• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOTS 0900

Grue

First Post
Looks like a disintegrate spell. Which is an odd choice to use on a high-level fighter.

Pretty sure it's disintegrate.... the green ray is part of the classic description of it (and the see through skin to skeleton the visual shorthand).

I was thinking the same thing...at first blush why would a uber level sorceror lead off with a Fort based save on a higher end level fighter (high enough level to have survived his first major encounter successfully with the lich iirc, and die but give him a run for his money in the second)? Rich is usually reasonably table tactics aware (and works it in as a subtle in-joke on the metagame mechanics of some sort) but disintegrate on a fighter is a subpar targeting choice.

It took me a moment looking at the panel to see that it was Redcloak that hit him with the disintegrate and not Xylon in his flippant casual destructive mode. A 7th level domain spell for clerics of destruction… so it is probably Redcloak’s only damaging spell that can hit at that long range on the clerics spell list without digging through books. I forgot he had it. Still, it’s not a good choice against a fighter...Haley would be the more logical target of first choice if Vaarsuvius wasn’t in the field of fire. She’s the only other competent ranged fighter in the Order, Fort is her secondary save, and he has more reason to hate her than Roy (Roy should have had around a 50/50 of making the save at his level … thinking 26 to 28 DC Fort save max).

Roy may be dead\turned to ashes. Would have to dig through the collection to see how Rich draws disintegrates but with seeing the skeleton underneath I’m leaning toward dead or failed save at the minimum (30 to 40d6?). That being said, it’s possible the OotS could win here…Xykon and crew just survived a massive blast (the cockroaches' Indiana Jones reference), Xykon is pretty hurt, and I don’t think the Monster in the Darkness will show itself without some sort of lantern joke if my guess is right (unless somehow lantern archons pop in).

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Does the Redcloak have a particular dislike of Greenhilt? (Hmm, Red vs. Green.) Simple focused hostility seems to be a fine reason to not go by optimal tactics.

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads