it was thought that if he intended a life of defense, he would better serve the community by defending Horak-krel itself rather than leave home. However, Malco had a calling for a greater service, and thus he journeyed out from the village to join the Serpents. Mogro's mother, Terga, thus became the quintessential solder's wife. While Malco would be gone for weeks at a time, she would be at home in Horak-krel raising the family's three children (of which Mogro was second oldest and the only boy). What might be surprising is that despite her husband having left the settlement to earn his keep away from home, Terga dealt with the situation and raising of the children admirably. Terga became a respected and beloved member of the community and the Fall, and she passed those values onto her children. Mogro learned early on to respect the differences in all people, became well-liked, took an active hand in the settlement's actions, and was always willing to help his fellow grell.

Following in his father's footsteps was always the plan for Mogro. Despite his lack of height, he took to a work ethic that produced a strong, healthy young man. And although he was not as bright as his two sisters, he nonetheless earned the respect of the folks in Horak-krel and the neighboring town due to his feats of physicality. He seemed to have a way with horses, and he developed a good rapport with them. Riding and animal care became paramount as he got older, and Mogro hoped that when he reached his majority, he might join the Flying Serpents as a mounted warrior and join his father. However, once he became of age, it was seen that Mogro's perceived lack of mental acuity would make an immediate move into the Serpents an impossibility. Father and son both decided that the best way for Mogro to prove his mettle was to gain experience first as part of the settlement's defenses. Mogro and Malco both hope that with a couple years of hard work defending Horak-krel and learning the basics of a military life, advancement into Serpents will not be far down the road.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Defcon: I'll have a look over the character sheet off line. Being delayed a week won't be a problem, if you don't mind me slotting Mogro into the ic thread. Otherwise it could take a few weeks to bring in new people. FWhich is why I was planning to borrow Mogro and a few other concepts anyways. If people got their characters finished, they could jump right in. If not, I would keep them as NPC's. Waste not want not.

Everyone. As always, feel free to post up thoughts, suggestions, alterations or additions. When we have settled on what we like, I'll try and get it all incorporated into one post at the beginning of the thread.

covaithe. Hopefully this should help somewhat with your favoured enemy choice. But my advice is pick something you think is cool - odds are you will encounter them.

--- MORE SETTING INFORMATION ---

-- The Region and its Dangers --

There are many dangers in the temperate forests, lowlands, hills and mountains around Horak-krel. Wild animals are perhaps the most common. Dire animals occasionally are encountered. But while dangerous, these creature are not necessarily overtly hostile. That honour usually goes to humans. Bands of bandits sometimes make their home in the wild lands around settlements, raiding and looting both grell and human communities alike. And the men tasked with stopping them are often little better. Many of them see little difference between bandits and grell. Occasionally, savage tribesmen from over the mountains cross the passes to raid the kingdom. But this hasn't happened in almost a decade.

Then there are the magical and often monstrous beasts. Some of them keep to themselves, others are as likely to help as to harm. But others still are vicious and dangerous predators attacking and killing anything they see as weaker than themselves. Every old hunter has a tale, or two if they are lucky, of an encounter with such creatures.

Almost always dangerous are the goblins and giant races - trolls, ogres as well as giants. True, the latter are almost never seen. But they are there in the depths of the forests and reaches of the mountains. And they have little time or regard for the smaller races. Goblins on the other hand are far more numerous. And in numbers, they can be exceptionally dangerous. Especially when they have worgs with them. Goblins are aggressive, cruel and destructive. Mostly this energy is directed at other clans; the goblins are almost always feuding between themselves. But occasionally it can be directed outward at others in the form of raids on settlements, farms and travellers. The goblins rarely leave any bodies behind. No one really knows what happens to those capture as few have escaped to tell. But the rumours of what happens to those taken are usually terrible. They speak of live sacrifices, cannibalism, slavery and torture.

