• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT]Favorite Magic cards?

Xarlen

First Post
Mirri, Cat warrior. Meeeeoowwww. ;)

It depends on the deck I was playing. I have a few cards, a beautiful deck a bud gave that's got some AWESOME cards in there. An angel that, if you block a creature and kill it, it comes in on your side. Baron Segnir.

One of my favorite combat spells, however, is Corrupt. It was my baby in the Drain Deck I played. Get about twelve swamps out, play a few small spells... BOOM!

Oogar

First Post
Balance, Balance, Balance and Balance. After that there are scads I love. Mind Twist is an evil thing, but not as evil as Balance. Wrath of God is Good, but not as good as Balance. Armageddon is spiffy, but not as spiffy as Balance.

Other things that are not even compared to Balance? Mind Over Matter, Anything that lets you draw cards, Cards with Tricks. Tradewind Riders, Zuran Orb, Morph is Nifty, Buyback is great.

Oh, and XVIII. The Moon

Eternalknight

First Post
Necropotence, Lightning Bolt, Hymn to Tourach, Phyrexian Scuta ('coz I won a tournament with it :D).... there are really too many to list. My favourite decks are necro and sligh, so anything that aids those two decks is in my list of favourites.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Counterspell, Remove Soul, Clone, Mahomotti Djinn, Mesa Pegasus, Air Elemental, Sol Ring, Swords to Plowshares, Combat Medic.

What can I say, I'm a white/blue flying beatdown control deck kinda guy. (And that combo won me third place in the local card shop tourney I entered :)

Omega Lord

First Post
My favorite cards? A deck of many things of course :D . Ahh the old addiction of magic. Ive been clean for a few years now with only a couple of small setbacks. (dear lord, what would life be like without sarcasm?)

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Thunder Spirit, Pheldagriff, Serra Angel, Nebuchanezzar (sp?), Soltari Foot Soldier.

Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolt, Overrun, Congregate.

Black Lotus, Shield Wall, Millstone, Serrated Arrows.

(Can you tell I haven't bought as many cards in the past two years or so?)

Your old cards are only disallowed in official tournaments. Nothing prevents you from using all the good stuff while playing with friends. Yeah, it's a money sink, but then again, so's d20. So's Everquest. So are golf, tennis, cars, stamps, books, barhopping... you get my point. Choose your preferred poison, and just hope, for the sake of your bank account, you don't have several enthusiasms at once. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
As someone mentioned, the en-Kor creatures would make one heck of a D&D humanoid race.

A race of creatures that can transfer life-threatening wounds to another of their number better able to deal with it? :)

How about the Various "Lord" creatures? Any time their minions are within a certain range of their master, the minion gains several supernatural powers!

Also, for higher-level challenges, how about undead (such as magic the gathering's Barrow Ghoul) that ALWAYS come back to life, no matter what you do? Fire, acid, flame strike, etc. - it keeps coming back, and the only way to dispose of it is to either DISINTEGRATE it, or to shunt it to another plane to get rid of it! (Your players would make "Terminator" jokes for the rest fo the session - but only AFTER it was gone!)

There are tons (literally) of creature ideas to be gleaned from magic cards.

Oh, and BTW - I still play - I just don't buy more cards. Some friends of mine and I play a loose "Type I" tournament type amongst ourselves, and don't worry about what's banned and what's not - you know, the way Richard Garfield envisioned people playing this game 9 years ago? :D

Remove ads