• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimizing a Vengeance Paladin / Swashbuckler

Revyre

First Post
Hi all,

Was hoping for some help in optimizing a character concept. We'll be starting at level 3 and ending somewhere around level 16. I was looking to make a half-elf vengeance paladin / swashbuckler who is chaotic neutral and worships Mask. The difficulty comes in wondering which way to go for the class.

Focusing mainly on vengeance paladin with a little of swashbuckler, I'd think either an 11 / 5 split or a 13 / 3 split would be best. Fighting Style would likely be Defense for the +1 AC. Half-elf race variations are considered, either keeping just the two skills or taking the 5 feet speed increase of wood elf, or free cantrip from high elf (Booming Blade).

Stat wise, as a half-elf I'm unsure if it would be better to go with one of the two stat lines listed below (after racials) as I'd be looking at a Rapier/Shield for weapons likely.
STR - 15 (+1) DEX - 10 CON - 13 (+1) INT - 8 WIS - 12 CHA - 14 (+2) OR
STR - 12 (+1) DEX - 15 (+1) CON - 13 INT - 8 WIS - 10 CHA - 14 (+2)

STR build: Would focus on feats like Shield Specialization and then, depending on if I took Booming Blade with the high-elf variation of half-elves, perhaps War Caster. +2 STR and +2 CHA.
DEX build: Would focus on feats like Medium Armor Master and potentially War Caster as mentioned above. Otherwise just grabbing +2 DEX and +2 CHA at some point.

Essentially, I'm curious if taking the 3 to 5 level dip into Rogue as a Swashbuckler would be worth it. Also, since we're beginning at level 3, I'm unsure as to when to multiclass into rogue. It seems level 6 is the usual cut-off since you want the +CHA to saves ASAP, as well as Extra Attack.

Another idea I've been deciding on is if multiclassing into lore bard might just be better. It would likely be a 6 vengeance paladin / 10 lore bard split. Lore bard could fit the idea of being skilled and using everything in his employ to further his goals.

I don't have too much experience at campaigns past level 10, just looking for other ideas to either maximize the vengeance paladin / rogue interaction or if the lore bard option is just strictly superior.

bid

First Post
At bare minimum you need Str13 Dex13 and Cha13. Pally is hard to MC with non-Cha classes. I think the best is 16 13 14 8 12 14, with Str/Dex swapped as you wish.

Going bard is much easier, but pally 6 / bard 6 takes some time to build up. Then you can start 16 10 14 8 12 16.

Remove ads