Things from my setting

Obly99

Hero
Glad you liked it.
Is this modified from the athas.org writeup?
No, this is a modified version of the base class Athasian Dragon, from the athas.org I take only the description of the evolution based on level
1st: Physically, the newly formed dragon changes very little, save normally doubling its mass. You may retain its original height and simply gain bulk, may also in height, or may simply grow denser. Physical changes are uncontrollable and unpredictable. Though you retain humanoid characteristics, your face elongates slightly and your nostrils lengthen. Your spine becomes more pronounced, and rudimentary scales appear on the shoulders and back. Example: A human mass may increase up to 350 pounds.

2nd: At this point, your physical form changes still further increasing in both height and weight. Your face elongates further and the first hints of scales appear on your lengthened snout. Your spine becomes even more pronounced, and the stub of a tail appears. Your wicked claws can now be used as weapons. Example: A human’s weight may increase up to 450 pounds, and their height can be as tall as 10 foot.

3rd: You continue to grow in weight and height. All limbs lengthen drastically, including fingers and toes. Your neck also lengthens, lifting your now reptilian head and face far above its shoulders; all hair vanishes at this time. Example: A human’s weight may increase up to 650 pounds, and they may gain another foot in height.

4th: Your humanoid origins can now hardly be recognized, as your weight and height continue to increase. Scales now cover every part of your body but the underbelly and the underside of your limbs, strengthening your natural armor. The legs become strikingly inhuman, developing huge thighs and a hard-angled, bony calf and taloned foot. At this point, you may also hunch severely at shoulder and waist, and can move either upright or on all four limbs. Tour dragon’s jaws protrude remarkably giving you a devastating bite. Example: A human’s weight may increase up to 900 pounds, and they may be as long as 12 foot.

5th: Now fully the double your original height in length from snout to growing tail, your weight and length continue to increase, mostly due to your full-grown tail. Example: A human would be now fully 12 feet long and weigh around 1,600 pounds.

6th: By this time, your form is completely hunched but you can still stand erect at your full height at times. Both your scales and hind legs have strengthened significantly. Example: A human at this point would be a full 16 feet tall, as well as weighing 2,000 pounds.

7th: You continue to gain in weight and length. Example: A human at this point would be over 20 feet long, as well as weighing 4,000 pounds.

8th: You continue to increase in length and weight and wings sprout from your back. Example: A human at this point would be around 25 feet long, as well as weighing 10,000 pounds.

9th: Your weight and length continue to increase. Example: A human at this point would be around 30 feet long, as well as weighing 20,000 pounds.

10th: At this, your final stage of the metamorphosis, you leave your original form completely behind in favor of that of a pure dragon. Example: A human/dragon at this point would be around 40 feet long, as well as weighing 50,000 pounds

Obly99

Hero
Ah, I'd never seen that. The only 3.x version I'd seen was the one in the athas.org Legends of Athas pdf.
I had considered starting from the one from Legends of Athas for my version since it was well done but it was too based on the rules of the Dark Sun defilers to be able to be used in a normal setting without doing a very heavy rework and I didn't like the fact that at every level you need to cast an epic spell with extremely stringent components in order to advance to the next level. I understand the lore and all but I have to make a PrC that the players can also take without going crazy.

Makes sense. The original design from 2e was before the idea of Prestige Classes, and whIle it's listed as 21st-level through 30th-level dragon (or avangion) it's not really set up like ordinary class-level advancement: one level of dragon is way more powerful than one level of a regular class but requires way more hoops (10th-level spell with extreme preparation/component requirements and risk of death each time).

Remove ads