• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Organizations

The_Universe

First Post
Is your character part of an organization? A club? A secret society? A priestly order?

What types of things are you looking for? You give me the gist, and I'll start filling in world-apropriate details, or try to redirect you toward something that will work better.

Well... my character *used* to belong to a crew of pyrates, but that's (at least for the moment) in the past.

She has royal blood, but I don't know if that means that she belongs to any organization/if any organization revolves around the royal bloodline...

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Well yes to the priestly order, but we've already spoken briefly on that. Is there any thing else you need from me on that front? I guess secret societies are always fun... perhaps though on a "mission" from my priestly order, my allegiances could ultimately lie elsewhere... or not. How spicy do you want to go? :D

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Well yes to the priestly order, but we've already spoken briefly on that. Is there any thing else you need from me on that front? I guess secret societies are always fun... perhaps though on a "mission" from my priestly order, my allegiances could ultimately lie elsewhere... or not. How spicy do you want to go? :D
Well, primarily, I'm not all that certain what sort of priestly order you ultimately settled on. As best I can recall, you had sort of settled on being a member of one of Belial (the Sun God's) orders, which would make your favored weapon the mace or morningstar. However, in our recent discussions, we've been discussing weapons in terms of you being a member of an order associated with Aryal (the War God). Which is it? Or do you want to take this in an entirely different direction?

As for secret societies, they're a veritable guarantee, though you may not begin the game as a member of any of them. You're probably aware, at the very least, of the supposed existence of such things. As a man of the gods, heretical priestly orders and dark cults are sort of your stock-in-trade.

AIM-54

First Post
I'm not sure any come directly to mind, but perhaps an order sworn to protect, defend, preserve, whatever, the dwarven kingdom might be appropriate, especially given that there's something going on that my character has spoken out about, out of turn, as it were, that's lead to his current predicament. I'm not sure what any of these details are, but something we can hammer out in the near future, perhaps.

The_Universe

First Post
AIM-54 said:
I'm not sure any come directly to mind, but perhaps an order sworn to protect, defend, preserve, whatever, the dwarven kingdom might be appropriate, especially given that there's something going on that my character has spoken out about, out of turn, as it were, that's lead to his current predicament. I'm not sure what any of these details are, but something we can hammer out in the near future, perhaps.
In this case, the organization in question is more than likely your clan, rather than a seperate group. You've mentioned before that you envision your character being a member of the "martial caste," which, in this case, could work particularly well.

Bearing in mind that even the most noble of the clan/caste system begin their service in the lowest ranks of the dwarven army, where approximately do you see this character's social standing? Is he a prince, a future leader, or a peon complaining above his paygrade? Do you have a preference?

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Yeah, I think I'm headed in more of the Aryal direction. War/Glory will probably be my domains of choice now, like we discussed the other night. So as far as the order is concerned... we could take it one of two ways. First, like we talked about already, I'm an active member of my priestly order currently undertaking some sort of task at its direction. The alternative is more of a wandering warrior priest (sort of like Caine from Kung Fu), exiled from an order. I'm really okay with either, but have been thinking about the latter a bit more lately. Does either fit particularly well/poorly in your story?

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Yeah, I think I'm headed in more of the Aryal direction. War/Glory will probably be my domains of choice now, like we discussed the other night. So as far as the order is concerned... we could take it one of two ways. First, like we talked about already, I'm an active member of my priestly order currently undertaking some sort of task at its direction. The alternative is more of a wandering warrior priest (sort of like Caine from Kung Fu), exiled from an order. I'm really okay with either, but have been thinking about the latter a bit more lately. Does either fit particularly well/poorly in your story?
I'd prefer to have you, at least up to the moment the game begins, as a member of an order, rather than a wandering loner, especially if you're going to be a priest of Aryal. As one might expect, War priests tend to be part of large, militiaristic organizations.

That being said, although the domains don't exactly fit, you could also be a cleric of Anatial, the god of Law, Justice, Order, and Civilization. They tend to wander around alone and judge disputes among commoners, etc.

AIM-54

First Post
The_Universe said:
In this case, the organization in question is more than likely your clan, rather than a seperate group. You've mentioned before that you envision your character being a member of the "martial caste," which, in this case, could work particularly well.

Bearing in mind that even the most noble of the clan/caste system begin their service in the lowest ranks of the dwarven army, where approximately do you see this character's social standing? Is he a prince, a future leader, or a peon complaining above his paygrade? Do you have a preference?

How does the clan/caste system work? Are their various clans associated with a particular caste, thus one is born into a caste? Or are the clans separate from castes and at the age of majority one is put into an appropriate caste based on a test or whatever? As I see the character, he's been in for a long time (I envision him being around 325, using the time-scale that dwarven age is equivalent to ten times human age) and is currently an NCO equivalent, but with the potential to be a commissioned officer-equivalent, and indeed where he is because of a penchant for questioning orders that don't make sense to him or that he sees needlessly endangering those under his command, or asking questions about things he sees happening that it would be better, career-wise, not to ask. Does that make sense?

NuclearWookiee

First Post
The_Universe said:
I'd prefer to have you, at least up to the moment the game begins, as a member of an order, rather than a wandering loner, especially if you're going to be a priest of Aryal. As one might expect, War priests tend to be part of large, militiaristic organizations.

That being said, although the domains don't exactly fit, you could also be a cleric of Anatial, the god of Law, Justice, Order, and Civilization. They tend to wander around alone and judge disputes among commoners, etc.

Current member of a militaristic order it is then. I'll have to see what I can do about getting expelled... HA

Remove ads