Open Call for Writers for Epic/Immortal 4E Books

Hi all! :)

Its pretty apparent that my quagmire pacing is not speeding up. So I am considering (what was suggested a few months ago here) that I take on several additional writers in the renewed effort to actually make some headway towards the 40 or so books I have planned.

My idea at this juncture is to take on three additional writers; divide up the workload roughly 25% each and go for it. Any writer will get an equal share of the pdf/book profits from any sale, which would be 10% based on a 50% art budget, 10% design budget and 40% writing budget. You ain't gonna get rich doing this so its basically got to be a labour of love.

I'm offering this here first, because I want writers primarily interested in Epic Tier (and higher) 4E, but I'll probably take this offer to Dicefreaks, the Main Forum here and likely rpg.net to fill the vacancies.

You would be working to a design brief thats perhaps 67% my ideas and 33% left to your own invention, from a planning/execution standpoint I mean.

The four series you would be working on (assuming we get that far) would be:

- Immortals Handbook (Rules for Level 31+ 4E D&D)
- Epic Bestiaries (Monsters of Levels 21+ )
- Immortals Index (World Mythologies)
- Epic Adventures (Delves for the Epic and eventually higher Tiers)

1. Knowledge of (preferably working knowledge) of 4E is essential.
2. Writing ability (preferably past demonstrated though not necessarily published) will be preferred.
3. Interest in Epic and/or Immortal gaming, as well as mythology is certainly a bonus.

I'll use this thread to discuss the idea itself or details of any of the above. Anyone interested can email me:

agooddesigner@hotmail.com

Belzamus

First Post
Grr...why couldn't you have done this back in 3.X? I would've done anything that needed doing, stats, flavor, editting, whatever.

There's nothing like the SRD for 4E, is there? I don't have the money for the books at all, and none of my friends have them either. I'd love to help, though. I have tons of time to work on things (Like I said before, 10 Ascension First Ones completely statted in one weekend.)

I just...don't know the first thing about 4E. :(

Sorry, U_K. I'd really love to help.

If/When you do conversions back to 3.5, I'd be all on board though.

Edit: I suppose it wasn't apparent, I would've done your 3.5 projects for free, gladly. Just seeing more of your material would have been worth it for me. Oh, well, though. I can always make up my own. (Or buy your 4E PDFs and convert what I like myself).

Last edited:

dyspro

First Post
I have to agree with Belzamus in wishing you had this idea for the 3.X era. It's been a personal dream of mine to write gaming material, especially material for a sourcebook that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

I don't want to start a 3e vs 4e discussion as it has been played out ad nauseum. I understand the designing is easier for 4e and can see the benefits there. However I've only played 4e and not run it and I have been disappointed so far. Again that's a personal preference.

Is there ANY chance of any 3.X material we could help with? Does it HAVE to be for 4e? Maybe dual statted sourcebooks?

I've enjoyed your ideas for epic/immortal gaming. My gaming group which I run has adopted the 3.5 Ascension rules. I'm also a lover of mythology.

I don't know how much I could help with the 4e but if you do decide to include any 3.5 material, I'm in. Sign me up.

Rhuarc

Explorer
Oh my, very tempting! Have to think about it first of course, as it requires a serious commitment. Another thing is that I don't really have something "past demonstrated" at all. I write quite much, but most are hand-written notes for my campaigns, short write-ups on my laptop or changed and newly created monsters in the fantastic Monster Builder from WotC.
Nothing like a completely written adventure or dozen of pages with NPCs, Monsters, Items etc which could be handed over to you.

Anyway, will definitely think about it. I did a lot of Immortal work a few years back in the 3.5 days and am a big fan of 4th edition and especially the epic tier. So, if you should find not enough, professional, helpers, give me a call and we can discuss this further :)

Anyway, glad something happens and good luck with the search UK!

Hey amigo! :)

Belzamus said:
Grr...why couldn't you have done this back in 3.X?

I didn't really think I needed it back then...though I probably did.

I would've done anything that needed doing, stats, flavor, editting, whatever.

There's nothing like the SRD for 4E, is there? I don't have the money for the books at all, and none of my friends have them either. I'd love to help, though. I have tons of time to work on things (Like I said before, 10 Ascension First Ones completely statted in one weekend.)

