• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Opportunity Attacks

N0Man

First Post
I'm not entirely sure if I have the mental picture correct or not, but as it was pointed out, the charge was definitely wrong. Charges must be to the closest space, and if that's not possible then there's no charge.

There are 2 ways I can picture this:

1) Like this (in 3 frames):

Code:
  MM   |       |       |
  MM   |  MM   |   MM  |
       |  MM   |   MM  |
  P    |  P    |  P    |
2) Or like this:

Code:
MM     |       |       |
MM     |MM     |       |
       |MM     |MM     |
  P    |  P    |MMP    |

Both of these fit the description of moving adjacent to a player, and then moving 1 more square (also adjacent to the player).

The difference, in my opinion, is that #1 provokes, but #2 does not. I say this because even though part of him moves from 1 square adjacent, to another, he still is in the square that was originally adjacent. The monster never left the square.

However, in #1, he moved from a square (vacating it) that was clearly threatened by another player.

However, neither is a legal charge.

Aulirophile

First Post
The monster provokes in both situations.. can't back it up with rules (posting from mobile iPhone)
Moving Provokes: If an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack against that enemy. However, you can’t make one if the enemy shifts or teleports or is forced to move away by a pull, a push, or a slide.

A large creature still occupies that square it moved out of in scenario 2. It hasn't left the square. I can't actually find a rules or FAQ reference for this, and I've never had the question asked before.

Oompa

First Post
The front end of the monster leaves the square and the back end enters it.. it steps forward and not turning around that square..

Kingreaper

Adventurer
The front end of the monster leaves the square and the back end enters it.. it steps forward and not turning around that square..
You don't get an OA when part of a monster leaves a square.

You get an OA when a monster leaves a threatened square. If the monster is in the square at every point, then it hasn't left it has it?

N0Man

First Post
You don't get an OA when part of a monster leaves a square.

You get an OA when a monster leaves a threatened square. If the monster is in the square at every point, then it hasn't left it has it?

There was a thread about this a long time ago as well, and that is my current conclusion. The monster didn't actually leave the square (he still in it), so it doesn't provoke.

The rules do say when he leaves a square, not when he moves through a square adjacent to you.

This seems to be clear and fair enough for me. Besides, ruling otherwise could get into the silly possibility of the large creature rotating (using the square adjacent to the player as an axis point, as in turning on that foot) into a square. If a creature rotated, then he the same part of him is still in the square, and he spun the rest of him to be adjacent.

Now, the rules don't account for rotating, facing, or parts of large creature moving through a square, so I think it's far simpler and perfectly reasonable to just read the rule literally and ask, "after that move, is he still in that square? If so, he didn't leave it and therefor didn't provoke."

That's my opinion at least.

Oompa

First Post
I would still rule it a OA, in my opinion moving through a square means you enter and leave the square.. Even if another part of the monster kept the threatend square still occupied. Hasn't anyone asked this to custserv?

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I would still rule it a OA, in my opinion moving through a square means you enter and leave the square.. Even if another part of the monster kept the threatend square still occupied.
And if the monster were described as swivelling around, rather than moving?

DracoSuave

First Post
I would still rule it a OA, in my opinion moving through a square means you enter and leave the square.. Even if another part of the monster kept the threatend square still occupied. Hasn't anyone asked this to custserv?

So, the monster doesn't leave the square, but he's considered leaving the square?

Does not compute.

Large is an advantage for a monster, not a disadvantage.

N0Man

First Post

It doesn't matter what "moving through a square" means, because that's not the criteria for what provokes.
If an enemy leaves a square adjacent to you, you can make an opportunity attack against that enemy.
The criteria is "leaves a square". If the large creature always occupies the square, then he did not leave it, right? I have no idea if WotC intended for it to work that way or not, but that is what the rule says.

I don't think it's particularly unfair to allow a large creature to do this, unless you have your party facing the Mythical Train Beast of Railroadia, that is 40 squares long, and moves past a party member 39 squares of movement without ever leaving an adjacent square. B-)

Remove ads