• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Optimizing a Psionic/Monk Ur-Priest

Kylas

Explorer
Iv'e been scratching my head trying to build an Psionic/Monk that qualifies for Ur-Priest by Level 6. I know my BAB is shot but I would like to utilize Psicrystal-Share Pain-Vigor combo and also some of the "turn" (not turn undead) economizing powers. Is there any way to make this work?

My basic plan is to go 1 Savage Bard/1Erudite/1Monk/2 ardent. Including 1 Flaw this gives me 5 feats:

Human: Psychic Meditation
1: Iron Will
Flaw: Spell focus Evil
Eru1: Psicrystal Containment (along with free Psicrystal)
3: Practised Manifester
6:Combat Casting ???
9:Stunning Fist ???

I have Pretty Decent Stats Due to House rules and the fact we only have 3 Party members.
16/14/12/14/21/14

By 6th level I was hoping to get into Ur-Priest. By 8th Psychic Theurge and by 13th Level I was going to go Sacred Fist? I'm questioning Monk/Sacred fist path cause it looks like I hit that class with a Bab of +5 though my saves are Decent. I was planning on augmenting my combat weakness with the Divine Magic. If a pure Psion Ur-priest is a stronger character does anyone have tips for that build? Also knowing that I will get Cleric spells, which powers should I focus on getting. I will have some access to the Substitute Power ACF.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: NO EQUIPMENT SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. I try to make my builds without relying on it :(
Our DM's loot usually consists of daggers, swords, and full plates. Also assume we have no access to any kind of magic shop. This isn't the case strictly speaking but... let's just say if I see a monks belt then I'm probably in the wrong game.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you look in my sig, you'll see a link to the 3.5 Monk Database- you may find some help there.

Now that that's out of the way...

1) I'm curious about your build: why Savage Bard?

2) Depending upon what your overall PC build goals are, you might consider taking levels in Shaman- see Wyatt's 3.5 update in Dragon #317. It has the scaling unarmed strike damage of the Monk, can wear some armor, has full Clerical casting (including 2-3 Domains) and some other stuff besides.

Kylas

Explorer
If you look in my sig, you'll see a link to the 3.5 Monk Database- you may find some help there.

Now that that's out of the way...

1) I'm curious about your build: why Savage Bard?

2) Depending upon what your overall PC build goals are, you might consider taking levels in Shaman- see Wyatt's 3.5 update in Dragon #317. It has the scaling unarmed strike damage of the Monk, can wear some armor, has full Clerical casting (including 2-3 Domains) and some other stuff besides.

Savage bard is for skills. We start at 2nd level. I tend to plan builds that star in lower levels to be optimal by 15th. I know if any build needs DDM persist divine power its mine. So im wiling to dump monk stuff cause i really want psi ur-priest, but that's a last resort. I know I could take apprentice (criminal) to get bluff as a class skill but this way i save a feat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OK, problem #1: Bards- even Savage Bards- must be chaotic, Monks must be lawful. OA Shaman would be a better fit.

Kylas

Explorer
Wouldn't I lose my divine powers from shaman when I go ur-preist? We are starting at level 2 and I have a background reason as to why I'm Lawful (evil) now.

Kylas

Explorer
HMMM I just realized this is the houserules board. Is there any way i can get this moved to the normal legacy board?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wouldn't I lose my divine powers from shaman when I go ur-preist? We are starting at level 2 and I have a background reason as to why I'm Lawful (evil) now.

I can't say- never even looked at ur-priest after seeing the alignment requirements.

Do you have access to Dragon...especially the Compendium? If so, you can get many of the monkish abilities with the Battle Dancer, a chaotic unarmed combatant.

Kylas

Explorer
I'm not sure. I'm thinking it might be better to lave the monk and just try to optimize an Ardent Ur-priest. Though I'm not sure how to meet Ur-priest requirements by level 6 without using savage bard for the skills. Able learner feat doesn't help because it doesn't actually make skills class skills. What other ways could help a psionic character enter Ur-priest?

Remove ads