D&D 5E Options for the best archers

Aurelio

First Post
What's so great about Crossbow Expert?

Isn't a longbow better overall, and doesn't require a feat to catch up?

Or am I missing a way to abuse crossbow expert? :p

It's not about abuse, but Crossbow Expert does make the heavy crossbow better than the longbow in most respects. The heavy crossbow is the strongest ranged weapon with a 1d10 for damage compared to the longbow's 1d8. While the heavy crossbow does have less range than the longbow, in most cases, 400 ft. isn't effectively different than 600 ft., especially if you take the Sharpshooter feat. Your DM would have to be writing the campaign for your benefit for the disparity to come into play. The heavy crossbow is... well... heavier than the longbow, but I can only see that being a big deal if you dump Str hard.

The crossbow's greatest weakness, the loading property, and ranged combat's greatest weakness, disadvantage on attacks when within 5 ft. of an enemy, are ignored when you take CE. And of course, you get a whole extra attack - you don't even lose any of your modifiers on the attack or damage rolls or anything.

So yeah, the heavy crossbow with Crossbow Expert is pretty sweet.

I value the following attributes with my Fighter/Rogue Archer...

1) Longbow Proficiency - came along with being a Wood Elf
2) High Dexterity - means a higher hit percentage, additional damage and chance to hide
3) Archer Fighting Style - means a higher hit percentage
4) Sharpshooter Feat - means no more range or cover mods and the -5/+10 option. Often backs away from a fight, but not too far to be easily isolated
5) Additional Attack - more shots down range per round
6) Action Surge - even more shots down range in a given round
7) Cunning Action - means he can evade a melee threat by using Disengage or gain Advantage by firing from Hiding using a Bonus Action
8) Sneak Attack - gains some extra damage dice on an attack if he can fire from Advantage or into melee with allies involved
9) Battle Master - great options here. Often use Precise Shot to make up for a shortfall when rolling a -5/+10 Sharpshooter attack, or Menacing Attack when needed (or to boost Critical damage).
10) Expertise - for Stealth, to fire from hiding and gain Advantage whenever possible
11) Assassinate - if you can get Surprise, then all hits are Crits. Surprise for an Archer is typically easier than a melee character due to firing from cover

Remove ads