[OOC] Underdogs [a core dnd game][4/4]

covaithe

Explorer
I'm doing some international travel over the next week or so. I expect to have internet access pretty much the whole time, and should be able to keep posting regularly, but there might be days when I'm too busy or can't get online or whatever. Just FYI.

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

No problem covaithe. Don't sweat it if you can't post up for a few days. Its not like you will be holding anyone else up at the moment :)

Speaking of others, obviously DEFCON1 is in a position to jump right in. I hoping he will. But he doesn't reappear, and no one else completes characters, are you interested in pushing on one-on-one?

doghead
aka thotd

Fenris

Adventurer
Hi Doghead,
Sorry for my absence. A whirlwind of family activities to inaugarate summer left me too tired to post at night. I'll get Trav'nul finished up very quickly here (you know after tonight's picnic and fireworks ;) )

Fenris

doghead

thotd
Great to have you back Fenris. Things have slowed a little as covaithe is travelling and DEFCON1 is on holidays for a few more days. So you should have some time.

doghead
aka thotd

covaithe

Explorer
doghead said:
But he doesn't reappear, and no one else completes characters, are you interested in pushing on one-on-one?
I'm interested in continuing, but I'd rather have other players around. There doesn't usually seem to be a shortage of players around here. Though, all of the threads I follow ahve been pretty quiet the last week or two; I wonder if this is just a slow time of year.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Sorry about this doghead, but I'm going to have to pull out of this game. I in the planning stages of DMing another adventure, so I don't want to overextend myself just yet.

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

Sorry to see you go Lord Raven88. I was looking forward to see how your grell sorcerer worked out. But I know where you are coming from. Starting a game, even a simple one like this, is fairly demanding on your time and attention. You are right to be cautious about getting committed. It can burn you out. Good luck with your game.

I might yoink a couple of your background ideas if you don't mind.

covaithe. I agree. Playing with others is much more fun. However, I have made so many characters that never really got much of a run that I will try and keep a game going so long as there is even one active player. Hopefully DEFCON and Fenris will be joining us shortly so it won't come to that. With them we shall have three PC's. Three to four was my goal, I think smaller groups make a tighter, faster game.

I spoke to DrZ, he is interested in playing, but right now he doesn't have the time to start anything new. He might turn up down the track.

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

covaithe said:
So, I guess soak really is king.

I tend to think of it as 'size is king'. Larger creatures not only get bonuses to Soak, but also Damage. The giant races (ogres, trolls, and of course giants) are not creatures of fearsome reputation for no reason. Which is how it should be.

covaithe said:
Daunting.

Daunting indeed. There is always the much neglected 'run away' option. For most of those in Hella, this would be the first option. But if the characters stay and fight, those small bonuses can really come in useful. Critical hits can also change the equation significantly. There are a number of options (Blind, Stun, Disable Leg, etc.) but by far the most commonly used, (and the one I use as the default) is Bypass Armour. Light Armour is easier to bypass than heavy, or natural, armour. To threaten a critical hit, the character needs to achieve a certain overkill, dependent on the weapon. A longbow (20x3) threatens if the overkill is 10 or more. A longsword (19-20x2) threatens if the overkill is 8 or more. Higher 'Attack' bonuses mean the character is more likely to achieve a critical hit, which generally favours the PC's.

covaithe said:
A couple of minor quibbles with your math ...

Correct and my mistake. I missed the enchantment bonus on the longbow. I've update my version of your character sheet. Mongro's sister's calculations should have read:

* Mongro's Sister Crossbow (15+3-2) 16 vs Owlbear Def (6+5) 11 = Hit +5 overkill.
* * Dam (5+4) 9 - Soak 14 + 0 wounds

Initially, I forgot the range penalty, which made the overkill +7. I corrected that (which made the overkill +5) and the damage total (9), but forgot to change the 7 to a 5 within the brackets. The damage roll was 4.

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

covaithe said:
I'm confused about the math again in round 4. In Assaq's attack, I assume 16+7+11=24 should be 16+7+1=24, but I can't figure out where the +1 comes from. Also, there seem to be 2 overkill missing in that attack (which is all right, though, since the owlbear somehow acquired an extra -2 penalty against Mogro's attack).

Correct. It should be +1. First I wrote the post with Mogro fighting defensively. Then with Mogro charging, then with him being charged when I realised the owl-bear moved first. Along the way there were a few changes to the math, and sometimes I got a bit addled.

The +1 comes from ... point blank shot. I knew there was something.

And correct. There is +2 overkill missing. Which would give the owl-bear 18 wounds at the end of the round. One -2 comes is a result of charging, the -2 AC in the regular rules. The other -2 comes from its wounds. Wounded characters get penalties on all attack and defence rolls, ability checks, skill checks, and saving throws. So currently (with 18 wounds) the owl-bear is at -4 to rolls.

1-5 wounds: Lightly wounded, no penalty to rolls
6-10 wounds: Moderately Wounded, -1 to rolls.
11-15 wounds: Severely Wounded, -2 to rolls.
16-20 wounds, Critically Wounded, -4 to rolls.

covaithe said:
I hope I'm not being a pain about the math. I'm still trying to make sure I've got this GnG thing figured out. Also, that kind of detail really helps me figure out how different circumstances and tactics affect the outcome, which I think are things that it's appropriate for my character to be paying attention to.

No worries about the questions. That's why I posted the crunch. When players are asking questions, I know they are interested enough to read it. I get more worried when no one is asking any questions.

DEFCON, I have both 1H and 2H attacks listed as +7 damage ( have been using the 2H attacks so far. But you are right, the 2H atatck should have a higher (1.5) dam bonus. If my brain was working, I could work it out.

doghead
aka thotd

Remove ads