• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimizing a Dwarven Thrower build

What would be the ideal build to make the most out of a Dwarven Thrower? With the next season being about giants, chances are high that one will show up in the adventure. This is what I have so far.

Mountain Dwarf Fighter
Str 17 Dex 10 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
1st: Defense FS
3rd: Champion
4th: Crossbow Expert
6th: Heavy Armor Master
8th: +2 Str
10th: Protection FS (or Dueling if compatible with thrown weapons)
12th: Sentinel
14th: Toughness

RSIxidor

Adventurer
What would be the ideal build to make the most out of a Dwarven Thrower? With the next season being about giants, chances are high that one will show up in the adventure. This is what I have so far.

Mountain Dwarf Fighter
Str 17 Dex 10 Con 16 Int 10 Wis 14 Cha 8
1st: Defense FS
3rd: Champion
4th: Crossbow Expert
6th: Heavy Armor Master
8th: +2 Str
10th: Protection FS (or Dueling if compatible with thrown weapons)
12th: Sentinel
14th: Toughness

Do you think you'll get a lot of use out of Protection? Do you think you'll always only throw your hammer? What if it doesn't show up?

If you pretty confident that you'll be able to use Protection a lot, go for it, else, go for Dueling. I don't think it will help with the ranged attacks but it at least keeps your melee and ranged damage pretty similar (the reason I think it doesn't work for throwing is that Dueling says you have to be wielding it in one hand, does throwing fit that description? Ask your DM). I'd personally probably go Dueling but I've used my reactions for things like OAs so much. You don't have spells or any other feats that use reactions so maybe it would be okay.

I don't like Tough much. I think there's likely a better feat you could take but I'd probably go for stat improvements. +2 Con is as half as many HP as Tough is and improves your Saving Throws. 18-20 makes Savage Attacker slightly more intriguing but probably still not good enough for a feat slot. I wish it was more clear whether the Thrown property makes a weapon a ranged weapon when thrown, then I'd suggest Archery and Sharpshooter but I'm pretty sure that doesn't work.

faria

First Post
Throwing + tank don't work well together because your ranged attacks will get disadvantage in melee range, which is where you need to be to tank in the first place...

Not saying it's not possible, but these are the optimization boards and this doesn't sound very...optimized. Maybe ask your DM to tweak the Crossbow Expert feat to be "Throwing Expert" and allow for no disadvantage on throwing in melee range?

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Throwing + tank don't work well together because your ranged attacks will get disadvantage in melee range, which is where you need to be to tank in the first place...

Not saying it's not possible, but these are the optimization boards and this doesn't sound very...optimized. Maybe ask your DM to tweak the Crossbow Expert feat to be "Throwing Expert" and allow for no disadvantage on throwing in melee range?

It already works. The second feature of Crossbow Expert does not require you to use a ranged weapon, only to make a ranged attack. It also helps with spell attacks.

Flipteach

Villager
There is a Dwarven Thrower available in PotA, so the build doesn't depend on future seasons. In fact, I have a Mountain Dwarf Fighter (EK) who is having quite a blast with his.

Crossbow Expert is important if you plan on continuing as a tank.

Dueling applies. Crawford said on twitter that a thrown weapon still counts as melee for the purposes of applying both strength and Dueling bonus.

Sharpshooter might be worth considering as it removes partial cover, and will give you a damage boost against low AC targets. If you are planning on throwing at the enemy's line, the extended range is useful too.

I have a bias in favor of maxing the primary stat to 20, so I'd personally jigger things to get a +5 to Str, but you could have a lot of fun with your proposed build.

Flipteach

Villager
Ah, I was forgetting the first part of Heavy Armor Master. I had been thinking that the relatively small reduction in damage was a bit weak at 6th level, but as it gets you to Str 20 "for free" that make a lot of sense.

Try to get your DM to give you the extra d8 against all creatures with the "giant" type (Ettin, Fomorain, Ogres, Half-Ogres, Oni and Trolls) instead of just "true" giants. The DMG has more specific language on some special target weapons than others, and the Dwarven Thrower doesn't give as much detail as, say, Dragonslayer swords.

Remove ads