• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Movies based on book HELP

Lady Starhawk

First Post
I already posted in the non RPG sci-fi and fantasy board, but I need help before Friday evening and I don't know if there's enough traffic there. I apologize in advance if I have acted inappropriately.

Onto my request:
I need suggestions for movies based on books. I am joining a book club that's a little different.
The MISFITS Read The Book/See The Movie Club is designed for people who wish to stretch their critical thinking muscles. We will be reading the source material for movies, or the novelizations of movies, and then watching the films together.
I am going for my first meeting this week and I got an e-mail that they will be deciding what to do for the next year at the meeting this week.

I need suggestions, something to mention at the meeting tomorrow (Friday).

PLEASE help me, I don't want to look like an idiot in front of these people.
Lady Starhawk

NOTE:
Here's a link to the list of movies/books already done
www.misfit.org/bookmovie/bookmoviehistory.htm

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Run Silent, Run Deep. The book, by Commander Edward Beach, is vastly superior to the Clark Gable/Burt Lancaster flick from 1958 (IIRC). They mangled the original storyline into unrecognizability and made it standard Hollywood submarine-movie fare. Brilliant book, though.

The Man Eaters of Tsavo by Colonel Patterson. The movie The Ghost and the Darkness was based on this book, written in 1909. The book is actually pretty good, considering the time it came from.

Private Parts - Howard Stern's autobiography is both touching and raunchy - and ver funny. The movie does a good job putting the book on the big screen. Howard is a lot more self-effacing than one would expect.

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Off of the top of my head...

Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. They'll then have both the 1968 and 2001 versions of the movie to compare to the original novel.

Supertoys Last All Summer Long by Brian Aldiss. It is the original inspiration for Kubrick/Spielberg's A.I.

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

Lord of the Flies by William Gerald Golding.

A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nasar.

I'll add more suggestions as I think of them.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Well, you have a many Grisham and Crichton novels that have been made into movies. Too many for me to type up. You have Harry Potter (really surprised that wasn't on the list). You have Patriot Games, Sum or All Fears, and the other Clancy Novel they made into a movie. I'd didn't see Dracula or Frankenstien on the list. There are the many Steven King movies that have been books first. I think Kuntz has had one or two movies from his books as well.

WEll, that's from the top of my head. Hope it helps. :)

Sounds like a great club!

Here's a few suggestions:

A Clockwork Orange - book by Anthony Burgess; film by Stanley Kubrick

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - book by Victor Hugo; various films starring Lon Chaney (1923 - silent), Charles Laughton (1939), and a Disney cartoon musical (1996)

Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde - book by Robert Louis Stevenson; film starring Fredrich March (1931) - first and only horror film to win Best Actor until Anthony Hopkins in 1991. Speaking of which:

Silence of the Lambs - book by Thomas Harris; film by Jonathan Demme.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
...and let's not forget Thomas Harris' Red Dragon, made into the brilliant Michael Mann film Manhunter, from 1986. The first screen appearance by the character of Hannibal Lector (and the guy who caught him). One of my favorite films. They're going to remake this into a film with Anthony Hopkins, which I find unnecessary.

There is also The Haunting. I forget the book's author. Be sure to see the original film version, and not the recent one. A brilliant, atmospheric, scary film.

Droogie

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
[B
There is also The Haunting. I forget the book's author. Be sure to see the original film version, and not the recent one. A brilliant, atmospheric, scary film. [/B]

Is that the black/white Robert Wise flick? ssccaarryy!

Anyway....

Minority Report. Gone with the Wind. A Farewell to Arms. Grapes of Wrath. To Kill a Mockingbird. Of Mice and Men. Almost all Steven King movies. All the Hanibal Lector movies. Harry Potter. Jurrassic Park. Interview with a Vampire. Romeo and Juliet(modern version with Leo DiCaprio). One Flew Over The CooCoo's Nest. There are tons tons tons!

I would suggest picking films that deviate considerably from the book. It would be worth a juicier discussion.

A few more...

Song of Bernadette - book by Franz Werfel; film starring Jennifer Jones.

Dracula - novel by Bram Stoker; many film versions--horror, romantic, sexual, etc. You could do the novel, then the 1922 German silent classic Nosferatu and then Shadow of the Vampire (which is about making Nosferatu). :)

The movie The Haunting is based on a novel by Shirley Jackson, but the novel is called The Haunting of Hill House.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads