D&D 5E Options for the best archers

Coredump

Explorer
As a Barbarian archer, you will have your Dex and Con pumped, with Unarmored defense that means you can have a relatively high AC without wearing armor no disadvantage on stealth rolls, perfect for you to sneak into the trees or around the enemy to set up an ambush. You get the biggest hit die of any class so you can still stand up to a little punishment and with rage, despite a somewhat neglected Str stat (don't dump it), you can still do decent melee damage in tight combat. If you need an AC bump you can use a shield without losing your unarmored defense.

By taking the eagle powers, the first one allows you to impose disadvantage on attacks of opportunity from movement, so you can escape melee combat with a lower likelihood of being hit, second improvement your eyesight becomes insanely powerful including no disadvantage at dusk and seeing fine detail out to 1 mile, at 14th level you can fly 45 - 90 feet on your turn, to give yourself high ground so you can only be targeted by other ranged attacks.

Added bonus: Enter a rage to take half damage, but by being a barbarian you can melee with the best of them, without compromising being an amazing archer of stealthy awesomeness. Also, bonus points, unique build.
I'm just not seeing it. I mean, it could be a fun PC to play... but I just don't see it being that good of an archer.

Studded leather is going to give just as good an AC as Unarmored defense, and also no disad for stealth. And Barbs don't have stealth as a skill anyway. (Could via background, or human....)
Grab a rapier and do as much melee damage as a raging barb with mediocre Str.
1 mile eyesight is kinda nifty, but doesn't really do much for archery, you can only shoot about 1/10 that far. Disads on AoO is neat, but you shouldn't be in melee that often. Or take two rogue levels and don't worry about it at all. (Plus pick up SA die and expertise)
You don't get archery fighting style.
You don't get anyway to add to the damage, like sneak attack, or action surge, or hunters mark, or collossus slayer.....

With larger hit die and rage damage resistence... you will be able to tank better. But not sure how much that matters for an archer.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ranger can cast the spell Hunter's Mark for additional damage. One of their choices can also give an extra attack vs. an adjacent foe - not as powerful as focus fire and it may often not come up, but it's tons quicker than the fighter 3rd attack.

Dex paladin can give you a big bonus to hitting (either +Chr to weapon or auto advantage vs. a single opponent for 2 of the 3 oaths) once per short rest, and can also concentrate on the Bless spell which offsets a lot of the penalty for -5/+10. And they have enough defense to keep concentration going. Though they would need a dip to grab Archery fighting style.

Fighters have more attacks than anyone, will max stats quicker and then get more feats. If your DM allows dual hand crossbows then crossbow expert and sharpshooter go great together and Fighter has the feats to make it happen. Also not taking variant human has less opportunity cost because of more feats overall. battlemaster has many abilities that work nicely with ranged weapons, and the sheer number of attacks make champion's extended crit range nice.

Last edited:

trentonjoe

Explorer
The ranger can also do an extra d8. So with hunters mark the bow does 2d8+1d6+dex.

Colossus Slayer. Your tenacity can w ear down
the most potent foes. When you hit a creature with a
weapon attack, the creature takes an extra 1d8 damage
if it’s below its hit point maximum.
You can deal this
extra damage only once per turn.

Pickles JG

First Post
Question about sharpshooter, since I'll be 4th level soon and can choose a feat if I want. I was initially considering sharpshooter, but wonder how useful it is in actual play. How often do you get to take advantage of the extra range? Longbow has such a long standard range, I can't think of many times you'd need or even be able to go beyond that...particularly when you consider visibility. So, has it been useful for you?

Not super relevant in 3e my fighter got to level 4 & only tookj one shot at > 120 range then died of boredom.
In 5re I have had players fighting fliers who have been around maximum range a fair bit - relevant but not huge.
I usually give cover to monsters in melee with allies unless they can manoeuvre for a clear shot so the cover bit is somewhat useful.
The -5/+10 damage thing is absolutely huge & why the feat is so good.

Heavy Crossbows are worse as you cannot make multiple attacks unless you get the feat to allow reloading (& also ignore penalties for melee & arguably break hand crossbows.) With that feat they are fractionally better (more damage) but its close enough to be style if you can choose other feats.

I think Rangers make the best archers with Hunters mark & either colossus slayer or hordebreaker. They also have more non combat options then fighters & spells which are better than the fighter spells if he goes that way.

I don't think you can go far wrong with either fighter or ranger or a mix & with added rogue to taste (make sure you get 5 levels of one warrior reasonably quickly though)

Derren

Hero
Human or Wood-Elf Barbarian
<snip>

So the advantages of an barbarian archer is that he is good in melee?

@topic
If the group has many melee characters than a rogue archer would imo be better because of sneak attack. If not then maybe a battle master would be more useful.
And when you dip into fighter as rogue, think about not dipping one level but two for the Action Surge.

Sharpshooter is a must, that -5/+10 is very strong, Crossbow Expert is situational if you get into melee often.

Herr der Qual

First Post
The barbarian archer isn't an obvious choice. However, super flexible. Think Legolas in the movies, a force to be reckoned with he can move through the fray at will to be where he is most needed, he heavily favors his bow but can get down and dirty with blades. The build I suggested with a feat or two is essentially aiming for that versatility. I understand he's bacon flavored ice cream, not everyone is going to try it but it's an interesting mix of familiar flavors in a new suit. I for one will take a bowl of bacon ice cream.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I don't think the Barbarian Archer is optimal, but it sure does sound fun. :)

It also doesn't come off as a gimped character, just not optimized.

JMO

Minsc

Explorer
What's so great about Crossbow Expert?

Isn't a longbow better overall, and doesn't require a feat to catch up?

Or am I missing a way to abuse crossbow expert? :p

Herr der Qual

First Post
True but it makes them more versatile because it means that even without a stacked Str your not completely useless in situations where you aren't/can't use your bow. I've played a few archers and never gotten away from down and dirty melee combat, you then get to make up that 2 points of damage by ramping up your dex (which also boosts your AC)

Remove ads