• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Major Power Outages in NE USA and Canada

isoChron

First Post
Seems a bit strange to me that one of the most developed countries in the world suffers under major power loss every decade.
What's going on over there in the new world :confused: ?

BYE

Cedric

First Post
I thought it was both funny and sad when one of the local dj's was lamenting the sorrows of those poor, poor people in the northeast. And then she goes on to cite why she is lamenting them...

They don't have T.V., Radio, Cell Phones or Internet. They don't have anything to do...they all must be so bored.

If people can really worry about how bored the people affected by the power outage are...then I don't think we have that much too worry about as an Industrialized nation...

Cedric

JeffB

Legend
We were bored! :)

The big problem was no AC. We've had a mild summer, yet yestrday was one of the hottest days we have had this summer, and it was humid as all get-out at least in my area of NY (upper westchester County)

Last night was like sleeping in a jungle.

Power came on about 4AM EST.

Re: This bited :)

Oaken25 said:
I just got my power back here in Rochester, (3:30AM). I was one of the last around my county to get it. The power grid here in NY, etc were not supposed to do this any more after the 1 that happened in the 70's or at least that is what every one is claiming.
I'm not feeling the sympathy; we just got ours back 15 minutes ago. Supposedly I'm trying to find out if there's any power at work this morning or not! ;) Nobody answered the phone, anyway.

My wife and I speculate (re: boredom) that there's going to be a major baby boom in nine months. ;)

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
isoChron said:
Seems a bit strange to me that one of the most developed countries in the world suffers under major power loss every decade.

BYE

There are many reasons, from an increasingly heavy dependence on electricity to financial reasons. There is no one answer to the question. I look at it as being akin to the way a kid rapidly outgrows clothes; the power grid is outgrown by the needs placed upon it.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Re: Re: This bited :)

Joshua Dyal said:

I'm not feeling the sympathy; we just got ours back 15 minutes ago. Supposedly I'm trying to find out if there's any power at work this morning or not! ;) Nobody answered the phone, anyway.

My wife and I speculate (re: boredom) that there's going to be a major baby boom in nine months. ;)

Not with 92 degree heat, there won't be. ;)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
isoChron said:

BYE

Nobody can lose major power like us in the good old USA! Of course, that's primarily because so few have major power like us... ;)

Might also have something to do with system upgrade negligence... :p

Larcen

Explorer
One of the things that really continues to impress me is the total calm and relaxed attitude I keep hearing about and seeing on the news.

Do you know how irritable and short-tempered you get when you are HOT and humid? Well, imagine all those New Yorkers stuck in small, cramped, crowded, hot, humid, subway cars with no power and no clue as to was going on for HOURS.... and yet there were no riots or looting or mass hysteria. Truly impressive. This country should be very proud of it's people right now.

In a weird sort of way, I think we may have the terrorists to thank for all this solidarity. If this had happened 3 or 4 years ago, the way this crisis was handled may have been a lot different.
"What doesn't kill you, strengthens you."

BTW, when I look at the blackout map, it's interesting to see just how close we were here in RI to the affected area. Looks like just barely made it.

emergent

First Post
Re: This bited :)

Oaken25 said:

It is said that a bolt of lightning hit one power plant in Quebec and Canada's power tried to draw on NY's and it over loaded our plants and they all shut down because they couldn't handle the draw.

At least that is the current theory.

Sure. "Blame Canada!" :D

Fiery James

First Post
Power's back in about half of Toronto, but there seems to be "rolling blackouts" that hit after a few hours.

Where I am, in the 'burbs, we were back up around 5:10 this morning, but my sister a few km away is still down. Good news, though, 'cause I get to stay home from work (the drive home last night was very odd, but lots of friendliness on the road, which was cool!)

What a great time to have a really humid and hot day! I plan to stay in the shade and drink lots of water!!

- James

Oh yeah, go buy Plague of Dreams! :)

Remove ads