• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) A Game of Thrones CCG

GreyOne

Explorer
I was reading Games Unplugged.Com (From Fantasy Flight Entertainment) and it had a synopsis for the new George Martin CCG based on his Song of Fire and Ice (retyped with some license at great time and expense):

The point: In a Game of Thrones CCG, players take on the roles of the great Houses vying for the power of the Seven Kingdoms. The goal of the game is to be the first to gather 15 power to your house, thereby gaining control of the iron throne and all of Westeros. Players customize their decks to take advantage of each House's particular strengths and to crush their opponents where they are weakest.

In addition to the customized game deck of characters, events, and locations common to CCGs, players also customize a Plot deck. The Plot cards represent different strategies that players may employ to take best advantage of their current position in the game. The Plot card controls the player's initiative and income, and have special abilities that influence the game. Before each turn, the Plot cards are revealed, initiative is determined and Plot effects take place. Some plot cards have immediate effects, such as "Filthy Accusations," which disables a characters for a turn. Others have effects that last for the entire turn, like "Holding the Trident,", which improves the defensive abilities of characters.

Later comes the Challenge phase where the Game of Thrones is truly determined. You "kneel" your cards make one each of three types of challenges: Military, Intrigue or Power. Military kills opponents' characters. Power challenges steal power and place it on the winner's House; Intrigue challenges discard cards from opponents' hands.

There's to be expansions, though as of yet, I haven't even seen the game out. Has it been officially released? I can't tell from the official site: http://www.agameofthrones.com/

In any case, the mechanics seem interesting, the cards are cool looking and the setting is amazingly detailed. I'll probably get this when it pops up around here.

Anyone played it? It was premiered at Gen Con. Opinions?

roytheodd

First Post
The game is out. The first expansion (A Sea of Storms) is due out in November. I don't know much else about the game, other than it's selling okay for a new ccg in a rough market.

Remove ads