D&D 5E Optimal build for mulitclass kensei (monk)/samurai (fighter)?

Hoiku

Villager
I would like to build an optimized or close to optimized as possible multiclass kensei (monk)/samurai (fighter), would anyone like to build me a guide please? I'm aiming for the ronin type of character. Human with a criminal (smuggler) background and is Neutral alignment. I plan on kensei L.8/samurai L.12 for end game. So how should I progress in leveling starting from level 1?

Starting stats via point buy:
S-11
D-16
C-14
I-10
W-16
CH-10

Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Last edited:

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I played a Kensei and found him a bit more fragile than I expected. Pick kensei weapons that you can throw or that have reach. Daggers, handaxes. If you're set on Samurai Fighter, then make sure your katana is a kensei weapon of course, and maybe go fighter first.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I think multiclassing a fighter and a monk isn't a great idea....

The monk can't take advantage of the armor use, and the fighter can't use the monks defensive bonuses wearing any armor.

They both already have extra attack at 6th level.

The monk side is going to be eating up all of your bonus actions.

I'd stick with pure monk....and swap my Wis and Con scores if possible to trade AC for HP.

Weapons would be longsword and longbow if possible.

Hoiku

Villager

The monk can't take advantage of the armor use, and the fighter can't use the monks defensive bonuses wearing any armor.

I'd stick with pure monk....and swap my Wis and Con scores if possible to trade AC for HP.

This is my RP character, but I'd like to try to optimize him the best I can.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I was actually toying with this myself for my Lizardfolk Kensei.
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 8

This is at lvl 6 mind you.

I think regardless of which you want to start off in, you want to stick with it for the first 5 levels. Get that Extra attack.

I have longsword, throwing knives, and now a longbow as my Kensei weapons, and so far it has been pretty fun. When I am on a roll I can quickly reduce a sizable chunk from enemies, if not out right drop them in a round.

You certainly have a sizable list of options that compete for your bonus action, and Ki points as well.

I would say you either want to end up choosing armored or not. And really that is up to you. My vision for a Ronin for instance is one that isn't armored.

So you would want to choose a fighting style from Fighter that compliments that. Depending on preference that could be Archery, Dueling, Great weapon fighting, maybe even Two weapon fighting. Though that last one is going to be more taxing on your bonus action.

My opinion then is, level up to 5th in whichever class you want first. This will likely decide your method of calculating your AC. At that, your build is starting to take shape at 8th level.

From there you can likely take whichever level you think thematically fits. Keeping in mind there are definite jumps in power to most classes at 5th, 11th, and 17th. Starting in fighter, allows you a quick bump from the ability/feat choice at lvl6, while monk 6 is deft strikes for Kensei and an additional weapon choice, not to mention attacks counting as magic for overcoming resistance.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I would like to build an optimized or close to optimized as possible multiclass kensei (monk)/samurai (fighter), would anyone like to build me a guide please? I'm aiming for the ronin type of character. Human with a criminal (smuggler) background and is Neutral alignment. I plan on kensei L.8/samurai L.12 for end game. So how should I progress in leveling starting from level 1?

Starting stats via point buy:
S-11
D-16
C-14
I-10
W-16
CH-10

Domo arigato gozaimasu!

Good starting stats.

I'd take Fighter 1
Then Monk 1
Then go for Samauri 5
Then go up to kensai 5
Then I'd take 2-3 more levels of fighter
Then I'd get monk to 8
Then I'd finish fighter progresison

Why this progression?
1. It gives you the character feel early
2. It gives you a fast path to extra attack
3. It provides access to ki and stunning strike after that
4. You get wisdom saves
5. More ki, evasion and another ASI
6. 3rd attack, etc.

FrogReaver

I think I would work the mobile feat in for this character. He would move and strike fast and can get out of danger of retaliatory attacks.

FrogReaver

I think going primary monk and taking a 3/4 level dip into samauri would be my ideal split - but OP already wanted 12 Samuari.

I say that because Action Surge + Samauri ability is quite powerful.

Hoiku

Villager
Good starting stats.

I'd take Fighter 1
Then Monk 1
Then go for Samauri 5
Then go up to kensai 5
Then I'd take 2-3 more levels of fighter
Then I'd get monk to 8
Then I'd finish fighter progresison

Why this progression?
1. It gives you the character feel early
2. It gives you a fast path to extra attack
3. It provides access to ki and stunning strike after that
4. You get wisdom saves
5. More ki, evasion and another ASI
6. 3rd attack, etc.
I like your take on this character level progression. However I was thinking about starting Monk 1 because I figured since I'm going after the Evasion ability later on, I'd like to be proficient in DEX saves (since everything seems to be DEX based whatevers in 5e). I'm only going to Monk 8 because of ASI/Feat (probably would've chosen Mobile or Alert feat hoping I would've maxed out DEX and WIS first pending the route I take to level), but I definitely wanted at least Monk 7 for the Evasion. Thanks for this progression, it'll give me much to consider!

Last edited:

FrogReaver

I like your take on this character level progression. However I was thinking about starting Monk 1 because I figured since I'm going after the Evasion ability later on, I'd like to be proficient in DEX saves (since everything seems to be DEX based whatevers in 5e). I'm only going to Monk 8 because of ASI/Feat (probably would've chosen Mobile or Alert feat hoping I would've maxed out DEX and WIS first pending on how I progress), but I definitely wanted at least Monk 7 for the Evasion. Thanks for this progression, it'll give me much to consider!

Interesting, I chose fighter 1 for the exact same reason - the con save. It was to balance out the saves. You will have a high dex and evasion. That should take care of dex saves. Samauri will eventually give you wisdom saves. That leaves con saves.

But if you wanna be super vs evasion saves then that will be fun too.

Remove ads