There is reputed to be a Whar stonghold in the Whelk mountains. But the Whar are notoriously secretive about the locations of their stong-holds. Few outsiders are ever invited to enter them, and those that are rarely speak of their location. Several days south and west of Horak-krel there is a Nikoba village. The Nikoba rarely travel to Horak, but occasionally they can be seen in town.

Finally the fey. Fickle, clever, and imperious, they fiercely protect those parts of the land they claim as their own. They tolerate few to enter. Those that stumble into the territory of a fey creature are usually evicted in short order. Often with little real understanding or memory of what happened.

-- Grell Society, The Elders --

Grell settlements are ruled by a loose group known as elders. Any grell with grandchildren is automatically considered an elder, and entitled to attend the council meetings. Indeed, they are somewhat expected to. From the elders a smaller council is chosen. These are the Honoured, grell of significant standing in their Krel. The decision making process in grell society is generally quite inclusive. Issues are raised in open meetings which any who are interested my attend. After hearing all sides, the elders retire to discuss the situation before themselves leaving the final decision to the Honoured. Although the Honoured have the final say, their decisions are expected to reflect the views of the community.

The shaman has a special place in the process. He, or she, is automatically considered and elder, and membership of the Honoured is almost universal. Students of the shaman are not included among the elders unless they meet the requirements.

-- Grell Society, Children --

Grells do not marry in the way humans do. Customarily, when grells mate, the female does not leave her hall to live with the male, nor vice versa. The mother stays with her clan, and the child stays with its mother. The father is expected to contribute to the upkeep and upbringing of the child however. And when the child reaches adolescence, it commonly will spend significant periods of time living at its father's Fall.

[[OK. This bit may conflict with a few of the backgrounds, especially where father's feature significantly. We can always ditch it, or perhaps have the child raised in the father's fall once it is weaned.]]

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
Nice work Defcon. It all seems pretty straight.

Everyone: A note on GNG combat. Combat is a contested roll, attack vs defence. The attacker, if successful, takes any overkill as a bonus to damage. For example, the attacker rolls 13+5 for 18. The defender rolls 8+6 for 14. The attacker is successful and adds +4 to his damage, along with the usual enchantment, strength etc bonuses. Critical hits are scored if the attacker bests the defender by an amount determined by the weapon used. 10+ for a weapon with a threat range of 20. 8+ for a weapon with a threat range of 19-20.

I'll handle the combat off stage, but I just wanted to point out a couple of things.

ethandrew. If you are still with us, special attacks work pretty much as per the core rules. There are some minor adjustments sometimes. Touch Attacks get a bonus of +4, as the GnG rules already ignore armour for the purpose of determining hits. So this would affect any grappling attacks.

doghead
aka thotd

covaithe

Explorer
Updated character sheet for Assaq. Changes:
- added animal companion (wolf)
- redid equipment, which affected attacks, soak, and money.
- added +1 soak for Toughness feat, which I forgot the first time
- added description
- added background (nothing new, just compiled what I wrote elsewhere)
- added favored enemy humanoid(goblinoid)

[sblock=Assaq take 2]
Name: Assaq
XP: 6000
Class: Ranger 4
Race: Grell (Half-orc)
Size: Medium
Alignment: LN

Str: 14 +2 ( 4p, +2 race)
Dex: 15 +2 ( 6p, +1 level)
Con: 16 +3 (10p.)
Int: 10 +0 ( 4p, -2 race)
Wis: 14 +2 ( 6p.)
Cha: 8 -1 ( 2p, -2 race)

BAB: +4
Init: +2
Speed: 30'
Grapple: -1
ACP: -1

Saves:
Fort: +7 (4 base, +3 con)
Ref: +6 (4 base, +2 dex)
Will: +3 (1 base, +2 dex)

Attacks
+1 Composite Longbow (+2 str): +7, 1d8+2 (x3) piercing
+1 Composite Longbow (+2 str), full attack: +5/+5, 1d8+2 (x3) piercing
Longsword: +6, 1d8+2 (19-20x2) slashing

