• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOTS #629 is up

LostSoul

Adventurer
The dragon's repeated observations on V's affected sense of aim seems to suggest that it will succeed in its threat, and that V will then suffer enormous guilt at ablating his own abilities to the point that his children were killed because of it (I'm tired of gender-neutering V and will henceforth use the male pronoun!).

I think it's worth noting that V missed because of his guilt. (He can't Trance and that's what's causing him to miss so much.)

I wonder what game system would be best to bring about this sort of thing in play.

mmu1

First Post
Well, I hope this doesn't end up the way it looks likely to - I read OotS for the humor, and frankly I have no desire to see things get that dark.

Michael Morris

First Post
Well, I hope this doesn't end up the way it looks likely to - I read OotS for the humor, and frankly I have no desire to see things get that dark.
Honestly, I predict the next comic will be about Xycon or the Linear Guild (which we haven't seen in over a year now) - This particular arc with V seems done with the dragon gone - and Qarr being able to help this situation seems - forced.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Honestly, I predict the next comic will be about Xycon or the Linear Guild (which we haven't seen in over a year now) - This particular arc with V seems done with the dragon gone - and Qarr being able to help this situation seems - forced.

It kind of reminds me of all those DM horror stories about paladins being forced into falling, but with a wizard substituted for paladin.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think it's worth noting that V missed because of his guilt. (He can't Trance and that's what's causing him to miss so much.)

I wonder what game system would be best to bring about this sort of thing in play.
Just a hefty circumstance penalty. ;)

robertliguori

First Post
Hmm.

Just a thought: If V gets damned, or if his family are destroyed, then he has excellent motivations to free their souls, and his own. Were I in V's situation, I'd totally turn my massive divination research to finding the other gates, kicking them open, and then watching the universe implode, knowing that I'd saved my family from eternal necromantic imprisonment and avoided eternal damnation via the expedient of ending the universe.

I'm also curious about V missing because of his guilt, given as we've seem him throw out non-stop deadly arcana since the beginning of the ship arc.

Plus, what was V's follow-up plan if he had Dimensional Anchored the dragon? The dragon flies away at its ridiculous overland speed until the spell wears off, then teleports.

Merkuri

Explorer
Plus, what was V's follow-up plan if he had Dimensional Anchored the dragon? The dragon flies away at its ridiculous overland speed until the spell wears off, then teleports.

There was no follow-up plan. You were seeing a desperate being grasp at straws.

Imagine you're falling off of a cliff. You're going to try to grasp at little roots and rocks on the side of the cliff as you fall. You're not thinking about what you'll do once you grab a rock and are now stuck on the side of a cliff with no way to get up and only one (undesirable) way to get down. All you want to do is stop falling.

All V wanted to do was stop the dragon. I'm sure there were no deeper plans than that.

Roman

First Post
It was an interesting comic, but I am a bit disappointed that Giant didn't take this opportunity to end the running joke on the gender-ambiguity of V. It was funny for a while, but it is starting to grate on my nerves.

Remove ads