• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT]2e advice

mooby

First Post
Is a Gnome Illusionist/Fighter a viable option in 2e?

It's been a long time since I played 2e, but is there any advice I could get on a character like this?

AGGEMAM

First Post
mooby said:
Is a Gnome Illusionist/Fighter a viable option in 2e?

It's been a long time since I played 2e, but is there any advice I could get on a character like this?

Depends on what you mean. If you mean, is it allowed by the rules, then the answer is yes. On the other hand I advice against multiclassing an Illusionist at all.

Remathilis

Legend
1.) Yes, a gnome can multi-class fighter and illusionist under the core 2e rules.

2.) Compared to ye-old-elven-figther/mage, its a weaker combo. Small size removes some excellent weapons, no elven chain for armor, and alot less spells to boot (no abure/invoc/necro).

If you plan on going this route, I suggest stocking up on misdirection and concealment spells (invisibility, displace self, mirror image) and get a short bow and hand-axes. You'll want mobility and range, as well as defense. A few non-evoc offensive spells (flame arrow, melf's acid arrow, burning hands) also do wonders.

Overall, the best choices for gnomes is illusionist/thief (stealth baby) or illusionist/cleric (esp of a stealthy/tricky specialy priest).

mooby

First Post
I was planning on casting Armor often, and fighting with a longsword two-handed.

Well, I'm going to be the fighter of the party. I guess it's a bad combo under this condition then, eh?

Maybe I'll just go with a ranger or fighter then.

Last edited:

buzzard

First Post
mooby said:
I was planning on casting Armor often, and fighting with a longsword two-handed.

Well, I'm going to be the fighter of the party. I guess it's a bad combo under this condition then, eh?

Maybe I'll just go with a ranger or fighter then.

It would be a suicidal combo. Go with ranger or fighter. There are lots of very easy powergaming tricks in 2nd Ed. Make sure you have the Complete Fighters Handbook (or Combat and Tactics).

buzzard

mooby

First Post
I'm not disbelieving you, but I'd just like to know why it's considered suicidal.

I was always told that in 1e and 2e, multiclassing was the way to go.

buzzard

First Post
mooby said:
I'm not disbelieving you, but I'd just like to know why it's considered suicidal.

I was always told that in 1e and 2e, multiclassing was the way to go.

In those editions multiclassing was quite powerful. However your design had two fundamental flaws- gnome and illusionist. Gnomes make lousy fighters under roughly all circumstances(as documented in another reply). Secondly, illusionists are rather nerfed in second edition(the exclusionary schools are devestating). You particularly can't rely on illusion type spells if you are front line. Illusionist/rogues are quite a viable combo.

The best muti-classing for power from 2nd was to do cleric/wizzards. These ended up being obscenely powerful since you would be generally only a level behind, but will still have access to both kinds of spells.

If you want to be a front line type person, you should probably consider fighter or ranger. This is dependent on what is allowed (books beyond PHB). Fighters, if they get all the goodies from Combat and Tactics, can become quite deadly.

buzzard

Remove ads