Orthar, god of... er... many things.

Someone

Adventurer
Orthar, god of beginnings and ends.
The Contradictory, the Two Faced

Orthar, Creator Aspect
Enworldian Greater Deity
Symbol: Four sticks, two vertical and two horyzontal, symbolizing a scaffold (like this: #).
Home Plane: ???
Alignment: Lawful Good
Portfolio: Creation, manufacturing, construction, prosperity, growth.
Worshippers: Artisans, builders, and generally those who desire prosperity.
Cleric Alignments: LG, LN, NG
Domains: Law, Good, Creation, Community, Artifice.
Favored Weapon: Pick

Orthar, Destructor Aspect
Enworldian Greater Deity
Symbol: A triangle, symbolizing a pile of ahes.
Home Plane: ???
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Portfolio: Decay, Destruction, Illness, Death.
Worshippers: Madmen, Evil spellcasters, Demons, and those who desire ill luck for his neighbour.
Cleric Alignments: NE, CE, CN
Domains: Chaos, Evil, Destruction, Darkness, Madness.
Favored Weapon: Serrated longsword

The sect of the Balance.
Symbol: A rectangle overimposed over a triangle: symbolizing a tower being built out of rubble, or a tower being destroyed.
Alignment: True neutral
Cleric Alignments: NE, NG, LN, CN, N
Domains: Creation, Destruction
Favored Weapon: Pick

Orthar is better descibed as a force, the equilibrium between control and disorder, entropy and order. With one hand he brings new things, watches over builders and artisans, and favors those who build communities, bringing order to the unorganized masses. On the other hand, he´s a destructive principle, the end that all things must meet, the cold oblivion, the pure chaos. Though death is part of this aspect, he doesn´t care about the spirits of the dead, since they must -according to some dubious dogma muttered by some of his worshippers- be finished some day too.

Needless to say, the creator aspect is worshipped much more openly than the destroyer aspect, and by a great number of common folk. Many people, though, direct silent prayers to it when they want to curse somebody.

A sect of philosophers worship the two aspects simultaneously, reasoning that there must be destruction to make room for new things, and woithout creation there would be nothing to destroy. They are few and far between, though very vocal and eager to make themselves public.

Themples to Orthar are always dedicated to the creator aspect: they are as great and magnificent as the constructor can afford; tradition dictates to have a small room to the appeasement of the destoryer aspect. The cults dedicated to the destructor side of Orthar gather in sites of death and decay: ruins, sewers, or long forgotten graveyards. The sect of the balance doesn´t build temples, and instead preach where they can.

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Is it Othar or Uthur? You have it listed as both.

Interesting concept... I'll have to think how it fits in the cosmology of Enworld. I'm not sure I like the tri-faced nature of a single god though.

Balance should have at least 1 more domain. I could see offering all 4 alignment domains though, since you could only actualy take one of them at most.

Someone

Adventurer
Name is fixed. I´m open to suggestions about other domains for the sect of balance, though it´s not a god: the sect is that, a sect that worships both aspects. A church of the constructor aspect could all worship the Law and Artifice domains, for example.

The sect´s purpose is to complete the amoral nature of the god, who trascends cosmic principles of good and evil; he embodies primal forces way beyond the concerns of lesser gods. I´m aware it may not fit in the cosmology, but I´m glad of just brainstorming and throw ideas around.

orsal

LEW Judge
Someone said:
Uthur, god of beginnings and ends.
The Contradictory, the Two Faced

Uthur, Creator Aspect
Alignment: Lawful Good
Cleric Alignments: LG, NG, CG

Is this an intentional exception to the "within one step" rule?

I don't think I like it, nor the idea of a single god with self-contradictory alignments. I'll hold off to give you a chance to sell me, but I'm leaning toward a negative vote.

Bront

The man with the probe
Also, Uthur (Othar? text and title still different from lables) sorta fills in 2 rolls that are already filled with Halor and Gundar (The primal law and chaos gods that war, and supposedly tore enworld apart before it was placed on the Enworldphant).

I'm leaning towards a No, not because I don't like the concept, but because it clashes with the current deities.

Endovior

First Post
I'd suggest adding the Fate domain to the Balance aspect... and swapping Destruction's Darkness domain for the Force domain.

Bront

The man with the probe
Endovior said:
I'd suggest adding the Fate domain to the Balance aspect... and swapping Destruction's Darkness domain for the Force domain.
You gave me an interesting thought Endovior.

Remove ads