Oshikuru, Demon Samurai. Hexblade/Samurai Fallen Aasimar

zaratan

First Post
Yes, one more hexblade optimization, but this one I would enjoy to play, cus is: Oshikuru, The Demon Samurai!
17 hexblade (warlock)/3 samurai (fighter), both from new UA stuff - Fallen Aasimar (ok, isn't a demon, but was touched by an evil patron)

Inicial Stats:
Str:16(1)
Dex:10
Con:14
Int:8 (not the sharpest knife in the drawer, hmm)
Wis:10
Cha:16(2)

Fallen Aasimar add coolness, 1x/day cure, resistance agaist necrotic and radiant, darkvision, and 1x/day necrotic shroud.

1st lvl - Fighter, get Con save and Prof with heavy armor, great weapon fighter, because in my table we play RAW, 1-2 or all dice will be rerolled. I know, this isn't RAI as Jeremy Crawford said on Twitter.
next 5 levels as hexblade until reach extra attack
pact of blade
Invocations: Agonizing blast, at lvl 4 = Curse Bringer to use with Zanbatō (greatsword), thirsting blade at lvl 6
first ASI great weapon master - work great with curse bringer, kill, change the curse, get extra hp, and do a new attack with bonus action in the new cursed.
LVL 7 and 8 as fighter, samurai. Get action surge and Fighting Spirit. I see great interaction of Fighting Spirit in that building, because you get 3 uses of short rest of something that will give you, for 1 bonus action, advantage in ALL attacks for 2 rounds, what is amazing to work around the -5 penalty of GWM and with the 19-20 chance to crit means 19% chance of crit in each attack, at least 34,39% chance crit at any of your turns, and if target die your you crit, you can use your bonus action for one new attack (ok, not in the turn you used fighting spirit because you spent your bonus action). With the crit come Curse Bringer for 4d8 damage (rerolling 1 and 2) for each lvl of spell slot. At least until the encounter end :(
PLUS, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage until the end of your next turn, that is great with Armor of Agathys, you really can grants mobs AoO just to see they take more damage than you.
After that is just keep as warlock to get the rest of benefits, and investing ASI in strength first. Some invocation ideas: Relentless Hex, life drinker at 12, Improved Pact Weapon (change by the upgrades) if I don't get other magic greatsword, repealing blast, devil's sight...
Eldritch Blast + agonizing blast make you preatty good at range too, if use agaist cursed each bolt will do 1d10 + mod + prof (maybe +1d6) crit at 19-20, and advantage of fighting spirit work with that too.
maybe Oshikuru, doesn't need prof in Con saves, lol.
i know about devil's sight + darkness combo, but I don't have spellslots for that, I already get advantage in many attacks and I don't like that combo as melee because can difficult allies actions.

Bad things:
curse limited to 1x encounter short rest, until level 17.
until level 14 you only get 2 slots short rest, this is a real problem. The great 4 lvl 5 spellslots will come only at lvl 20
bad Wis and dex ST
MAD, can't get GWM, and max Cha and Str (unless it make 16/4, but I don't need max Cha and would lose 9th spell and 4th spellslot/short rest).

Good part of bad part: Even without resources he already have greatsword with GWM, or run+eldritch blast if things get ugly.

Ideas:
worth leave warlock after level 8? for what? Probably would be bard or sorcerer to extra spellslots. Maybe in that case would worth get samurai 4 for one extra ASI.
Ideas for the others Invocations?
Could stay Cha at 16 too, and get other feat, since I will not use much ST spells, just not so good for eldrich blast and lifedrinker.

demon_samurai_armor_by_the_last_phantom-d8x6776.jpg

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Have you considered a bit more Fighter? Yes, you miss out at a 9th level spell at character level 20 IF you go that high, but it brings you a lot that you'll have for the majority of your adventuring career.

You're missing out on the ASI for fighter 4. Everyone likes ASIs. And it looks like you are trying to boost STR for your great sword (as two-handed it's not eligible for Hex Warrior) and CHR as well as taking the GWM feat.

At that point Fighter 5 gives extra attack, which means next warlock level you can train out of Thirsting Blade, giving you an extra Invocation.

And then another ASI at Fighter 6

Not saying go for Fighter 6, but each level past 3 gives you something immediately useful. Maybe pick up the ASI @ 4th early, and then after warlock 9 (5th level slots) or 11 (3 slots) think about grabbing more.

zaratan

First Post
Have you considered a bit more Fighter? Yes, you miss out at a 9th level spell at character level 20 IF you go that high, but it brings you a lot that you'll have for the majority of your adventuring career.

You're missing out on the ASI for fighter 4. Everyone likes ASIs. And it looks like you are trying to boost STR for your great sword (as two-handed it's not eligible for Hex Warrior) and CHR as well as taking the GWM feat.

At that point Fighter 5 gives extra attack, which means next warlock level you can train out of Thirsting Blade, giving you an extra Invocation.

And then another ASI at Fighter 6

Not saying go for Fighter 6, but each level past 3 gives you something immediately useful. Maybe pick up the ASI @ 4th early, and then after warlock 9 (5th level slots) or 11 (3 slots) think about grabbing more.

Yeah, this is a real option, probably after warlock 11 to get the 3 slots, probalby only will decide when the time comes.
I don't lie the idea of go fighter 5, cus for that basicly I shoud go straight as fighter until lvl 5, and than start warlock for more 3... I could get extra attack + curse bringer at lvl 6. Looking at invocations, one more wouldn't be so important.

I don't know if I will max Cha, ok, it's good for eldrich blast (second option attack) and lifelinker (+1 damage hit), but most of the time, spellslots will not go to spells, especially with Saves.

Another point, I put as point buy, but normally we roll 4 and use 3 (or use point buy with bad result), so there is a chance to need even lower ASI.

Last edited:

WarpedAcorn

First Post
I don't have any suggestions, but I really like the concept build and might have to steal your character as a villain in one of my campaigns. =)

Remove ads