• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimizing an Arcana Domain Cleric as a FF1 Red Mage

Cantrips: Ray of Frost, Greenflame Blade, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying, Guidance

What spells should I prepare as I progress? Command, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Bless, Lesser Restoration, and Spiritual Weapon are all that I have prepared. Currently at 4th level, so 3rd level Cleric.

RenZhe

First Post
Is there any reason why you're not running a Str/Wis build with Heavy Armor Mastery instead? Is Initiative that much more valuable?

Also, maybe consider Fighter 2/Cleric 18 to cap, since Action Surge is so good.

Guiding Bolt seems kind of corner-case when you have Magic Missile on tap.

Last edited:

Is there any reason why you're not running a Str/Wis build with Heavy Armor Mastery instead? Is Initiative that much more valuable?

Also, maybe consider Fighter 2/Cleric 18 to cap, since Action Surge is so good.

Guiding Bolt seems kind of corner-case when you have Magic Missile on tap.

When fighting sword & board, weapon damage is going to be limited to 1d8 regardless of Str/Dex. Thus, it came down to the added benefits of Str vs Dex. Originally, the build was going to favor Str, but then I discovered that Mobility would counter the heavy armor speed penalty in a high Dex build. I'll take the free disengage-lite over DR 3. In higher tiers, that DR becomes negligible, but the disengage-lite has use at every level of play.

I only went for the one-dip because of two reasons: 1. Don't want to delay Cleric progression any further for a single extra action once per day. 2. The 8-Bit Theatre Red Mage was as barely a Fighter as he was a Black/White Mage. Just somewhere in between it all.

Guiding Bolt is there because of the rider effect of one-shot advantage on a damaging spell. The Cleric list is already kinda light on direct damage as is, so it was a natural choice for the build concept of Ultimate Fifth Wheel. Rider effect is also why I chose Ray of Frost over Firebolt, plus too many things have fire resistance.

Remove ads