Soak: 9 (+3 con, +5 armor, +1 Toughness)
Defense:
With bow: +6 (4 BAB, +2 dex)
With sword and shield: +8 (4 BAB, +2 dex, +2 shield)

Common modifiers:
Ranged attack within 30 feet: +1 attack (point blank shot)
vs. humanoid (goblinoid) +2 damage

Languages: Speak Grell

Abilities:
Darkvision 60' (race)
Favored enemy: Humanoid (goblinoid) (Ranger 1)
Track (Ranger 1)
Wild Empathy (Ranger 1)
Rapid Shot (Ranger 2)
Endurance (Ranger 3)
Animal Companion (Ranger 4)

Feats:
Track (Ranger 1)
Rapid Shot (Ranger 2)
Endurance (Ranger 3)
Point Blank Shot (clvl 1)
Toughness (GnG: +1 soak) (clvl 3)

[sblock=Skills]
Code:
[B]Skill Points:[/B]   (6 +0 (int) +2 (houserule))*4 + (6 +0 +2 )*ranger lvl = 64
[B]Max Ranks:[/B] 7/3.5
 +0 Appraise (0 ranks +0 int)
 +1 Balance (0 ranks +2 dex -1 armor)
 -1 Bluff (0 ranks, -1 cha)
 +5 Climb (4 ranks, +2 str, -1 armor)
 +3 Concentration (0 ranks, +3 con)
 +3 Craft (Bowmaking) (3 ranks, +0 int)
 -1 Diplomacy (0 ranks, -1 cha)
 -1 Disguise (0 ranks, -1 cha)
 +1 Escape artist (0 ranks, +2 dex, -1 armor)
 +0 Forgery 
 -1 Gather information (0 ranks, -1 cha)
 +6 Handle animal (7 ranks, -1 cha)
 +3 Heal (1 rank, +2 wis)
 +8 Stealth (7 ranks, +2 dex, -1 armor)
 -1 Intimidate (0 ranks, -1 cha)
 +3 Jump (2 ranks, +2 str, -1 armor)
 +4 knowledge(geography) (4 ranks, +0 int)
 +7 knowledge(nature) (7 ranks, +0 int)
 +3 knowledge(local) (3 ranks, +0 int)
 +9 Perception (7 ranks, +2 wis)
 +2 Ride (0 ranks, +2 dex)
 +7 Search (7 ranks, +0 int)
 +2 Sense motive (0 ranks, +2 wis)
 +9 Survival (7 ranks, +2 wis)
 +2 Swim (2 ranks, +2 str, -2 armor)
 +2 Use rope (0 ranks, +2 dex)

Languages:
 Speak Grell (free)
 Write Grell (1 rank)
 Speak Dornish (1 rank)
 Speak Trader (1 rank)
[/sblock]

[sblock=equipment]
Code:
Wt:  Paid:      Description:
 -      -       Explorer's outfit
 3   2600       [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm]+1 [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#longbowComposite]Composite Longbow[/url] (+2 str)
 9      3       60 arrows
25   1250       [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm]+1[/url] [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#tableArmorandShields]chain
shirt[/url]
 4     15       Longsword
10      7       Heavy wooden shield
 -    750       Wand of [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/cureLightWounds.htm]Cure Light Wounds[/url], CL 1, 50 charges remaining

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]                58    116   175
[B]Total weight carried:[/B] 51
[/sblock]

Money: 375g

Spells: Ranger spell list
Spells per day: 1/0/0/0
Save DC: 12 + spell lvl
Spells prepared: 1: Entangle

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 170lb
Eyes: black
Hair: brown
Skin: greenish brown?
Appearance:
Assaq is a slenderly built grell of medium height, with weather-darkened
skin and close-cropped dark hair. He wears nondescript dark clothing that
seems to blend into the shadows. He wears a plain longsword in a
scabbard, a small wooden shield slung over his back, and carries a large,
beautifully wrought longbow. Those with keen ears can occasionally hear
the clink of mail under his clothes.

