Open Call for Writers for Epic/Immortal 4E Books

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Grr...why couldn't you have done this back in 3.X? I would've done anything that needed doing, stats, flavor, editting, whatever.

I feel your pain.

If/When you do conversions back to 3.5, I'd be all on board though.

I've been awfully neglectful of the Cloverfield project I started (and a big kudos to the guys still going with that!), but I'll also take a stab at converting things to 3.5.

Upper_Krust said:
I don't think I would accept people working for me for free. I certainly don't want to make money (regardless if even a little money) on the backs of other people.

Tell that to your old editors. ;)

Rhuarc

Explorer
In such cases I could always give you a test, say 4 pages of material based on a bunch of monsters I suggest/outline.

Well, that's definitely something I would like to try, both for you and for me. So you can sign me up for a test-run as soon as you want to!
Excited to be hearing from you later this year, if you still should require my help of course :)

Howdy! :)

Rhuarc said:
Well, that's definitely something I would like to try, both for you and for me. So you can sign me up for a test-run as soon as you want to!

Excited to be hearing from you later this year, if you still should require my help of course :)

I'll see what responses I have within a month and play it from there.

Hey all! :)

Had a talk with S'mon, who is just recovering from swine flu, he PMed me the following about his thoughts on 4E...

S'mon said:
4e - well it's completely different from prior editions. It's impossible for the GM to keep track of PC powers, you just have to trust the players. Things I like about it:

1. As a player it's exciting to use powers to determine the course of a battle, which used to be only spellcasters could do. I like it that Fighters are a competitive class again. Combat is fun.

2. It's easy to GM with a limited rules knowledge. The Monster Manual is great, with powers fully described the GM can easily run monsters off-the-page. Whereas the 3e MMs and stat blocks are horrible.

3. I like it that a lot of GM stuff is left to GM's discretion, not defined like in 3e. It makes the game more flexible and adaptable.

4. Overall, the game is more high action/low magic than 1e-3e; magic is flashy but now does little you can't do with sword and spear. This makes it much easier to run a plausible campaign world more like our own.

My big initial problem with 4e was the complexity of character creation. It's really difficult to create a PC without the character builder software.

-Simon

U_K!

Its been a while, I hope you are doing ok.

An interesting strategy, getting assistance in writing the book; As I recall, the 3E IH was written 'quickly', (Still was slow) but it was a series of editing updates that delayed the heck out of it. (And the art) Do you have a plan to minimize things of that nature? Heck, what program do you use to publish? (It seemed like doing the edits for the IH caused alot of formatting headaches and so were difficult to input)

Getting a 'group' together to write a book like the IH is quite the undertaking.

Do you have the mechanical systems ironed out? (As I recall, scaling becomes difficult past epic tier without either rewriting the system, introducing more factors, or introducing absolutes)
Do you have a method of communication the writers can use to discuss their works while keeping your unique ideas 'in house'? (Good communication might help foster ideas, and drive the production speed along, and help squash bugs before they arise)
Do you have a calender date to meet? (Really, stop laughing!)
Do you have any compilation concerns that need to be addressed before the book is put into motion? (Using a set of publishing software? A limited pagecount? Etc)
Playtest Considerations? (Its difficult to playtest just one part of the whole; If Person A writes good powers, but Person B introduces bad Feats/Class features, testing them separately might not show that)

It sounds like you definitely want to start out on a good note this time around; I'd offer to help, but I have little previous writing experience. I am quite familiar with 4E (Followed design since 3E, and have run a bi-weekly game since it was released; I design tons of custom stuff for my games which works out quite well). Also I am, as you know, familiar with your previous works and I think I have a good idea of the directions you might want to take this book.

There are likely better writers and designers out there, but I do like designing and debunking, and the IH is one book I would like to see published.

You have some good ideas U_K; I can't wait see them in print. (Though, due to the linear nature of time, without exercising transcendental powers, I guess I must wait...)

Ltheb Silverfrond said:

Hey Ltheb mate! :D

Its been a while,

Too long amigo. ;)

I hope you are doing ok.

