ORCUS! EXCLUSIVE! ESCAPIST!

The Escapist has an awesome preview of Orcus himself! And by preview, I mean the stats -- along with some background features for Out of the Abyss. He's a CR 26 monster, wielding his famous wand. Also interesting his the quote from Chris Perkins, who clarified that the PCs would not fight him directly, but that "Fortunately, Out of the Abyss gives characters the chance to amass a small army and also turn the demon lords against one another, thus weakening them. There are also a couple other ways to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss, which is the party's ultimate goal."

The Escapist has an awesome preview of Orcus himself! And by preview, I mean the stats -- along with some background features for Out of the Abyss. He's a CR 26 monster, wielding his famous wand. Also interesting his the quote from Chris Perkins, who clarified that the PCs would not fight him directly, but that "Fortunately, Out of the Abyss gives characters the chance to amass a small army and also turn the demon lords against one another, thus weakening them. There are also a couple other ways to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss, which is the party's ultimate goal."

For more, click on either of the images below! For tons more Out of the Abyss coverage, click here! It comes out September 15th (or the 4th in preferred stores - that's next Friday!)

962494.png

962486.png

Sacrosanct

Legend
Juiblex is correct..

No it's not. The table name is "Madness of Orcus", so to instruct to 'roll on the Madness of Jubilex table" is wrong. I'm assuming there's another table by that name somewhere else by reading that statement, which they clearly mean to roll on the table below instead. Clear proofreading issue

JeffB

Legend
WotC has been using "Jubilex." Regardless, it has nothing to do with Jubilex. It should say "roll on the Madness of Orcus table"...

Since when? Admittedly I don't have any 3 or 4E products I know of that has Juiblex in it. But thats funny too. Nobody has it right, including the people who own the property.

And ok. Didn't see the obvious there re: the table :duh:

JeffB

Legend
No it's not. The table name is "Madness of Orcus", so to instruct to 'roll on the Madness of Jubilex table" is wrong. I'm assuming there's another table by that name somewhere else. Clear proofreading issue

Yeah, got that.....thought the OP was taking issue with spelling of Juiblex.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, got that.....thought the OP was taking issue with spelling of Juiblex.

looks like I posted right before you posted. It happens :)

As far as the image, I don't mind it. Although, I always think of Orcus like this

orcus-lockwood-300.jpg

Uder

First Post
Reading his abilities a little closer, he seems to suffer from limited actions. Might be fun to let him use the wand as a bonus action, or in place of a wand attack.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
As long as he's not the pushover he was in 4e.

Then again, my main issue with the fight in module E3 was probably not with his stats per se, but that the Fighter class was OP. Orcus got locked in melee with the tank and anytime he tried to do anything else he took an opportunity attack and fell flat on his face.

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
As far as Juiblex spelling, it seems Wizards is using that spelling - the demon lord cards they were handing out at GenCon even list the phonetic pronunciation as [JOO-ee-blex]. FWIW, I honestly thought it was Jubilex as well!

Remove ads

Remove ads