• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Organized Play has given up control of Living City

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
LC has passed on.

http://www.organizedplay.com:8180/

I played low-level characters in Living City for years. Despite frustrations (I had one low-level thief actually turned to stone and used as a parrot perch for a year, because he shoplifted a 5 CP bowl out of a small merchant's shop,) I generally enjoyed many of the games I was in.

I was surprised when Ryan bought it, though. Even then it had a bad reputation and too much baggage. Living Greyhawk steamrolled over its player base, and unfortunately Organized Play has consistently lost money.

I wish Ryan the best, and hope he finds something else that has more potential.

Last edited:

Dirigible

Explorer
I had one low-level thief actually turned to stone and used as a parrot perch for a year, because he shoplifted a 5 CP bowl out of a small merchant's shop.

:eek:

Harsh, yet hilarious.

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I'll hold off on a eulogy until WotC decides what to do with the campaign, but this news actually makes me quite sad. LC in all incarnations certainly had its flaws, but I owe some of my best friends and, probably, my career to the Living City campaign, and I'll be sad if and when it finally comes to a close.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine
Author of something like a dozen LC adventures

TeaBee

First Post
I played my first LC games at Origins 2003. I was looking forward to playing more...

Does this change their plan to publish LC adventures in a book? That too, would be too bad...

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Piratecat said:
Despite frustrations (I had one low-level thief actually turned to stone and used as a parrot perch for a year, because he shoplifted a 5 CP bowl out of a small merchant's shop,)
Isn't that about normal for Forgotten Realms though?

How are these things able to make money? They charge or something? I was going to get involved in Living Kalamar a while back and I don't remember anything about money.

The article says he's transitioning over to an OGL/d20 campaign, supported by a third party publisher. If you're all lucky, maybe you'll get something like Living Bluffside or Living Arcana Unearthed.

Last edited:

johnsemlak

First Post
Piratecat said:
LC has passed on.

http://www.organizedplay.com:8180/

I played low-level characters in Living City for years. Despite frustrations (I had one low-level thief actually turned to stone and used as a parrot perch for a year, because he shoplifted a 5 CP bowl out of a small merchant's shop,) I generally enjoyed many of the games I was in.

I was surprised when Ryan bought it, though. Even then it had a bad reputation and too much baggage. Living Greyhawk steamrolled over its player base, and unfortunately Organized Play has consistently lost money.

I wish Ryan the best, and hope he finds something else that has more potential.
Hmm, can't believe I missed this. Gotta put this one the news site.

Arnwyn

First Post
arcady said:
Isn't that about normal for Forgotten Realms though?
Uh, no. It's only normal for LC.

(Come to think of it, I'm thinking that most of the false rumors and assumptions about FR comes from LC...)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sorry to hear it, but between Living Greyhawk and the Green Regent setting, is it any wonder Living City passed on? Its market was crowded out by the other RPGA settings.

Taren Seeker

First Post
Henry said:
Sorry to hear it, but between Living Greyhawk and the Green Regent setting, is it any wonder Living City passed on? Its market was crowded out by the other RPGA settings.
Well, if there was less hostility shown towards the existing players and if modules were actually released it might have had a chance...although it would never have been a money maker IMO.

I was a hardcore LC high level player, and there were something like 3 modules to play in the last 18 months. After 6 months of inactivity you start to lose interest. Hardly anyone could play the Ruins of Raven's Bluff even if they wanted to due to the 10 table minimum requirement.

pssst...Hey Erik, does your goodwill towards LC include helping out a potential member-run campaign? You ARE responsible for some of the greatest modules in LC history :D

Erik Mona

Adventurer
I'm not sure everyone would agree with your assessment, Taren, but I'm flattered nonetheless. :)

I'd actually agreed to write some stuff for the campaign some time within the next year, but I'm unsure what this news means for those plans. I'll keep my eye on the campaign's fate and see if there's anything I can do to help out.

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

Remove ads