• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Optional Inspiration Die Rule: Home-brew

Whithers

First Post
I am thinking of offering a home-brew rule for inspiration to my players outside of what is in the book. The mechanic is to make the lows a little less dark and the highs a little less bright. The RP justification in this goes: Desperation inspires heroes to show their metal, while pride goeth before the fall.

Standing: The Party Inspiration Pool (PIP) can never be reduced below 1 by this rule. It may only be reduced to 0 by the decision of the party.
From the Bottom: The PIP gains 1 die of inspiration for each natural 1 rolled on a d20 as the party collectively digs in with resolve to overcome their obstacles.
From the Top: The PIP loses 1 die of inspiration for each natural 20 rolled on a d20 where the player fails a wisdom save and becomes overconfident in the party's ability.

Any constructive criticism?

Last edited:

cooperjer

Explorer
I would recommend keeping it positive. I also hand out inspiration on a roll of 1 to hit, but I use it as a risk vs reward system. If the player wants the inspiration then they accept a roll on the critical fail table. The active player gets one for themselves and gets to hand one to a fellow player. The DM only gets one inspiration die if he accepts the roll on the critical fail table.

Keeping the system positive should the energy positive in the game.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Having a PIP is a good way to encourage Inspiration use, since a player can see that with more than one available, there's the possibility of saving one for when it's "really needed." I wouldn't award them for die rolls, though. Tie them to character traits (flaws, alignment etc) so players get more investment and immersion.

Whithers

First Post
Thanks for the input. I wanted to weight it in favour of the players, but not let go without risks. My players also do amateur pool tourneys and a little friendly wagering. I added the inherent risk because they like that sort of thing. But I can see your points.

Remove ads