Background:
Assaq was a quiet child, more likely to spend hours sitting motionless observing birds and animals than to play with other children. The elders of Horak-krel, taking notice of this, apprenticed him early to the clan's hunters. He quickly showed talent at shooting small game, and came to take pride in providing a valuable service to the village. When he grew to full size, he began to train with martial weapons, and was soon invited to accompany the senior hunters on expeditions to clear away dangerous vermin from the surrounding countryside and, on rare occasions, to raid nearby settlements.

Now Assaq is a trusted member of the clan's hunters, but still leads a fairly solitary life. He often volunteers for patrols that take him deep into the surrounding wilderness alone. He speaks little, preferring patient observation and swift action. He has great respect for the clan elders, and is perfectly comfortable taking any means necessary in carrying out their instructions.

Assaq is from a poor fell, led by an old grell named Beteq. When Assaq was young, Beteq's fell endured a number of years of hard times. Despite help from other fells, debt, poor harvests and sickness sent some to an early pyre, and others to seek their fortune elsewhere in the world, both of which weakened the fell further. Among those who died were Assaq's parents. Now, Beteq's fell is doing better, thanks partly to Assaq's hunting and bowmaking, but mostly to the general improvements in the village's fortunes caused by the influence of the shamen.

[sblock=money tracking]
Code:
 5000g Starting gold
-2600  [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm]+1[/url] [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#longbowComposite]Composite Longbow[/url] (+2 str)
   -3  60 arrows
-1250  [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm]+1[/url] chain shirt
  -15  Longsword
   -7  Heavy wooden shield
 -750  Wand of Cure Light Wounds, CL 1

Current total:
375g
[/sblock]

[sblock=xp]
6000 starting xp (4th level)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Animal Companion]
Ranger animal companion: Wolf
Typical for its kind, except for the following special abilities: Link, Share spells, 1 bonus trick: Attack

[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Jemal

Adventurer
just for the record, if you ever start a game not using GnG, I got dibs. ;)
Have fun with this one guys, I would've joined but GnG is not my cup of tea.

Good luck, oh Head of the Dog.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Hey Jemal, I really did try with this setting*, honestly. I gave it my best shot. It was going to be core rules, no exceptions. I just couldn't do it. The best I could do was leave it up to the players to call, and fortunately, they took pity on me. So odds are I'll never run a game that's not GnG.

Personally, having seen a few of your characters, I think you you might like the GnG rules. There isn't the separation between fighting skill and damage. You can put together some brutal combinations. Your fighting skill is also reflected in your ability to avoid getting hurt. If you ever feel like giving it a shot, you know where to find me.

* Actually, this is my second idea for a setting. The first was inspired by the first post of your Final Fantasy J. game. I had several pages of background worked out before I realised that I was biting off more than I could handle at the moment. The more unique the setting, the more effort needed to ensure everyone is on the same page. So that one is on the back-burner for the moment. I don't think I will have the time to run a second game for a while.

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
covaithe. Your skill points should be 56 [(6+2)*4 + (6+2)*ranger level-1]. Your first level has been double counted otherwise. I missed this last time. Sorry. Otherwise, it all seems to be good.

The Rogues Gallery is up. And the game has a name - Underdogs.

covaithe, defcon, feel free to post your characters to the Rogues Gallery thread here.

So, the situation so far:

Character Completed:
Assaq, a male grell ranger played by covaithe.
Mogro, a male grell fighter played by defcon1.

Concept Submitted:
Trav’nul, a male grell druid played by Fenris
Sebastian, a male grell sorcerer played by Lord Raven88.

Expressions of Interest:
a grell rogue played by mellub.
a grell blacksmith played by DrZidiot :)

I am still aiming for a Monday kickoff, about 24 hours from now. I might change plans however, and run a short encounter first with Assaq, and anyone else who has completed their character sheet. We should knock it over in a week or two, allowing for Mogro to step in when Defcon gets back.

doghead
aka thotd

Remove ads