[OT] My first catalog request from Death Row

Altalazar

First Post
That's very interesting. There aren't that many people on death row - some states don't even have a death row.

I can think of a lot worse things for them to be doing other than gaming. Roleplaying is even used in some prisons (not D&D) for therapy purposes - it works extremely well. They treat the prisoners and they have a very low return rate to prison. In the prisons where they brutalize them, 'hard time' they almost all end up back in prison after release. I know which I'd prefer for society.

So now we need to lobby for D&D to be allowed in prisons everywhere...

Dark Helmet

First Post
WSmith said:
Funny thing you say that, Derrek. I 3/4 finished an article to be submitted to Dragon Magazine on how to spruce up the "..you wake up as a slave with no possessions in a jail cell" situation used time over be DMs everywhere. I guess I should finish it. :D

Player:"I immediately file a writ of habeus corpus."
DM:"Roll your skill check."
Player:"Remember, I have 2 ranks in Jailhouse Lawyer."
DM:"OK. Make a roll against a DC15."
Player: ::rolls:: "A 3. CRAP!"
DM:"The Appelate Court rejects your appeal. And your cellmate thinks you have a 'purdy mouth'."
:)

Dark Helmet

First Post
Number47 said:
Let me see. You are in the business to sell RPG materials. It may be a hobby for you, but you do sell these things for your primary income, right? Then you find out somebody in prison wants books. THEN you find out that if you sell this guy in prison books, he will probably refer A LOT of business to you. Wow! What a great customer. I would send him a free DMs guide! If he's going to turn over so much business for you, he deserves it! Hey, if it were me, I would in fact proactively find out what prison would allow me to ship RPG products to inmates and actively seek them as consumers! Remember that every dollar (or tuna) that these guys spend on gaming is one that isn't going for drugs or other "prohibiteds". Every hour they spend on gaming is one that they aren't getting into some serious trouble or plotting up some trouble. This is good for you, good for them. If you don't do it, then I will! I swear I will go into business selling RPGs to inmates. There won't even be any overhead for a storefront!

This has been a Public Service Announcement from Number47 and the Ad Council. :)

med stud

First Post
I dont hink D&D will make it look like he got away with what he did, and I dont think more people will commit murder while someone on the death row plays D&D. Either D&D or playboy, and D&D seems a bit more constructive.

P.S You have to be kidding on the homosexual material issue?! Either that, or they are using rules from the 19th century.

Voadam

Legend
I would say send him your catalog and sell to him if he chooses to buy your products.

The criminal justice system is set up to handle criminal punishment and you are under no obligation to increase the actual punishment for his conviction by denying him legal commercial transactions.

Similarly you are under no obligation to deal with him.

I would suggest figuring out what categories of people you actively do not want to deal with (people who have wronged you or people you know, certain countries or entities for political reasons [such as boycotting south africa while it was under apartheid], or customers in your physical store who are abusive and disruptive) and then figure out if he falls into any of those categories.

You are not obligated to individually judge him worthy of your business before dealing with him.

maddman75

First Post
Derek, just wanted to get my $.02 in before this thread gets closed. :)

I'd not worry about sending it to him. After all, if its allowed by the prison then it obviously isn't a big deal. These guys could be doing worse with their time. And it would seem to me to give the COs some leverage - keep out of trouble or you won't be gaming this week.

Remove ads