• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Do you subscribe to any conspiracy theories?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Thanks for the clarification, Wicht! I knew it meant something like that, but I don't really know much about Greek. It's all, um, something incomprehensible to me.

At any rate, the "Sons of Delphi" theory sounded pretty far-fetched. Cool, but far-fetched.

Daniel

Quickbeam

Explorer
Pielorinho:

Thanks for steering us back on course :) . IMC, most of the conspiracies are based on fictional situations and storylines. But every so often, truth is indeed stranger and more compatible to D&D than fiction.

kenjib

First Post
I think that the black water off the coast of Florida is an exhaust vent (molecularly reduced wreckage from decades of destroyed ships) for the space-time hiccup created in the Bermuda Triangle by Rosicrucians, who are the guardians of Lost Atlantis. The dissappearance of ships over the years is caused to eliminate ships that stumble upon something which they shouldn't have. Roswell, Area 52, and the Philadelphia Experiment, are all tests for the Rosicrucians, who operate with slush funding from the U.S. government. Elected officials, including the President, of course don't know anything about this, just all of the advisors who have been running things behind the scenes for centuries. They orchestrated the French and American revolutions to create puppet governments from which to operate, in the process ressurecting archaic forms of government dating back to the era of Atlantean dominance.

Errr....nevermind. Scratch all of that.

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Thanks for the clarification, Wicht! I knew it meant something like that, but I don't really know much about Greek. It's all, um, something incomprehensible to me.

At any rate, the "Sons of Delphi" theory sounded pretty far-fetched. Cool, but far-fetched.

Just because the Greek definition doesn't match the Latin one, it doesn't totally throw this theory out the window. Secret societies like the Freemasons often have multiple levels of meaning in everything they do... while the city of Philadelphia may have been named after the Egyptian city, that doesn't mean the Sons of Delphi *didn't* choose to sign there. The two facts are not mutually exclusive, and in fact, are quite likely.

Doc (who has way too many skill points put into Knowledge:conspiracies)

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Dr. Confoundo said:

Just because the Greek definition doesn't match the Latin one, it doesn't totally throw this theory out the window.

It's true. But puns do not evidence make.

Just because "Philadelphia" (a name of an ancient city) sounds vaguely similar to "Filiidelphae" (a potential name for a rockin' secret society) doesn't mean much.

Show me that the people who named Philadelphia were involved in a secret society. Show me that they were interested in oracular visions. Show me some sort of evidence beyond a pun.

Of course, we all know that Raleigh, North Carolina wasn't really named after Sir Walter Raleigh; the Cthulhu cultists who controlled the city named it after Ry'leh. But that's neither here nor there :D.

Daniel

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
Pielorinho said:

Show me that the people who named Philadelphia were involved in a secret society. Show me that they were interested in oracular visions. Show me some sort of evidence beyond a pun.

You misunderstand: The people who named it "Philadelphia" could have been completely different people from the secret society. I'm not saying that the Masons named it.

However, the secret society could have specifically chosen to perform their ritual creation of a new nation in a city whose name echoed their own. Some practioners of Magic would see this as a way to make the new country theirs, and be able to have extra influence over it. Secret societies eat this kind of ritual stuff up with a big spoon.

Doc (Who remembers a whole run of The Spectre comic from five years ago dealing with this exact topic)

Lizard

Explorer
QUOTE]Originally posted by Quickbeam

3) The cost increased initial cost of producing such cars would either:
a. need to be passed on to the comsumers, who would then buy fewer vehicles because fewer folks could afford 'em.
OR
b. be partially absorbed by the automakers themselves (fat chance), thus lowering their profit margins and causing their stock value to decline.
[/QUOTE]

So, you're saying automakers would pass up a chance to sell EVERYONE IN AMERICA A NEW CAR?????

Are you MAD????

It's very simple. Once the MiracleCar TM is made, the automakers begin channeling money to Greenpeace and other eco groups, giving them lobbying power like they've never had before. They convince the government to mandate a changeover to the MiracleCar in a ridiculously short timeframe -- five years, say. This is plenty of time for Detroit to retool. Ban all "evil, polluting, gas burning cars". Mandate a teeny-tiny rebate to car owners for the switchover, but make sure anyone who complains is painted as a hideous raper of Mother Earth.

Besides, how would such a 'conspiracy' work? If such technology exists, and the creator couldn't sell it, he could just POST THE PLANS TO USENET. There would be a million copies of the plans in a matter of hours. Nothing could kill them.

Further further, what about the rest of the world? Even if you couldn't see your invention in America, what about China? A billion customers, most of whom don't have cars, in large part due to the lack of a fuel infrastructure.

And saying "I don't believe it's not possible" doesn't make it so, or not so, as the case may be. There's a lot of real physics involved in why we use gasoline. Alcohol simply doesn't contain enough energy per gallon -- that's why farmers who grow grain to make fuel alcohol need to use gas-powered equipment to do it. If they relied on their own fuel, they couldn't grow enough.

Think I'm wrong? Then draw up the plans, build the prototype, and prove it. Saying that you "Believe" an invention is possible is meaningless. Belief means diddly.

Simon Magalis

First Post
Quickbeam said:

Two of our last three Presidents have come from a state whose economic well-being is largely reliant on the oill industry.

LOL They are from the same state and... OH YEAH, they are father and son, so its probably an exception to the rule.

Green Knight

First Post
Quickbeam said:
P.S. one last item of note in my little diatribe ;). Two of our last three Presidents have come from a state whose economic well-being is largely reliant on the oil industry.

Since when is the economy of Massachusetts reliant on the oil industry? Because that's where George Bush Sr. is from, not Texas. Suffice to say, when you don't even know THAT much it makes it very hard for me to put much stock in your opinion.

Anyway, back on topic, I used to be really interested in books dealing with a supposed 1,000 year conspiracy by an organization called "The Prieure De Sion" (The Priory of Sion). Part of their deal is that they helped create the Knights Templar. The main thing, though, was that Jesus Christ had had children with Mary Magdalene, who was his wife, and the Prieure De Sion have been protecting hid descendants ever since, working to the day when they can be returned to the throne.

Anyway, I don't believe it, though I'm not averse to the possibility that Jesus may have had kids who have had kids who continue on to this day. But a 1,000 year old secret society? Nah.

I also like the whole Nibiru/Ananaki conspiracy. Interesting reading, though goofy as hell. I like it if for no other reason then I like the thought of another planet in our solar system being discovered. Not only that, but which has a really eccentric orbit. It's total bull, though.

- Green Knight
wing.jpg

Last edited:

Simon Magalis

First Post
It wasn't my post, but in all fairness when Bush Sr. was put on the ticket with Reagan in '79 he was introduced as being from Texas. I'm not sure where he was born, but he owned an oil company in Texas and raised his entire family in Texas for over 20 years. I believe he lives in Maine now. Please don't take this as a challenge because I don't want you to behead me, although I know you just want to see if I am honorable enough to show up, right?

Remove ads