• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Do you subscribe to any conspiracy theories?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
SteelDraco said:
Do I think there are things the government isn't telling us? Sure I do.
It's called classified material and there's a LOT of it.

But most of it is utterly mundane stuff like where a given general's daughter is going on her date that night... or the flight schedule of assorted government planes, and so on.

Mostly mundane stuff that stays classified way too long after it's become useless information.

Cyragnome

First Post
Nothing to see here, move on, move on

I'll get the last laugh yet! :)

Best of Luck --Cyragnome

Last edited by Vuron on 04-11-2002 at 08:51 PM

Last edited by Cyragnome on 04-11-2002 at 08:57 PM

Last edited by Vuron on 04-11-2002 at 08:58 PM

Last edited:

CrazyMage

4th Level Lawful Good Cleric
This whole board is a fake--one gigantic Turing test for which I am the alpha guinea pig.

Or maybe it's all real after all.

I will have to second Lars Frehse and Eric Noah on the recommendation of Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. The TRUE power of conspiracies...;)

DonAdam

Explorer
Conspiracy theories?

Absolutely.

It's called the ECL list in Dragon magazine. Obviously a conspiracy to keep anybody from playing an exotic race, ever.

As far as government conspiracies go: classified information is good. It keeps things like Pearl Harbor from happening again.

However, I do have to admit that the Supreme Court said absolutely nothing about those ridiculous ECL's.

Has Wizards bought out the Supreme Court????

The Allamistako

First Post
Pielorinho said:

Doubt I'll be the first to point this out, but Latin is only betraying you by poking its nose in where it doesn't belong.

Phila- is a Greek root meaning "love", as in philosophy, philodendron, and philanderer.

Delphia is a Greek word meaning (I believe) Brother. I can't think of any similar words in English.

Philadelphia, therefore, is the city of brotherly love. Were it Latin, it wouldn't be spelled with a "ph."

Daniel

*Snipshot* I've checked this with my sorces. Delphia or Delphi is also the location of the most porerful oracle in the ancient world, which makes it the PERFECT choice for naming a lodge - has happened before. Phila IS Greek, but also appears as a corruption of "Filias" in laterday latin.

All in all, however, BOTH translations support the theory of this... friend of mine. Or not?:D

-Alla

bwgwl

First Post
EricNoah said:

Have you read anything by Umberto Eco? 'cause it sounds to me like you have. :)

yes, "Foucault's Pendulum" was my main introduction into the world of conspiracy theories. that and the "Principia Discordia."

I don`t believe in conspiracies (at least not the "greater ones" - that corparations "buy" some political decisions I can believe...).

If the goverments are so powerful and intelligent to be able to hold such important and fascaniting things in secret as some people claim, then why do they so many mistakes in other things? (Bad Tax-Systems, bad social and economy development and political organizations that use mechanics that no one can - including the politicians themselves - seem to really understand as a whole?)

Mustrum Ridcully

Jezrael

First Post
Well the F-117 (Stealth Fighter), was built in the late 70's yet everyone thought it was shiny new in the Gulf War, only later did the gub'mint admit that it had been built and used earlier.

Rackhir

Explorer
Well the F-117 (Stealth Fighter), was built in the late 70's yet everyone thought it was shiny new in the Gulf War, only later did the gub'mint admit that it had been built and used earlier.

Well this is an example of keeping a secret, not a conspiracy. The two are not identical. Also the Stealth fighter wasn't built until the early 80's though the design work started and the Have Blue prototype was built in the late seventies. It was also publically used in the attack on Panama to remove Manuel Noriega, in the late 80's. It's existance was well known even before that, though details were little other than speculation.

Still, it is held up as one of the few examples of the US sucessfully keeping a secret over an extended period of time. Of course it is also arguable that the real secret was that it worked, but nobody would really know that until it got put to the test under combat conditions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads