• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Order of the Stick #341

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
At his book signing last week, Rich said that any time he has to draw new people it takes much longer than normal, and drawing city scenes are the same way. For instance, that "crime scene" strip in cliffport took 4-5 times as long as normal. I'm betting this strip was the same way, which explains why it was later than usual.

Storm Raven

First Post
neg said:
I love Order of the Stick, but I have to say the panel that was showing the whole cityscape made me think they were adventuring in Anywhere Downtown, USA as opposed to a setting from a time long ago. A little jarring...was I the only one who felt this?

Do you think that the typical D&D campaign takes place in a setting that is markedly different from Anywhere Downtown USA?

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
At his book signing last week, Rich said that any time he has to draw new people it takes much longer than normal, and drawing city scenes are the same way. For instance, that "crime scene" strip in cliffport took 4-5 times as long as normal. I'm betting this strip was the same way, which explains why it was later than usual.

I'm amazed, though, at how quickly he can draw one of his regular characters. He drew Vaarsuvius in the time it'd take someone to sign their name.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I'm amazed, though, at how quickly he can draw one of his regular characters. He drew Vaarsuvius in the time it'd take someone to sign their name.

It is a stick figure.

Not bashing the guy but how long should it take?

neg

Explorer
shilsen said:
Well, if they were in a setting from a time long ago, that would be pretty jarring too, since there wasn't any time long ago, that I know of, which included magic, dragon, half-orcs, etc.

So I will take that as a no? It wasn't jarring for you. ;)

I meant for a fantasy setting, the buildings all looked boxy and skyscrapper-ish. It jolted me out of my suspension of disbelief for a second...then I was right back in it with Gumdrop Mountains! :lol:

neg

Explorer
Storm Raven said:
Do you think that the typical D&D campaign takes place in a setting that is markedly different from Anywhere Downtown USA?

Yes, otherwise it would be called d20 Modern...and I wouldn't want to read about it in a web-comic.

:)

Cheiromancer said:
Hmm, normally he just cuts and pastes a half-dozen poses and mouths together to create his characters.

frankthedm

First Post
neg said:
I love Order of the Stick, but I have to say the panel that was showing the whole cityscape made me think they were adventuring in Anywhere Downtown, USA as opposed to a setting from a time long ago. A little jarring...was I the only one who felt this?
I assumed it was a small jab at DMs who simply say “your characters are in blah-blah city” without describing it in any detail, leaving the players own minds to fill in the details of what the city looks like.

The DM thinks Elizabethan half timbered houses and peasant huts with thatched roofs, the players think the nearby metropolitan area or Liberty city.

Speaking of which I am really hoping we get a GTA reference.

Remove ads