[OT]Boycott Disney!

ced1106

Explorer
You watch cable??? :)

I refuse to **pay** the one-eyed stranger for corrupting my family (viz. NEVER let the parents watch CNN!). I've also stopped going to Disneyland ever since they opened Disney Crappyforya. I think I've seen less than a handful of Touchstone movies.

Still gonna watch Spirited Away a third time. (;

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^

LoneWolf23

First Post
Now, before we do anything rash, are we sure this is a collective decision by all of Disney, and not just an isolated Executive decision?

Personally, I haven't seen that episode, but if it's as bad as it sounds, I'll consider it an exceptional mistake on Disney's part.

...Especially since they've made so many other shows and movies that I consider quite Gameable: Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers (I like the setting, and I own GOO's "Big Ears, Small Mouse"), Tailspin (Groovy Planes), Disney's Aladdin (Closest thing to a D&D setting on TV yet), Disney's Atlantis, The Emperor's New Groove (funniest thing made by Disney yet), Kim Possible, and more settings that come to mind right now.

...So as far as this Lizzie McGuire thing is concerned, I'll consider it a simple mistake made by Disney, and one they better make up for...

Creamsteak

Explorer
(My last rant was deleted, I hope this one has no problems)

Eh... Disney and some station called Nogin disturb me. They are always saying, "express yourself" and "be original!" But the programming they show is truely low-tier. They contradict those principals so horribly, and I don't think they realize it.

I am always forced into hearing that same programming while I'm on the computer typing. I'm sick of hearing the television make fun of what I do while I'm doing it. You can't tell the TV it's full of :):):):). It won't listen... so I'm forced to hear it...

It makes me rather sick to the stomach that they actually have television shows that promote segregation based on clothing, income, and hobbies... Then, they say, "kill racism, stop prejudice, and accept religions..."

The worst situation is when they have this show called, "a walk in your shoes." They take one traditional generic popular kid (athelete, cheerleader, etc.) and one kid with an actual disability (being overweight, blind, deaf) and make them spend time together...

The actual kids involved DO learn something... but the people watching just see how HORRIBLE it is to be overweight, blind, or deaf. If the viewer could experience what is happening it would be one thing... but that's a total disturbance to me.

That, and I'm crazy. End Rant.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Greatwyrm said:
For example, Disney did (and I believe still does) own Zomba Records. That's the label that records the Insane Clown Posse. That's right, you're kids get a DVD of Aladdin from one hand and a CD of murder and other anti-social behaviors from the other.
Sigh. Disney is a MASSIVE corporation that owns stuff all over the world and frankly, I'm glad that I live in a world where pencil-necked stockbrokers can pursue their dreams of avarice while simultaneously supporting the subversive efforts of misunderstood artists. It amuses me.
I think they also own the Mirimar movie company. That's where any less than squeaky clean script gets sent.
That would be Miramax. The company that brought us The Others, Good Will Hunting, Shakespeare In Love, Mansfield Park, The English Patient and Cry, The Beloved Country. Yes indeed, the home of anything less than squeaky clean.

I think it's wonderful that we live in a world where a single concentration of shareholder's capital goes toward generating artworks for such a broad span of the world's population. Some people hate some of it, of course, and that's as it should be. Artists aren't all doing their jobs if none of them are offending anyone.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
DocMoriartty said:
If you have an IQ above 10 your intelligence is so insulted by programming on Disney that your not watching it anyways. So I really doubt you are going to find many Disney watchers here at ENWorld.

yeah, disney channel original shows pretty much suck the bottom of the barrel.

AuroraGyps

First Post
I remember a conversation about this too. In fact, as I recall, someone later in the thread posted that it was actually pro-D&D when at the end of the episode the missing "cool kid" is revealed to be one of the gamers who decided that he liked it better gaming that playing sports. Do I misrecall?

Right memory, wrong show.;) I think you're talking about Recess, a cartoon show that's produced by Disney. One of the main characters breaks his arm and has to stay in for recess. He becomes friends with a group of gamer guys (who are represented as nerdish) and has a great time. There's a bit more to the story, but I won't spoil it. It's a pretty good episode and a a good show too.

Squire James

First Post
Much ado over not much. Lawyers get more mud slung at them in a week than gamers do in a year. Most of them don't deserve it... the ones that do are all on TV of course!

I've noticed that Magic the Gathering (and its popular younger sibling, Pokemon) DOES sometimes attract people of a larcenous bent. As a person who had $500 (or more) worth of cards stolen from me, including a Mox Sapphire worth over $300 by itself, perhaps I'm a bit biased on the matter.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This particular episode first aired on November 16, 2001. Because the show is played every day, but only has a new episode every week (and has summers off), there are a lot of repeats of this show. That means this particular episode airs often enough that a meaningful number of emails might cause it to be replayed fewer times.

Episode summary:

"Lizzie McGuire
Gordo and the Magic Dwarves
30 min.
Lizzie and Miranda stage an intervention for Gordo when he becomes addicted to a new board game called “Dwarflord”; Sam and Edward are obsessed with Matt's nature project for school."

Mind you, the summary says "board game". Perhaps that is just a simplified way of saying Role Playing Game.

Here is the email for this show:

http://www.disney.go.com/disneychannel/lizziemcguire/site/lizzie/email.html

Here is the email I sent them. Feel free to rip it off as much, or as little, as you wish:

"Dear Lizzie,

On October 15 at 7:30 I watched your show titled "Gordo and the Magic Dwarves", which is apparently a rerun episode. I found this particular episode to be extremely offensive. It appeared to be a thinly veiled imination of the popular role playing game, Dungeons and Dragons. I am very fond of that game, and feel that you grossly misrepresented the game in your episode.

You falsely portrayed the game as both an anti-social and habitual activity. Nothing could be further from the truth. Indeed, in an era where kids are prone to playing meaningless video games against an inhuman computer player, I would think you would want to promote one that requires reading, imagination, and social interaction, such as Dungeons & Dragons.

I am very disappointed that you continue to play such a false and misleading episode, and would hope that you discontinue future reruns of this episode.

Sincerely,

[Name]"

JPL

Adventurer
See Mistwell, if we got that RPG Defense Fund going, we could back that up with implicit or actual threat of legal action.

I'm thinking a class action lawsuit, negligent infliction of emotional distress.

When we settle it out of court --- new dice for everyone!

And then we go after Tom Hanks for "Mazes and Monsters." Damn you, Tom Hanks!

Remove ads