D&D 5E Paladin Build

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
So, for our next campaign, Tasha's is in so I have been playing with ideas for a build.

Backstory, He's grew up a human not in the nearest elven city but in the underdark city far beneath. Hence some of the unusual feat choices.
Variant Human Standard array Str 15 Dex 10 Con 12 Int 13 Wis 8 Cha 17 (at 1st level)
1st Feytouched
2nd level style Holy warrior
3rd Probably Devotion then Oathbreaker
4th Shadowtouched
8th +2 Cha
12th Magic Initiate
16th Mounted Combatant
19th Ritual Caster

Considering Telepathic, Telekinetic as options. Thoughts?

Definitely talk to the DM about this whole Oathbreaker character arc. It's not really designed to be a subclass players play by choice. There's nothing wrong mechanically with playing it like that, but make sure your DM is on the same page as you for your transformation.

Otherwise it looks fine. I think you're getting overly excited about feat choices, when you'd probably be better off just getting the Strength and Charisma high early on. If you are going to take Ritual Caster at a high level make sure you are collecting spells along the way to eventually be able to copy down and ritually cast, and if there is no wizard or tome warlock in the party make sure that the DM knows you are doing this so that they think to include a spell book or two to potentially find. Ritual Caster sucks if you aren't actually finding spells to record with it and it is only ever the spells that come with the feat, and you want to be finding them for as much of the game as possible.

I think generally you might be focusing towards being a caster Paladin over a melee Paladin (Holy Warrior, all the magic feats, prioritizing Charisma over Strength). I would caution that there is no way to build a straight Paladin where they wouldn't be more effective hitting things than casting spells and low level spells, no matter how such spells and cantrips you collect. I'd also suggest that if you want to be a spell slinging Paladin you'd be a much better one with a two level Warlock dip.

Of course planning out a full 20 level character progression is inherently absurd both because you probably won't get there and because what actually makes sense for your character as they develop will almost certainly be different. But building out 20 level characters is its own game, and there's nothing wrong with playing it.

I'm a proponent of getting 18/18 in STR and CHA before snagging feats for characters that are trying to balance casting and melee. I've done it for a tempest cleric and currently for a greatsword wielding war mage. Both characters were/are capable in almost any situation.

If you aren't as worried about melee I'd still suggest getting 16 STR or dropping it down to 13 or 14. You'll lose a point of AC but can make up for it by adding those extra points to con or dex.

I'm partial to Telekinetic as a secondary bonus action that is always available. It's not a world beater but I hate it when I don't have a bonus action to use.

Remove ads