Original Star Wars actors to take center stage in new movie

GreyLord

Legend
I think it can be understood - Many fans wanted more SG:1 and Atlantis, they didn't really want a different take.
And the people that might have liked a different take - probably expected more along the lines of SG:1 and SGA and didn't try it out in the first place.

And then there is the subset of the people that simply didn't like it because it was too dark, the characters weren't sympathetic enough. That was a problem that BSG also had, but it was much more obvious this would be different (because no one makes shows like in the 80s more :p ).

One aspect that I loved about SGU was that it brought back a sense of wonder to Science Fiction. Communicating with aliens (while ultimately still too easy to be "realistic"), wasn't as easy, and they really didn't know the answers or had all the tools to get them. Things remained mysterious for a long time. When they revealed the mission of the Destiny, there was yet another fascinating mystery.

Of course, some might have wanted to see more of this exploration and wonder aspect then of the "soapy" stuff. It's not easy to get the mixture right for a sufficiently large audience, and I suppose, ultimately SGU failed. But it had appeal to you or me (and many others), and it is sad that we'll never have a resolution.

My problem with SGU was really none of that.

My problem...for me...it was flat out boring. There were some episodes they could have covered everything they did in 15 minutes...rather than an hour (or 45 minutes depending on how you look at it). It literally couldn't keep my attention, intellectually, or entertainment wise.

I did get the seasons on DVD...that way I could speed through the episodes without having to wonder if I was going to fall asleep while they did nothing for 30 minutes.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
So to recap:

Star Trek: Kitschy Classic
Star Trek: the Next Generation: Awesome
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Refreshing
Star Trek: Voyager: /facepalm
Star Trek: Entreprise: Meh

Star Wars: Episode 4-6: Classic, cause Lucas didn't make 2 out of 3 of them
Star Wars: Episode 1-3: Kill it with fire

Battlestar Galactica (reimagined) : Decent
Battlestar Galactica: (original series): ?

Star Gate: Cheap

Farscape: Silly

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Maybe we didn't see the same show

It's certainly possible.

Well, imho, Stargate is bad, period. I cannot stand to watch an entire episode, no matter from which incarnation of the show.

Here's where things get fun: Much like ST:tNG and ST: DS9 Stargate:SG1 and Stargate:Atlantis take a while to get up to speed. The first couple seasons of both are really pretty terrible. Basically, if you saw early shows only I can totally understand your opinion ... and why you wouldn't bother watching long enough to get to the good stuff. I hated early SG1 and Atlantis. My friends kept trying to get me to watch the show and I absolutely refused. One day, though, there was nothing on so I gave SG:1 another shot. It was a later season and I was very surprised at the difference in overall quality. Since then I've been a fan. But yeah, the early stuff is really pretty bad.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Kitschy classic, but not the same kind of kitschy as Star Trek. Aimed at a younger crowd; less preachy but somewhat sillier.

first 3 episodes/movie was/were great, in a 1970s nostalgia view. Not quite what you'd call classic (quality isn't fully there), but close. Unfortunately, this was a triumph of marketing (again). There was no plan, and no substance. Actors were getting scripts for scenes in the afternoon that had been filmed in the morning. Then you had silly stuff like the Western gunslinger cylon and the dirty dozen kids vs cylons. Then the studio said "no more cylons--they're too expensive to film. And wait, if the fleet represents the last of the human race outside of Earth, how come they keep running into humans every couple months?

And the less said about Galactica 1980 then better.

Remove ads