• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orb of Imposition: How's it work?

Which is the correct implementation of Orb of Imposition?

• Any at-will power (eg Magic Missile) may be extended; effectively 2nd attack next round.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any at-will power (eg Magic Missile) may be extended; same or next round.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Irda Ranger

First Post
Player's Handbook said:
Orb of Imposition:
Encounter * Free
You can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will spell (such as cloud of daggers or ray of frost) that would otherwise end at the end of your current turn. The effect instead ends at the end of your next turn.

What does the above mean? I have my own feeling for the right answer, but a player of mine disagrees. To resolve the dispute we have agreed to consult the collective wisdom of EN World. Poll results (or a WotC dev piping in with an official answer) will control.

EDIT: There is a 100 character limit on polls that made me shorten the choices from their original drafting; this may be resulting in confusion.

What it would have looked like is:
  1. Only at-will spells with a lasting effect (such as Ray of Frost or Cloud of Daggers) can be extended. The target suffers the lasting effect only (eg, slowed, hit with obstacle, etc.) for another round.
  2. Only at-will spells with a lasting effect (such as Ray of Frost or Cloud of Daggers) can be extended. The target takes a full "Hit" again for full damage again AND the lasting effect (eg, slowed, hit with obstacle, etc.) for another round.
  3. Any at-will spell (even Magic Missile) can be extended. Target takes the full Hit & Effect again from any at-will spell (even Magic Missile) in the next round.
  4. Any at-will spell (even Magic Missile) can be extended. Target takes the full Hit & Effect again from any at-will spell (even Magic Missile) in the same round (for immediate spells like Magic Missile) or the next round (for last spells like Ray of Frost or Cloud of Daggers).

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
I voted the second option, but with reservation. I don't think the target is "hit" a second time, but I think the "obstacle" effect of cloud of daggers would continue on another round.

Boarstorm said:
I voted the second option, but with reservation. I don't think the target is "hit" a second time, but I think the "obstacle" effect of cloud of daggers would continue on another round.

This. None of your options are entirely accurate, though number 2 is closest.

Dark080matter

First Post
The key here is the word "Effect" which refers to a distinct gameplay mechanic (ie. the whole Hit vs. Miss vs. Effect trinity of either/and/or attack results)... the unfortunate thing is that for the Ray of Frost example, there is no "Effect," rather the Slowed is a function of first "Hitting" the targets Fortitude.

Tricky.

This is why I'm going to turn to the other clue-in given in the Orb text.

"that would otherwise end at the end of your current turn" indicates strongly that damage, or the Thunderwave push are definitely not meant in this case. Damage is not an effect that remains, only to end after your next turn. Neither is a placement push... see that?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Boarstorm said:
That's what I meant to say with the first choice, but there is a 100 character limit on polls that made me shorten it to the point of possible unclarity.

Last edited:

Boarstorm

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
That's what I meant to say with the first choice, but there is a 100 character limit on polls that made me shorten it to the point of possible unclarity.

Then by all means, make it unanimous as of current totals. :)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Irda Ranger said:
  1. Only at-will spells with a lasting effect (such as Ray of Frost or Cloud of Daggers) can be extended. The target suffers the lasting effect only (eg, slowed, hit with obstacle, etc.) for another round.
Just this one, like the Mouse says.

Cheers, -- N

On Puget Sound

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Player's Handbook, pg. 157
Orb of Imposition:
Encounter * Free
You can choose to extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will spell (such as cloud of daggers or ray of frost) that would otherwise end at the end of your current turn. The effect instead ends at the end of your next turn.

Until today this applied only to cloud of daggers, ray of frost, and some prestidigitation effects. No other at-wills had an effect that "ended at the end of" any turn. Now there are some new at-wills for illusion-based wizards in Dragon magazine, so it may apply to them as well; I haven't read them. And of course if you have home-brewed at-wills, who knows?

I've noticed some people missing the "at will" and trying to use the orb to extend encounter powers.

Remove ads