• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Favorite Band?

eXodus

Explorer
LcKedovan said:

And the sooner that happens, the sooner I might start listening to NIN again. When they hit the "mainstream" it was effin downhill from there.

-Will

nine inch nails did not hit the mainstream. the mainstream came to them. the downward spiral had appeal to the masses. and that has nothing at all to do with the artist trying to appease these masses. that does not deflate the worth of the music. the music is still outstanding. to say you will only listen to nin if it is not 'mainstream' is one of the most pretentious things i have heard in a while. sadly it is something i hear far too often from my 'industrial' friends and cohorts.

listen to something because you like it. not because everyone else does, or doesn't.

listen the fragile. 23 tracks of great music. it goes farther then anything reznor has previously done. i really think that it will go down as one of the finest albums ever.

Impeesa

Explorer
Mike Oldfield. The man is amazingly multitalented, and plays a wicked guitar.

Also some Peter Gabriel, Mudmen, Queen... I have pretty broad tastes, though.. I also like a lot of game stuff (Uematsu, Mitsuda, the non-techno stuff from Overclocked Remix...) plus stuff like the Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus soundtracks (go Kanno Yoko). :D

--Impeesa--

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
IRON MAIDEN

Favorite: Iron Maiden

In general, classical, blues, classic rock and what I refer to as classic metal, progessive metal, and power metal, such as Judas Priest, Accept, Saxon, Manowar, Queensryche, Savatage, Dreamtheater, Fates Warning, Iced Earth, Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Steel Prophet, Iron Savior, Jag Panzer, ect...

Quixon

First Post
Ok-I just went thru most these 4 pages of posts and if i missed anybody else listing these bands then oh well...

I can't believe all these bands and nobody else listens to my favorites.....

Rhapsody
Hammerfall
Gamma Ray

ALL great medieval music-GREAT for mood music as well while playing-especially Rhapsody

Other already mentioned...

Iron Maiden
Old Metallica (pre Black album-sorry haven't cared for their music much since Justice for All)
Manowar
Scorpions(again Old Scorps-pre Savage Amusement album)

cousin_avi

First Post
Favorite band, Dimmu Borgir, a black metal group from Norway, and a bonus is that during really hectic battles, I can use them during a game

Last edited:

Dr Midnight

Explorer
ValamirCleaver, Quixon-

Gamma Ray. Arguable rhetoric: Is Kai Hansen not the most prolific and genius-stricken frontman you've ever heard? If I could somehow work it biologically so that I could carry his children, I'd gladly do it. Gamma Ray and Kai's Helloween stuff just takes me to above the clouds, where I do battle with Thor.

My favorite Gamma Ray song right now is Dethrone Tyranny. Freakin' fantastic stuff. No better music to take a long walk to.

I have yet to find any Saxon, Steel Prophet, Jag Panzer, etc... but I'm kinda enjoying how there's still new stuff for me to discover out there. I'd hate to think I've heard all the good progressive melodic power metal there is to hear (just yet). I'm in America, where fans of this stuff are pretty far between and closeted, while the Disturbed and Staind fans roam free and unmolested. It's criminal. :D

Dahak

Explorer
Impeesa said:
Mike Oldfield. The man is amazingly multitalented, and plays a wicked guitar.

This is something that is usually underestimated about Mike Oldfield. He really was a flash progressive rock guitar player (the equal or better of Alex Lifeson, Andy Latimer, Steve Hackett, etc), and most people aware of him assume he's just another keyboardy new age guy like Yanni. It dosn't help that the so called Mike Oldfield Single (i.e. the part of Tubular Bells used in the exorcist) is the most familiar piece of his work.

Telor

First Post
Current Bands: Tool, Bad Religion, Placebo, The Cranberries

Past Bands: Led Zep, Jimi, Jefferson Airplane, CCR, The Beatles, Bob Marley

I was actually surprised by the amount of Tool and Bad Religion responses. In my opinion those two bands are near the top of the Most Underrated list.

None of these bands get any airplay at my gaming sessions though... Dead Can Dance is amazing for gaming nights.

-Telor

Remove ads