D&D 5E Optimizing Oathbreaker - Level 11 with a few bumps

I want to get other peoples ideas on this specific optimization. Working on the character for next week and wanted to pick everyone's brains.

This is an evil campaign. fyi if that changes how you optimize this.

Here is the low down:

Level 11
Oath Breaker Paladin
Most Likely Half-Elf (Appreciate thoughts on other races, maybe you can change my mind)
1 Rare Magic Item
1 Uncommon Magic Item
1500 Gold
All Starting Equipment/Starting Gold

Gavin O.

First Post
I want to get other peoples ideas on this specific optimization. Working on the character for next week and wanted to pick everyone's brains.

This is an evil campaign. fyi if that changes how you optimize this.

Here is the low down:

Level 11
Oath Breaker Paladin
Most Likely Half-Elf (Appreciate thoughts on other races, maybe you can change my mind)
1 Rare Magic Item
1 Uncommon Magic Item
1500 Gold
All Starting Equipment/Starting Gold

While you could definitely optimize around a melee attacker, here's a different idea: Go Wizard(6) with school of Necromancy, and Oathbreaker 5 (Going up to oathbreaker 7 ASAP) and optimize around Animate Dead. The level 6 necromancy feature gives all undead under your control a number of extra hitpoints equal to your wizard level (in this case 6), and a bonus to damage equal to your proficiency modifier (which is +4 at level 11 and +5 by 13), as well as one extra undead per cast. The level 7 Oathbreaker feature further enhances your summoned undead, giving any undead within 10 feet of you a bonus to damage rolls equal to your charisma modifier (which will be +5 by this point). That's +10 to damage. With 6 levels in wizard you have access to level 4 spell slots off the bat, which means if you use all your 3rd and 4th level slots on animate dead (it doesn't require concentration) you can have up to 16 undead under your control at once, you can buff their accuracy with bless and they do significant damage thanks to your Necromancer feature.

This is an extremely stat hungry build since to be a Paladin/Wizard you need 13 Strength, Int, and Cha, so I would recommend a non-variant human:

12+1 Strength
9+1 Dexterity
13+1 Constitution
13+1 Intelligence
11+1 Wisdom
15+1 Charisma

As a Wizard(6)/Paladin(5) you get 2 ASI, which you should both spend on +2 Cha to get to 20.

Even at level 11, having 16 skeletons shooting shortbows with +4 to hit and 1d6+6 damage is very effective. Once you get to 13, that becomes 1d6+11 damage. If you want to do some attacking yourself, you can dip one level into Hexblade for Cha to hit, otherwise you can cast spells and support your army.

CTurbo

Explorer
Do you know what the other characters will be?

I'd stay pure Paladin for all 11 levels. With Half-Elf you can start 16 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 16 Cha and I'd +2 to Cha at level 4 and +2 to Str at level 8 if you intend on being heavy in melee. If not, bump Cha to 20 at level 8. I'd go plate + shield and either Dueling or Defense fighting style would be great depending on if you prefer the boost to offense or defense.

Simple but very effective build

Do you know what the other characters will be?

I'd stay pure Paladin for all 11 levels. With Half-Elf you can start 16 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 16 Cha and I'd +2 to Cha at level 4 and +2 to Str at level 8 if you intend on being heavy in melee. If not, bump Cha to 20 at level 8. I'd go plate + shield and either Dueling or Defense fighting style would be great depending on if you prefer the boost to offense or defense.

Simple but very effective build
Ranger(range dmg focused), Wizard(c.f. focused) and Bard( melee utility hybrid)

Remember guys I get a Rare Magic item and a unccomon magic item, this may change your build ideas.

CTurbo

Explorer
Ring of Incredible Strength - rare - While you wear the rare version of this ring, your Strength score gets set to 21, and you can choose to use a weapon with the two handed property with one hand (only affects one weapon at a time) or to use a weapon with the heavy property as if it didn't have that property.

So sword and board with a Greatsword while getting the +2 from dueling.

Flaming Beserker Greataxe - rare - You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.

While you are holding this weapon, you can use an action to speak the command word to cause the weapon to burst into flames for 1 minute. During this period, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with weapon. Additionally, when you hit a creature with the flaming weapon, the target takes an additional 1d12 fire damage.

The flame does not damage or otherwise harm you. The flame vanishes after 1 minute or when the weapon is removed from your hand. Once you use the weapon's property, you cannot use it again until the next dawn.

Fullmetal Cloak Plate armor - rare - This armor has two forms it can switch between using a bonus action. Due to its animated design, if you have proficiency in light armor, you are also treated as having proficiency in heavy armor while wearing this cloak, and you do not have disadvantage on stealth checks.

Cloak mode: The armor wraps loosely around your body, like a cloak made of metal plates. It lashes out at attacks that would hit you. When you would be attacked by a ranged attack, you may use a reaction to increase your AC against the attack by 4. The cloak can also slow your descent, allowing you to use a reaction to reduce fall damage by 20.

Carapace mode: The armor wraps tightly around you, turning into an armored carapace. You are given an additional +1 to AC. Your land speed increases by 10 feet, and your jump height and distance are doubled.

Other options for rare magic items-

Regular +2 weapon
Regular +1 Armor
Regular +2 Shield <<<<<really OP
Amulet of Health - sets Con to 19
Belt of Hill Giant Str - sets Str to 21
Ring of Protection - +1 to AC and all saves

Remove ads