Opinions--Heroes of Neverwinter FB game

Sebastianelgar

First Post
- Quests are all exactly the same format, at least at low levels--a series of connected locations with monsters waiting in each location. And maybe a chest. Kill the monsters, take the stuff, go to next location. Rinse, repeat. A couple puzzles here and there would be a welcome addition.
There is at least one quest with a bit of a puzzle which also requires outside knowledge of D&D where you have to go through doors that describe a certain number to total another number (heads of two ettins, tusks of an oliphant, wrists of a marilith I think were the ones I saw but I didn't enter one of the rooms to see what doors it had)

darkwing

First Post
So far, not bad. It's actually more fun at levels 1 and 2 because your party members are cheap enough that you can afford them (free at 1, cheap at 2). Eventually it becomes too expensive to field a full group of strangers and be guaranteed a return on your investment.

Although, with the always hit bug, I've been making money by duoing the first dungeon with a random wizard and a dragonborn cleric on the hardest difficulty (currently, I'm level 4). The wizard aoes and destroys almost everything, the cleric heals and dragonbreaths to keep the party alive and take out the leftovers. Eventually I want the cleric to be powerful enough to solo the whole thing so money will never be a problem again.

erf_beto

First Post
I got on Beta as well, and I'm loving it. I mean, it's D&D turn-based combat on a grid? :D

I can't for the life of me believe the "always hit" is a feature of the game instead of a bug. Maybe it's an "experiment". And I think most beta testers were eloquent enough about their dislike, and we won't see that again after Thursday (next announced update).

The cooldowns are annoying, so I hope they address that too, loosening the leach or removing it completely (wishful thinking, IMO).

The game needs a few touches here and there to make it good, but I have faith in it. :)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Sounds interesting.

But Facebook games are just a no-go for me.

Ditto for Facebook.

I am glad to see app makers working on fantasy stuff. My some plays some pretty good games, but they are all in Japanese, or I would recommend some.

filthgrinder

First Post
I can't for the life of me believe the "always hit" is a feature of the game instead of a bug. Maybe it's an "experiment". And I think most beta testers were eloquent enough about their dislike, and we won't see that again after Thursday (next announced update).

I imagine it is a setting they use for internal testing. They can probably set it for a build and then run stuff faster looking for certain things. Then they forgot to change it back.

Also, doing the deploy on a friday night, was sorta silly. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's update. We should see the auto-hit bug go away, and I hope they address a few other issues.

Also, the other door in the puzzle dungeon was "paws on a displacer beast".

On Puget Sound

First Post
The cute part of the puzzle dungeon? For the last choice, the correct answer is six, but the options to choose are seven or five. The dungeon's designer-character cheated - which is totally in character, and makes you all the happier when you kill him!

FLAvatar

Explorer
I think it was thumbs on a marilith, not wrists. Not that that makes it a different answer. Also, if you do the challenge from ... the Pickle guy (not his real name) you have to solve a few riddles. One of the answers is wrong, although reflecting on it that may be part of the shtick for that particular mission.

The autohit + autocrit on all attacks was a brutal bug to leave us with over the weekend. It made testing higher level missions suicidal in some cases, and irritating because of the expensive hiring fees. At least they have specifically said it was one of the things that was getting fixed Thursday in time for the Open beta portion. Stacking the -1 speed penalty for heavy armor on top of Slow is a little odd, but will hopefully go away as well, and I won't miss all the extra clicks for no real benefit introduced by the new UI.

Some of the complaining about the brakes they put on the ability to chain together dungeons stems from folks having something taken away, anyone starting anew wouldn't notice it so much. They had to do something though, to keep people playing instead of finishing quickly and burning out, and making everything take longer is always easier than adding content (see: every mmorpg, ever.). There is also a fair amount of complaining from folks unaware of what "beta" means, but, you know, the internet. Recruiting friends is still gold-free, and nobody has an answer that increasing gold drops for the people who don't stockpile facefriends so they can recruit to do adventures that doesn't hand over control of the gold supply to the people that have dozens of friends. Bypassing the cooldown with astral diamonds seems pretty solid, whether 1 per recruit or maybe a flat fee to bypass it for the day.

The player made dungeons are a bit of a problem, since it looks too easy to make powerlevelling dungeons. I don't know if it's good or bad that the player made runs can't give out more loot, but I do know that I am tired of grouping with 10th level people still wearing their starting equipment that (until the last patch anyway) couldn't hit, did weak damage, always get hit, never make saves and pump out anemic heals. With no gold, they can't buy the expensive gear for their level unless they can get twinked, although if they have lots of friends running actual adventures I guess they can get gifted enough gold to make up a little of it.

The quick and dirty character creation process is fine, and even the limited power selection isn't that bad for launch. It gives an easy upgrade path to add content, even if all they do is add races, classes and powers. The lack of OAs or defender marking really hits home how cool those features are in 4E, so I hope something is introduced along those lines to help the poor fighter at least impede the bad guy's tactics beyond his couple of slows and a prone. The only power progression that looks out of place is the poor cleric, who if he skips taking Cure Light Wounds at 2nd level only has 1 heal per encounter until at least 5th level - where his next 'healing' choice is amusingly enough Raise Dead.

Lastly, I think the tooltips and descriptions could be cleaned up. Some spells have the same description, but perform differently (Lightning Bolt and Fireball are both merely area burst spells). If you don't have a rogue or he fails to open a lock, you can buy a Knock scroll - however the descriptive on it seems to strongly imply that you get 5 knock scrolls for 1 AD instead of the actual 5 ADs per 1 Knock scroll. The first time you run into it, its appearances in the rest of the game become clear; you don't get 15 Potions of Life for 1 AD, or whatever the ratio on Potions of Luck are or whatever. The first time you do it, it's a bit of a surprise.

All in all, a pretty good game for free. Easily playable without ever spending a dime, and just as easily to spend some money on and feel like you got some value for it.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The game is now at the open beta stage. It's fun. I do hope that other race options become available at some point down the road.

Roland55

First Post
Maybe it's just me, but I get a buttload of lag with it whenever I try to run it.

I'll give it "better than most Facebook games", but that's about it; it certainly doesn't give me anything like a satisfying gaming experience.

I rather expected that. For folks of our sort, dedicated gamers, I figured it would deliver a "gaming lite" experience.

I'm hoping it will encourage more young folks to ... perhaps ... try out the real thing.

I know ... I know ... I'm an incurable optimist.

Perun

Mushroom
I've been without a proper, regular, pen-and-paper D&D game for close to three years now, so I'm pretty happy with HoN... I've even begun re-reading my D&D books again :) So, as ROland 55 said, it's a gaming lite experience, but (for some of us) it's beter than no gaming experience ;)

Remove ads