[OT] Do you subscribe to any conspiracy theories?

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Personally I don't really go for any of the conspiracy theories out there. While they are entertaining (they make great TV, books and games), but I just don't think people are good enough about keeping their mouths shut.

EricNoah

Adventurer
bwgwl said:

we are so good at seeing patterns, that we often anticipate patterns, perhaps even when there's nothing really there. that's how i think most conspiracy theories get started. we encounter a bunch of unrelated facts, and unconsciously "see" a pattern behind it all when there may not really be anything going on at all.

Have you read anything by Umberto Eco? 'cause it sounds to me like you have. :)

Andor

First Post
I'd like to believe in conspiracys theories, just because it would be nice to think that somewhere there was a large organization that was universally competant enough to keep it's existance hidden. :D

My favorite twist on the conspiracy theories from a few years back was the one that ran "Crack UN troops prepared to invade US - As soon as the Bosnian serbs release them."

-Andor

Dr Midnight

Explorer
bwgwl said:
actually, i have a hard time believing in most conspiracy theories, but i find them fascinating all the same.

That's my take. I love hearing and reading about them because they make for fantastic entertainment. One time I sat and listened to a guy go off on the shriners and how they're just one lower level group of the Illuminati. If you ask one about joining, they look your name up and keep track of you, they own the world, blah blah... I love hearing about it more than most movies.

SteelDraco

First Post
Do I think there are things the government isn't telling us? Sure I do. I'm not entirely sure how you could believe that they're completely and totally forthright with us, honestly. We live in a bloody scary world, and they know that. I'm sure that nearly all world governments have some resources devoted to things like wetwork, keeping tabs on the population, and some interests that would be considered criminal if they were publicly known. If I was going to run a government, I certainly would.

Do I have a problem with that? Of course. I find such things to be morally repugnant. However, I also realize that they're probably necessary. This isn't a black-and-white world; anyone who acted like a paladin just wouldn't survive.

I also tend to think that there are scientific things that the government doesn't tell us about. Things like what they know about UFOs, the results of government research into psychics, that sort of thing. Such things would be classified, and for good reason - they're matters of national security.

Walter_J

First Post
Vuron said:
I think there is a conspiracy of moderators and old-timers to this board and that they gather in a secret location and make fun of the majority of the posters on the board.

Who told y..... [cough] Of course not. We are all friends here. Please continue. I find you all very entertaining subjects. I mean, this subject very entertaining. Yes, that's it.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I agree about "crackpot theories" being entertaining. Here's a piece from Encyclopedia Britannica for discussion:

Freemasonry

the teachings and practices of the secret fraternal order of Free and Accepted Masons, the largest worldwide secret society. Spread by the advance of the British Empire, Freemasonry remains most popular in the British Isles and in other countries originally within the empire.

Freemasonry evolved from the guilds of stonemasons and cathedral builders of the Middle Ages. With the decline of cathedral building, some lodges of operative (working) masons began to accept honorary members to bolster their declining membership. From a few of these lodges developed modern symbolic or speculative Freemasonry, which particularly in the 17th and 18th centuries, adopted the rites and trappings of ancient religious orders and of chivalric brotherhoods. In 1717 the first Grand Lodge, an association of lodges, was founded in England.

Freemasonry has, almost from its inception, encountered considerable opposition from organized religion, especially from the Roman Catholic Church, and from various states.

Though often mistaken for such, Freemasonry is not a Christian institution. Freemasonry contains many of the elements of a religion; its teachings enjoin morality, charity, and obedience to the law of the land. For admission the applicant is required to be an adult male believing in the existence of a Supreme Being and in the immortality of the soul. In practice, some lodges have been charged with prejudice against Jews, Catholics, and nonwhites. Generally, Freemasonry in Latin countries has attracted freethinkers and anticlericals, whereas in the Anglo-Saxon countries, the membership is drawn largely from among white Protestants.

In most lodges in most countries, Freemasons are divided into three major degrees—entered apprentice, fellow of the craft, and master mason. In many lodges there are numerous degrees—sometimes as many as a thousand—superimposed on the three major divisions; these organizational features are not uniform from country to country.

In addition to the main body of Freemasonry derived from the British tradition, there are now a number of appendant groups that are primarily social or fun organizations, which have no official standing in Freemasonry but which draw their membership from the higher degrees of Freemasonry. They are especially prevalent in the United States. Among those known for their charitable work are the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (the “Shriners”). Female relatives of Master Masons may join the Order of the Eastern Star; boys, the Order of DeMolay and the Order of Builders; and girls, the Order of Job's Daughters and the Order of Rainbow. English Masons are forbidden to affiliate with any of the fun organizations or quasi-Masonic societies, on pain of suspension.

Remove ads