I just...don't know the first thing about 4E. :(

Sorry, U_K. I'd really love to help.

If/When you do conversions back to 3.5, I'd be all on board though.

Well I can get round a lot of things...since I'm the boss, but I think a working knowledge of 4E is essential, so I don't see a way around that.

Edit: I suppose it wasn't apparent, I would've done your 3.5 projects for free, gladly. Just seeing more of your material would have been worth it for me.

I don't think I would accept people working for me for free. I certainly don't want to make money (regardless if even a little money) on the backs of other people.

Oh, well, though. I can always make up my own. (Or buy your 4E PDFs and convert what I like myself).

Thats the spirit.

Hey dyspro mate! :)

dyspro said:
I have to agree with Belzamus in wishing you had this idea for the 3.X era. It's been a personal dream of mine to write gaming material, especially material for a sourcebook that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

I appreciate the love. I just don't want to see thousands of ideas go to waste because I don't have enough or spend enough time working on the books.

I don't want to start a 3e vs 4e discussion as it has been played out ad nauseum. I understand the designing is easier for 4e and can see the benefits there.

I think my distaste of 3E is well documented so no point going into that now.

However I've only played 4e and not run it and I have been disappointed so far. Again that's a personal preference.

Sorry to hear that. I think some people, especially those well versed in 3E will be wary of change. I know my friend S'mon was totally against it, didn't like even reading the Players Handbook. I kept harping on at him about it, the design is brilliant I kept telling him. I think he played one game and still wasn't convinced. But he DMed a game and has now gone on to really enjoy it. I'll give him a message and see if he will come over and say what changed his mind, I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Is there ANY chance of any 3.X material we could help with? Does it HAVE to be for 4e? Maybe dual statted sourcebooks?

I've enjoyed your ideas for epic/immortal gaming. My gaming group which I run has adopted the 3.5 Ascension rules. I'm also a lover of mythology.

I don't know how much I could help with the 4e but if you do decide to include any 3.5 material, I'm in. Sign me up.

It might be something that will happen eventually, but not until there are at least finished 4E books to work from. ;)

Howdy Rhuarc mate! :)

Rhuarc said:
Oh my, very tempting! Have to think about it first of course, as it requires a serious commitment.

Well given that I am juggling a 30+ hour "part-time" job, its possibly not as serious as you might think.

I have been going over a number of the book outlines and quite a few of them are less than 50 pages each. So that would mean each writer would only have about 8-12 pages to complete per book.

Another thing is that I don't really have something "past demonstrated" at all. I write quite much, but most are hand-written notes for my campaigns, short write-ups on my laptop or changed and newly created monsters in the fantastic Monster Builder from WotC.

I have never considered myself even a good writer, just about adequate is where I rate myself in that regard.

...as a designer thats another story. :p

...and I'll still be in charge of the design for the book. B-)

Nothing like a completely written adventure or dozen of pages with NPCs, Monsters, Items etc which could be handed over to you.

In such cases I could always give you a test, say 4 pages of material based on a bunch of monsters I suggest/outline.

Anyway, will definitely think about it. I did a lot of Immortal work a few years back in the 3.5 days and am a big fan of 4th edition and especially the epic tier. So, if you should find not enough, professional, helpers, give me a call and we can discuss this further :)

Okay.

Anyway, glad something happens and good luck with the search UK!

Something has to be done.

I would love to help if there is anything I can do.

I have played 4e, but not much, and not at Epic levels. I understand the mechanics, though.

I love making monsters - I find that as much fun in 4e as it was in 3e; even though there's not quite as much cool fiddly bits, the 4e powers setup is great, and makes up for that.

I can do fluff, too.

However, I'm kind of busy in RL at the moment, when would you be thinking about this starting?

Hiya mate! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
I would love to help if there is anything I can do.

I have played 4e, but not much, and not at Epic levels. I understand the mechanics, though.

I love making monsters - I find that as much fun in 4e as it was in 3e; even though there's not quite as much cool fiddly bits, the 4e powers setup is great, and makes up for that.

I can do fluff, too.

However, I'm kind of busy in RL at the moment, when would you be thinking about this starting?

I'm thinking of starting around December/January. I still need to finish the Vampire Bestiary and I also want to do all my prep for these initial collaboration projects.

Remove ads