• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optimizing an Arcana Domain Cleric as a FF1 Red Mage

I'm trying to put together an Arcana Cleric for when the SCAG becomes AL legal. The concept that I'm going for is a bit of a throwback to the Final Fantasy 1 Red Mage, being a magical jack of all trades but master of none. This character would be able to fill in any secondary combat position (heal/blast/melee/support/control), but not really be focused on one particular role.

Here's what I have so far:

Variant Human
Str 8 Dex 16 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 16 Cha 8
Human Feat: Mobile (to counter heavy armor speed penalty)
1: Fighter 1 - Heavy/Martial/Con proficiency, Defense FS
2-20: Cleric 1-19 - Arcana Domain
ASIs/Feats: War Caster(5) +4 Wis(9/13) +4 Dex(17/20)
Cantrips: Ray of Frost, Greenflame Blade, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying, Guidance

What spells should I prepare as I progress?

Why don't you grab medium armor master instead, scale mail gives you better AC with your Dex16.
In the long run, I would end up with the same AC as I would in plate. Therefore, it really becomes a matter of which feat has better secondary benefits. The pseudo-disengage of Mobile is a lot better than the stealth component of MAM. Trust me, my first thought was to take MAM, but Mobile is a better feat in this case.

For weapon, all I'd be able to get out of a one-handed weapon is 1d8, so might as well go rapier instead of longsword. Plus, the FFTA Red Mages wielded rapiers. At 9th level, GFB (my Attack replacement) would be up to 2d8+7 on the primary target.

The area that I'm more unsure about is my spell selection. I think that I might switch Spare the Dying for Light, covering my need of a light source without having to hold a torch.

bid

First Post
In the long run, I would end up with the same AC as I would in plate. Therefore, it really becomes a matter of which feat has better secondary benefits. The pseudo-disengage of Mobile is a lot better than the stealth component of MAM. Trust me, my first thought was to take MAM, but Mobile is a better feat in this case.
Yeah, now that I see it "whether you hit or not" makes it much better.

Unless you are a Rogue and need the stealth aspect of MAM, Mobile is actually the far better feat to take for heavy armor builds that don't use Str. Monks aren't the only ones who can take advantage of it.

Edit: What are some worthwhile control spells from the Cleric list? Hybrid spells like Guiding Bolt, providing damage with riders, would be very welcome to this concept. I'm not very versed in the way of Cleric spells.

Last edited:

Since you're taking Mobile anyway, why not take Booming Blade?
I'm taking Mobile for the speed boost. I'm going to end up with a 19 AC (chain mail + shield + Defense FS) to start, so the retreat aspect of Mobile is more of a perk than a necessity. I don't have to worry about taking the rare OA that breaks my AC. I also designed this to be a magical switch-hitter, able to operate from any range.

Plus, I'm trying to stay as close to the Final Fantasy type spells as possible. The four primary types of damage from FF1 spells are fire, cold, lightning, and radiant. Using GFB is an homage to the FFTA Gladiator ability of Fire Blade. Ray of Frost is my Blizzard, while Sacred Flame is Holy. Boom Blade just doesn't fit the scheme.

Kithas

First Post
Firstly I don't remember red mages wearing heavy armor and it seems a bit out of place in your build, you could just use medium even without MaM, you lose only the 1 ac and you get to be more mobile, later on scoop up MaM and equal out with plate, while keeping the speed boost.
As far as classes you could mc into rogue for 3 for swashbuckler, you'd get another 2d6 a turn if you qualify for sneak atk, and it seems flavored right. Sneak attack works with gfb. This would also give you some much-needed out of combat versatility.
Honestly that sounds even better than fighter, ditch fighter, go 15/5 cleric/rogue. Uncanny dodge is incredibly defensive, combine that with defensive duelist and you will definitely be able to fill in for the tank in a pinch. 3d6 sneak attack makes your gfb really bite even on one target (3d6+2d8). You also get a great use for your bonus action in cunning action, you can even dash with that making you crazy fast.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
I'm taking Mobile for the speed boost. I'm going to end up with a 19 AC (chain mail + shield + Defense FS) to start, so the retreat aspect of Mobile is more of a perk than a necessity. I don't have to worry about taking the rare OA that breaks my AC. I also designed this to be a magical switch-hitter, able to operate from any range.
Even with good AC your going to be hit a fair bit, especially at higher levels.

And thunderaga is an FF spell.

Even with good AC your going to be hit a fair bit, especially at higher levels.

And thunderaga is an FF spell.
Yeah, but it did lightning-based damage, not thunder. The original FF1 NES localization used the names Lit1, Lit2, and Lit3, with Lit being short for Lightning. Switching it to Thunder/Thundara/Thundaga was a horrible mistake in localization history. It should have been Lightning/Lightnara/Lightnaga instead. It's not the thunder of a storm that can electrocute you, but the lightning.

Firstly I don't remember red mages wearing heavy armor and it seems a bit out of place in your build, you could just use medium even without MaM, you lose only the 1 ac and you get to be more mobile, later on scoop up MaM and equal out with plate, while keeping the speed boost.
As far as classes you could mc into rogue for 3 for swashbuckler, you'd get another 2d6 a turn if you qualify for sneak atk, and it seems flavored right. Sneak attack works with gfb. This would also give you some much-needed out of combat versatility.
Honestly that sounds even better than fighter, ditch fighter, go 15/5 cleric/rogue. Uncanny dodge is incredibly defensive, combine that with defensive duelist and you will definitely be able to fill in for the tank in a pinch. 3d6 sneak attack makes your gfb really bite even on one target (3d6+2d8). You also get a great use for your bonus action in cunning action, you can even dash with that making you crazy fast.
The Red Mage (FF1) could wear most of the Fighter's armor, save for some Knight-exclusive armor. That includes a good deal of what D&D considered heavy armor. Starting out, you could get Chain Mail for the RM.

In D&D terms, a RM is a Fighter/Cleric/Wizard. Since Arcana Domain condensed Cleric and Wizard, it was the perfect fit for the bulk of the levels. The Fighter aspect of the RM is represented by its armor and weapon proficiency. Thus, keeping the Fighter level in my build is to keep it in the spirit of its inspiration. At this point, I'm simply trying to optimize the spell selection. The rest of the build is locked in place. I'm not trying for overall optimization, just optimizing within the box I've chosen.

Last edited:

Remove ads