[ot] Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings extended edition

Welverin

First Post
Felon said:
I came straight to Blockbuster on the way home and grabbed it right off the shelf. Thing is, I didn't bother to check and see if there's a widescreen version. As soon as I saw it coming up in fullscreen, I stopped it and popped it out of the DVD player.

Can someone confirm if there is a widescreen DVD version (I know there's one for VHS)? WS is the only way to go, IMO.

It could just be a blockbuster thing. I recall someone around these parts saying they demanded that movie studios start providing them with fullscreen versions of movies because "that's what their customers wanted."

Volaran

First Post
Did you let it get past the logos?

Everything before the second New Line Logo was fullscreen for me, then it switched.

Welverin

First Post
Is the movie pass supposed to be in the box or is the store supposed to give it to separately? I can't find mine any where.

Droogie

Explorer
Personally, I think the extended version plodded a bit. All the character juicy bits were greatly appreciated, but there was an added scene or diologue here and there that prolly could have remained on the cutting room floor. At the same time, there were a few lines or scenes that made me think "how and why did they cut this??!?"

Its really a cut for the Tolkien fans. Casual film enthusiasts could get by without it and stick with the theatrical version.

I'd like to write more, but its late and I gotta work tommorrow:( . Until tomorrow evening...keep the thread warm, folks!;)

Welverin

First Post
hmm, interesting

Mean Eyed Cat said:
Well I got the movie pass in the box,:

Was it just floating around loose or hiding in something else? I'm assuming it's at least in the extended case and not the main collector set box.

but no trading cards. Whats going on :confused:

So they weren't in the plastic thingy with the mini fan club magazine?

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Yeah the movie pass was just floating around behind the bookends with the magazine. No plastic thingy. I have been thinking about taking it back, but my son has a whole bunch of the trading cards, so its not a big deal.

Welverin

First Post
Mean Eyed Cat said:
Yeah the movie pass was just floating around behind the bookends with the magazine. No plastic thingy. I have been thinking about taking it back, but my son has a whole bunch of the trading cards, so its not a big deal.

I'm thinking they might be different versions. I went to the mall during my break and there are some versions that have a sticker saying there is a movie pass inside and some that don't and I know the one I got didn't have one.

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
I'm thinking they might be different versions. I went to the mall during my break and there are some versions that have a sticker saying there is a movie pass inside and some that don't and I know the one I got didn't have one.

Right, right. Which explains why my box had a sticker for a free movie pass on the front but the pass wasn't listed on the back with all the other goodies. It sounds like they ran out of cards and decided to put the movie pass in to make up for this. Anybody else purchase the Collector's dvd gift set and have this happen?

Last edited:

John Crichton

First Post
I preordered mine from Amazon.com many moons ago. Got it Tuesday. I just checked the box again and found both the movie pass and the cards (I care not for either, really). When I first got it I just ripped the thing open to get to the bookends (very cool!) and the 5 DVD's.

I may head over to my local Best Buy just to pick this thing up again for $45 and tuck it away somewhere as a keep-sake. I have a feeling I'm going to wear out the DVD's and even the bookends (I change what's on my shelves frequently). :)

Remove ads