OpenAI Craziness

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I'd argue the interesting thing is that these things do study how people put words and pixels together, and that says more about creativity than we want to admit. Like it or not, ChatGPT can write short-form poetry better than 99% of human beings. There's that last 1%--it ain't Shakespeare--but it does say something about creativity not being the spiritual connection to a higher realm they viewed it as in the Romantic era. If a random assortment and probabilistic approach can give you something that's better than what most people can do, maybe this creativity thing isn't this specially human thing we thought after all? Maybe we're just machines made out of C, N, O, H, and a few other things instead of Si and O?

Look at DALL-E 3: over in another thread, people are having fun making custom art for their D&D characters and coming up with increasingly nutty ideas that the computer then brings to life. (And laughing at the ridiculous bugs, of course, but the thing is getting better and better constantly.) I don't know about the more spiritual uses of art, but it seems to be handling 'beauty' pretty well--in some cases a little too well as the people are much cuter in most cases than most actual human beings.

The thing is, as part of being an autocomplete, it also has a probabilistic sense of what the next thing ('token' in the parlance--it may not be a complete word) is supposed to be: 'Flint' might be 50% likely to be followed by 'Michigan', 20% by 'water', and 10% by 'Fireforge' (and 10% everything else), but 'Fireforge' might go up if the last couple of tokens included 'dragon' and 'dwarf'. That's a mathematical relationship, but it also tells us something about context in a text. I've never seen anyone crack open the weights and see which tokens lead to which, but it would be an interesting project to say the least.

One of the things the off-brand tools like NovelAI do is let you tweak some of the parameters. There's a parameter called 'temperature' which makes the generation of less likely tokens more likely and vice versa; effectively a randomizer, though it is only truly random at temperature 1; above that it actually favors less likely tokens. This will generate the less-likely juxtapositions people find interesting, in the same way as a Surrealist cut-up. (I think the Surrealists, with their disregard for convention and love of the random, would have loved LLMs.) Again, the thrill of the unexpected, which we see as opposed to a purely mechanistic view of the machine, can be produced by a machine.

So I think they do raise questions about human creativity and how 'human' it really is.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
"Come up with a dungeon for 1st-level characters."

Name: The Caverns of Chaos

Description:
The Caverns of Chaos is a sprawling underground dungeon filled with treacherous traps, mysterious creatures, and hidden treasures. It is said that an ancient evil resides deep within its depths, waiting to be awakened. The dungeon consists of multiple interconnected chambers, each presenting unique challenges for the adventurers.

Chamber 1: The Entrance Hall
The adventurers enter through a narrow tunnel that opens up into a large chamber. The walls are covered in moss, and eerie torches flicker dimly. They must navigate through a series of pressure plates and avoid falling rocks to proceed further.

Chamber 2: The Puzzle Room
In this room, the adventurers encounter a complex puzzle that needs to be solved to unlock the door leading to the next chamber. The puzzle involves arranging colored stones in a specific pattern to reveal a hidden passage.

Chamber 3: The Spider's Lair
As the adventurers enter this chamber, they find themselves surrounded by giant spider webs. A monstrous spider lurks in the shadows, ready to attack. They must defeat the spider while avoiding getting entangled in its sticky webs.

Chamber 4: The Hall of Mirrors
This chamber is filled with numerous mirrors, creating an illusionary maze. The adventurers must find the correct path by deciphering clues hidden within the reflections. Incorrect choices may lead them into traps or encounters with mirror duplicates of themselves.

Chamber 5: The Riddle Room
Upon entering this room, the adventurers are greeted by a mysterious voice that poses a riddle. They must solve the riddle correctly to unlock the door leading to the next chamber. Failure results in a trap being triggered.

Chamber 6: The Treasure Vault
Finally, the adventurers reach the treasure vault, filled with glittering gems, ancient artifacts, and gold. However, the treasure is guarded by a magical construct that comes to life when anyone attempts to take it. They must defeat the construct to claim their rewards.

Boss Chamber: The Lair of the Ancient Evil
After navigating through the previous chambers, the adventurers reach the heart of the dungeon. Here, they face off against the awakened ancient evil, a powerful sorcerer or a fearsome monster. They must use all their skills and resources to defeat the boss and save the realm from its malevolent influence.

