D&D 5E Opinions: Clone and artificial aging

the Jester

Legend
Looking for opinions here.

DMs of 5e- If a wizard has a way to artificially age a creature, would you think that method could shorten the 120 days time required for a clone spell to mature?

For reference, a clone is described as "an inert duplicate of a living, Medium creature"; the aging spell in question has the following relevant text: "Make a melee spell attack against a creature in range. If you hit, the target ages 10d4 years, gaining one level of exhaustion in the process.
If you maintain concentration on this spell for the entire duration, its effects become permanent.
The aging can be reversed by a lesser restoration cast within 24 hours or a greater restoration cast within 1 week."

aco175

Legend
I would not allow it unless...
1598311970488.png

Come to think of it,

It would be an example of a skill "stunt" to modify a spell effect, by making an Arcana check.

It is a case of yes-no-maybe. The DM might decide, yeah, of course it works. No, it doesnt work, not that way. Or maybe, it might work, make an Arcana check.

The DM sets the challenge rating, high or low, and can modify the attempt with advantage or disadvantage.

Moreover, the DM might decide differently in different situations.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
the aging spell in question has the following relevant text: "Make a melee spell attack against a creature in range." </snip>

They key part of this text is creature. In DnD 5e, corpses and other (to use the wording in Clone) inert bodies are not creatures, they are objects.

I know the Clone spell calls it an "inert duplicate of a living, Medium creature" but that does not make it a creature, in the same way that Simulacrum creates a "duplicate of one beast or humanoid" that is neither a beast nor a humanoid (it is a construct). So, by my interpretation, the Clone spell creates an object until such time as it is inhabited by a soul, at which point it becomes a creature. Before then, I treat it as an invalid target for anything requiring a creature as the target.

To me it's not about the rules (RAW and RAI) , which I think are clear that such is not valid, but about is someone trying the 'game the system' or be a munchkin? If so, I'm not usually up for that as long term I find such play does not add to the overall fun. So, if I got the feeling this was a good way to increase fun for everyone, then probably. But, since I can more readily see this being misused, no, I would not allow it 99% of the time.

Remove ads