• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOTS 929

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Maybe he decided to port over some Dark Heresy rules. If you are behind cover and the cover takes too much damage, the attack goes right through the cover and can still hit you. Cause in real life bullets can go through wood doors and stuff and this rules represents that.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Or perhaps he has a special NPC DM feat. I've totally done that a few times in my career. Nothing super overtly powerful like +10 to all stats or anything, but just something to give an NPC a cool ability or something that fit with the concept.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
D&D 3.5 is about rules and not story? I ... I don't want to live on this planet anymore ...

:p

Then go play Pathfinder, you whining kid! :devil: Play them Adventure Paths where nearly the same rules are hidden beneath a landslide of background and story. Ask you nanny to run them for you and your childish friends, and let real men discuss the important stuff in peace! :mad:

Nb: Don't take this message serious!

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Then go play Pathfinder, you whining kid! :devil: Play them Adventure Paths where nearly the same rules are hidden beneath a landslide of background and story. Ask you nanny to run them for you and your childish friends, and let real men discuss the important stuff in peace! :mad:

Well that's exactly what I do because Pathfinder is the superior game! Not only does it have more story (and we don't even use the adventure paths - the game is inherently more story-ish) but the rules are so different from that silly numbercrunchfest called 3.5 that it's an entirely different game! It plays different! It plays BETTER!!!!!! So yeah, I'll do what you mockingly suggest I do because it's the right thing for people who play D&D the One True Way to do. Yeah, live with that, poser.

:p

(Man, I love playin' around like this. Thanks, it's fun!! :) )

Grue

First Post

I was going to mention that a company called White Wolf used to put out a couple of games using the Storyteller system (now published by Onyx Path Publishing?). Lots of dice in that one for some reason:).

There might be a feat in 3.5 that allows you to staple through someone (buried somewhere in the stack o books) but maybe Rich switched the rules to Fantasy Hero?:)

Pathfinder APs while better written than most wotc\tsr adventures (Dungeon mag had a number of gems though) might approach the level of background\story details of say the Forgotten Realms (maybe not considering the novel line) but it still plays like 3.5, just with less PRCs and more mechanically unnecessary to bad choices hidden in 'archetypes'. Atlas games' Once Upon a Time might be a better choice.

He has been reasonably reliable with having a internally consistent ruleset for his story and it makes a nice in-joke. Tarquin (and Elan) follow an additional rule that they use and are used by... 'the Narrative'. I get the feeling the fight scene is delibertly following a WWE fighting script (heroes' on the ropes and down twice and so far with one comeback).

If Tarquin wipes most of the OotS that will be interesting story direction and I'm not sure if the heroes have any more resources to pull another reversal (the only 7th cavalry I can think of to show up at this point is a Lich and friends but I forgot what they are doing right now).

edit Hrm...looking back briefly it won't be my favorite Lich. If the OotS gets rescued by the cavalry I don't know what else is available unless some other group was triggered to investigate the destruction of the gate. Don't think any other faction will be added tho so it will end with Elan alive but most of the OotS dead or Tarquin defeated (dead might be a possibility).

Considering Durkon still has to herald the end of the dwarven kingdom he's probably not out of it yet. Belkar tho... (and he might self sacrifice ending up in the wrong afterlife).

Last edited:

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Rich has said in the past that the strip doesn't adhere to 3.5 mechanics. Although based on it, and some early jokes tied itself to 3.0 and then 3.5, he's distanced the comic from being influenced by mechanics over the storytelling.

In other words, everything is houseruled.

Remove ads