Not doing too bad thanks for asking, hope you have been keeping well yourself?

An interesting strategy, getting assistance in writing the book; As I recall, the 3E IH was written 'quickly', (Still was slow) but it was a series of editing updates that delayed the heck out of it. (And the art) Do you have a plan to minimize things of that nature?

My strategy for future books is for me to write say, 14 pages which will act as a sort of blueprint for the other writers. I'll give them 6 weeks to turn in their 14 pages. While they are writing I will do the interior art and commission the cover. I am working towards a quicker art style.

So hopefully a turnover of about 2 months per 64 page pdf/book will be (theoretically) possible.

The key is for me to have the work done first. I have a month off coming up in February (and again in May) so it should be fairly easy to keep ahead of the game.

Heck, what program do you use to publish? (It seemed like doing the edits for the IH caused alot of formatting headaches and so were difficult to input).

I recently upgraded to Adobe INDesign CS4. Considering I was using Pagemaker 6.5 previously thats a big step-up. B-)

Getting a 'group' together to write a book like the IH is quite the undertaking.

Hopefully by writing my sections first I can 'compartmentalise' the work of the others, and give them enough ideas to act as a springboard for their own ideas.

Do you have the mechanical systems ironed out? (As I recall, scaling becomes difficult past epic tier without either rewriting the system, introducing more factors, or introducing absolutes)

I have the mechanics ironed out. From my investigations you don't need to make a lot of changes above 30th. In fact I think I have only made two.

I am very confident I have the Legendary Tier 'sussed'. I am however, worried about the Immortal Tier and (eventual) Sidereal Tiers. Should Dimensions replace Portfolios at the Immortal Tier or should they be saved for Sidereals only? Should Classes continue into the Sidereal Tiers or should something else replace those? etc.

Do you have a method of communication the writers can use to discuss their works while keeping your unique ideas 'in house'? (Good communication might help foster ideas, and drive the production speed along, and help squash bugs before they arise)

Well if we can all arrange (perhaps bi-weekly) meet dates on MSN Messenger I think we could iron out any problems.

Of course individuals can always be contacted via email.

Do you have a calender date to meet? (Really, stop laughing!)

I haven't even chosen the writers yet. I don't think a physical meet-up would be applicable.

Do you have any compilation concerns that need to be addressed before the book is put into motion? (Using a set of publishing software? A limited pagecount? Etc)

It would be nice if everyone was using a version of Adobe InDesign, but its not crucial. Copying and pasting (then tweaking) of about 14 pages won't take more than an hour at the most. So even if someone is sending in Word documents its not that much of an annoyance.

The page counts won't be set in stone, but I'd need a good reason for breaking them.

Playtest Considerations? (Its difficult to playtest just one part of the whole; If Person A writes good powers, but Person B introduces bad Feats/Class features, testing them separately might not show that)

If we get everything done in 6 weeks then we can have 2 weeks for each of us to read over it and comment on possible problems or design flaws.

It sounds like you definitely want to start out on a good note this time around;

I have so many ideas that its going to be a massive shame to waste them. Just for fun I worked out a schedule the other day and even assuming a book every 2 months I had enough ideas to take us up to 2020 or something like that. Obviously I don't see that happening, but it just gives you an glimpse into how many ideas there are waiting in the wings.

I'd offer to help, but I have little previous writing experience. I am quite familiar with 4E (Followed design since 3E, and have run a bi-weekly game since it was released; I design tons of custom stuff for my games which works out quite well). Also I am, as you know, familiar with your previous works and I think I have a good idea of the directions you might want to take this book.

As I always said, I don't consider myself anything more than a competent writer.

There are likely better writers and designers out there, but I do like designing and debunking, and the IH is one book I would like to see published.

Well I can throw you into the mix if you want. I won't be deciding who's in until probably December.

You have some good ideas U_K; I can't wait see them in print. (Though, due to the linear nature of time, without exercising transcendental powers, I guess I must wait...)

Every Achilles has a heel.

Remove ads