Rewards:
Successful completion of the dungeon grants the adventurers experience points, valuable loot, and a sense of accomplishment. The treasure vault holds magical weapons, potions, and other items that can aid them in future quests.

Note: Adjust the difficulty and encounters based on the capabilities of the 1st-level characters to ensure an exciting but manageable challenge.

Now Ray Winninger can do better than that, but I'm not sure I could.

Scribe

Legend
Look at DALL-E 3: over in another thread, people are having fun making custom art for their D&D characters and coming up with increasingly nutty ideas that the computer then brings to life. (And laughing at the ridiculous bugs, of course, but the thing is getting better and better constantly.) I don't know about the more spiritual uses of art, but it seems to be handling 'beauty' pretty well--in some cases a little too well as the people are much cuter in most cases than most actual human beings.

And thats just the stuff that gets posted that makes it past the sad dogs, and most of us are on the free version.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No they aren't. Again, you are failing to grasp how they work. They don't collage material. They study how humans put ideas together and figure out a way to emulate that. It's huge, and has exactly nothing to do with plagiarism.
No, I've been using them, both the verbal and visual firms are collage machines.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd argue the interesting thing is that these things do study how people put words and pixels together, and that says more about creativity than we want to admit. Like it or not, ChatGPT can write short-form poetry better than 99% of human beings. There's that last 1%--it ain't Shakespeare--but it does say something about creativity not being the spiritual connection to a higher realm they viewed it as in the Romantic era. If a random assortment and probabilistic approach can give you something that's better than what most people can do, maybe this creativity thing isn't this specially human thing we thought after all? Maybe we're just machines made out of C, N, O, H, and a few other things instead of Si and O?

The thing is, as part of being an autocomplete, it also has a probabilistic sense of what the next thing ('token' in the parlance--it may not be a complete word) is supposed to be: 'Flint' might be 50% likely to be followed by 'Michigan', 20% by 'water', and 10% by 'Fireforge' (and 10% everything else), but 'Fireforge' might go up if the last couple of tokens included 'dragon' and 'dwarf'. That's a mathematical relationship, but it also tells us something about context in a text. I've never seen anyone crack open the weights and see which tokens lead to which, but it would be an interesting project to say the least.

One of the things the off-brand tools like NovelAI do is let you tweak some of the parameters. There's a parameter called 'temperature' which makes the generation of less likely tokens more likely and vice versa; effectively a randomizer, though it is only truly random at temperature 1; above that it actually favors less likely tokens. This will generate the less-likely juxtapositions people find interesting, in the same way as a Surrealist cut-up. (I think the Surrealists, with their disregard for convention and love of the random, would have loved LLMs.) Again, the thrill of the unexpected, which we see as opposed to a purely mechanistic view of the machine, can be produced by a machine.

So I think they do raise questions about human creativity and how 'human' it really is.
It's not really surprising that this can be accomplished by math. It's all in Plato.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
It's not really surprising that this can be accomplished by math. It's all in Plato.
Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools? (I knew you'd be disappointed if I didn't do that.)

My point is (and you may not be disagreeing) that even if it's not exactly human-mimicking yet (and it still has a way to go), that a lot more of human creativity can be modeled mathematically than we previously thought. Basically, we're not as special as we thought we were. Galileo showed we're not at the center of the universe, Darwin showed we're just another type of animal, and ChatGPT and DALL-E3 are showing us we're not the only ones who can make art.

Jahydin

Hero
Bless me, what do they teach them at these schools? (I knew you'd be disappointed if I didn't do that.)

My point is (and you may not be disagreeing) that even if it's not exactly human-mimicking yet (and it still has a way to go), that a lot more of human creativity can be modeled mathematically than we previously thought. Basically, we're not as special as we thought we were. Galileo showed we're not at the center of the universe, Darwin showed we're just another type of animal, and ChatGPT and DALL-E3 are showing us we're not the only ones who can make art.
As if I wasn't nihilistic enough... :sneaky:

Reynard

Legend

Humans appreciate nature as "art" -- sunsets, vistas, etc... It isn't about whether AI can make art, it's whether humans can appreciate AI "art".

Remove ads