[OT] LotR wins 5 BAFTA's

Zander

Explorer
Last night, the LotR: FotR movie won 5 BAFTA's (the British equivalent of the Oscars):

• Best Film
  • Best Director
  • Best Film as voted for by the general public
  • Best FX
  • Best hair & makeup

I reckon this augurs well for this year's Oscars.

What do you think?

Hi Zander mate! :)

I watched it last night, I thought Peter Jackson was close to tears when he went up for the Best Director award.

I hope it does really well at the Oscars, though I am not sure it will be successful with all 13 nominations, that is perhaps asking a bit too much.

I am curious what sort of effect this will have on subsequent installments. If LotR: FotR does really well and Two Towers is just as good will it be ignored by next years awards on the grounds of being 'more of the same' I wonder?

Upper_Krust said:
Hi Zander mate! :)

I watched it last night, I thought Peter Jackson was close to tears when he went up for the Best Director award.

I hope it does really well at the Oscars, though I am not sure it will be successful with all 13 nominations, that is perhaps asking a bit too much.

I am curious what sort of effect this will have on subsequent installments. If LotR: FotR does really well and Two Towers is just as good will it be ignored by next years awards on the grounds of being 'more of the same' I wonder?

How many sequels are as good as the original? Not many. However, there is precedence - The Godfather won "Best Picture" and so did The Godfather, Part II. But that's the only sequel. Of course, this speculation is a bit premature, since Lotr:Fotr hasn't won yet. :D

They just moved the BAFTA awards to precede the Oscars last year, so it will be interesting to see if the BAFTAs become good predictors of the Oscars.

Zappo

Explorer
Really, calling TT a "sequel" would be quite stretching the definition. Actually, I think it would be plainly wrong. I hope the movie racks up as many Oscars as possible!

Zappo said:
Really, calling TT a "sequel" would be quite stretching the definition. Actually, I think it would be plainly wrong. I hope the movie racks up as many Oscars as possible!

It's the second movie in a series of movies. By Hollywood standards, it will be considered a sequel. New Line has never said they are making one movie; they have always maintained they are making three movies.

From http://www.dictionary.com :

se·quel
n.
1. Something that follows; a continuation.
2. A literary, dramatic, or cinematic work whose narrative continues that of a preexisting work.
3. A result or consequence. See Synonyms at effect.

Since the first two definitions both apply, I'd call "The Two Towers" a sequel to "The Fellowship of the Ring."

Eternalknight

First Post
I would be interested to know how Star Wars was recieved when it first came out. Both it and LotR are trilogys; is it fair to compare the two?

Black Omega

First Post
Eternalknight said:
I would be interested to know how Star Wars was recieved when it first came out. Both it and LotR are trilogys; is it fair to compare the two?
Not really. LotR was all filmed at the same time, it's basically a big long movie released in three parts, much like the Salkind three/Four Musketeers (though that wasn't planned to be two movies..:)

Star Wars was a "We'll release it and see how it does." without any concrete "And there will be a sequal to this."

Remove ads