D&D 5E Optimizing a Bladelock

yynderjohn

First Post
As a bladelock though you can't cast spells like Hex /Hellish rebuke that have a somatic component without dropping your weapon/shield unless you have the Warcaster feat right? How do you get around this requirement before then?

JD

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
If you're dipping into Fighter and are up for something a little different, I suggest going sword-and-board, and picking up the Shield Master feat. It works GREAT with Hex; you get the extra damage, sure, but more importantly you give the target Disadvantage on one of the ability checks to resist your shove. Targets will likely be higher str than dex, or higher dex than str. Hex the better of the two, forcing the target to have Disadvantage on their best ability, or have to use their worse ability to resist.

You could argue that the extra damage would apply; after all, Shove is an attack and the hex dam applies to attacks. I wouldn't rule it that way, but who knows.

If you take the Dueling Fighter style you'll be doing d8+d6+2+Str damage with your attacks, have +2 to AC and Reflex from the shield, and have a very good chance at either pushing or proning your target.

The Disadvantage on a chosen ability check is an oft-overlooked component of Hex; keep it in mind and remind your companions (especially if they Grapple, or use Web / other mobility-depriving spells that have Checks as well as/instead of Saves).

I know this is bumping up an old thread, but I absolutely love this combo.

Kithas

First Post
I know this is bumping up an old thread, but I absolutely love this combo.
It is a classic bladelock thing to do. I definitely prefer it over the very played out polearm version. Warlocks are set up oddly well to be defensive too. Things like the invocation for mage armor at will, dark one's blessing, armor of agathys, Darkness, hold person etc are all great things for a tank to have access to. They have some great area denial spells too. All in all they make solid tanks and shouldn't be relegated to only damage dealers, or dip-for-hex. Those are great uses of the class but they're good for more than just that.

Remove ads