[OT] My first catalog request from Death Row

Kestrel

Explorer
Just curious WSmith. They can have (metal) cans of Tuna or Mackerel? I was under the impression that they were restricted from metallic objects like that considering that even the lid of one of those cans can be pretty sharp and made into a weapon.

WSmith

First Post
Kestrel said:
Just curious WSmith. They can have (metal) cans of Tuna or Mackerel? I was under the impression that they were restricted from metallic objects like that considering that even the lid of one of those cans can be pretty sharp and made into a weapon.

Exactly! But in the low security they don't worry about that. Here in the Penn, there are and will be no cans, so they will decide what is the item closet in price to $1 and that will become there currency. Be it a bag or rice, or chips, or deoderant.

Also don;t get the wrong idea. THIS stuff is not allowed or permitted, but it is almost impossible to physically prove cause no one talks or admits anything. And if they do, they fear for their life. :eek:

WSmith

First Post
Funny thing you say that, Derrek. I 3/4 finished an article to be submitted to Dragon Magazine on how to spruce up the "..you wake up as a slave with no possessions in a jail cell" situation used time over be DMs everywhere. I guess I should finish it. :D

King_Stannis

Explorer
Re: I talked to the prison...

TalonComics said:
Thanks WSmith for that info!
Weirdly enough it actually gives me some ideas for some gaming plots.

I talked to the prison yesterday and apparently the prisoners can have books that A. Don't contain criminal activity and B. Scenes of homosexuality.
The person I talked to said that if I do send him stuff more than likely word will pass around that I will send stuff to prisoners as apparently not many places do.

So, with that being said, do I want that kind of clientele? Some of the posts here have really made me think about rehabilitation vs. making punishment pass like a holiday. Plus, gaming is my life, hobby and job. Do I want to let in people to that who have done things so vile they're on Death Row?

Truly, I haven't made a decision about this and it seems now one not made lightly with the info WSmith and others have provided.

~Derek

sell it to him, derek. it's your livelihood. besides, it is not against the law for you to do it - and it's not up to you to decide what is right or wrong - only what is legal and illegal.

do you think the cable companies stand up and say "no" to servicing prisons? or newspapers?

as much as i hate it, inmates are allowed such things. as long as they are, you would be foolish not to take the sale. especially when you will take their money and (hopefully) do something nice with it.

bolen

First Post
Are you serious? They expressly forbid homosexual literature and allow other forms of sexual literature. Does this mean that Playboy is allowed but what ever the gay equivelant is not. That makes sense!!

Number47

First Post
Let me see. You are in the business to sell RPG materials. It may be a hobby for you, but you do sell these things for your primary income, right? Then you find out somebody in prison wants books. THEN you find out that if you sell this guy in prison books, he will probably refer A LOT of business to you. Wow! What a great customer. I would send him a free DMs guide! If he's going to turn over so much business for you, he deserves it! Hey, if it were me, I would in fact proactively find out what prison would allow me to ship RPG products to inmates and actively seek them as consumers! Remember that every dollar (or tuna) that these guys spend on gaming is one that isn't going for drugs or other "prohibiteds". Every hour they spend on gaming is one that they aren't getting into some serious trouble or plotting up some trouble. This is good for you, good for them. If you don't do it, then I will! I swear I will go into business selling RPGs to inmates. There won't even be any overhead for a storefront!

Gargoyle

Adventurer

TalonComics said:
Thanks WSmith for that info!
Weirdly enough it actually gives me some ideas for some gaming plots.

I talked to the prison yesterday and apparently the prisoners can have books that A. Don't contain criminal activity and B. Scenes of homosexuality.
The person I talked to said that if I do send him stuff more than likely word will pass around that I will send stuff to prisoners as apparently not many places do.

So, with that being said, do I want that kind of clientele? Some of the posts here have really made me think about rehabilitation vs. making punishment pass like a holiday. Plus, gaming is my life, hobby and job. Do I want to let in people to that who have done things so vile they're on Death Row?

Truly, I haven't made a decision about this and it seems now one not made lightly with the info WSmith and others have provided.

~Derek

If the prison allows them to have it, and they want it, I say sell it to them. Be an impartial merchant of goods and trust the criminal justice system to punish them.

I don't feel sorry for inmates, but I don't see the logic of punishing them more than the system is. All IMO.

Wicht

Hero

TalonComics said:

Send him the catalog. He's on death row. While as a Christian I hope he makes some life changes before he dies rehabilitation is not the issue.

eXodus

Explorer

TalonComics said:

derek,

you have a tough decision ahead of you. it is not often that one gets a chance to judge a person based on something like this. there are chances that similarly vile people have bought things from you via the mail or in person and you had no idea. but then you have a business to run. you have bills to pay. is it against your moral compass to sell products to convicted killers? what if he is not actually guilty. it is all a lot to think about.

good luck, friend

Olive

Explorer
DocMoriartty said:
Anyone on death row is there for a horrible crime that at the very least includes them willfully murdering another person.

Do you want to see to such a person even if you could?

Pesonally I would not want to do a single thing that might alleviate their boredom or take their minds off the fact that they will eventually get their just desserts for their actions.

Please don't sully my great hobby by selling to this lower then the lowest denominator of our culture.

are you on crack? how many people convicted and put on death row are not guilty? how many on death row are black or latino when similar crimes committed by white people are punished with life sentances? what about class issues?

arrrrgghhhhh....sorry, must stop talking politics, but i couldn't help myself...

Remove ads